Author Topic: Aftermath: G.A.G.E News & New Interview With Marsha Ambrosius!  (Read 172 times)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Aftermath: G.A.G.E News & New Interview With Marsha Ambrosius!
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »

G.A.G.E.'s wrappin up his debut album "My Life" in L.A. and Atlanta and he worked with Good Charlotte, Truth Hurts and others. There's no release date yet, but you can listen to his track "Be Easy" feat. Akon.

Don't forget to visit G.A.G.E. @ MySpace to listen to some new tracks. Be sure to keep checking with www.Aftermathmusic.com for exclusive updates on him as well as his debut album!

Aftermathmusic.com took time to speak with Marsha Ambrosius of Floetry regarding her upcoming projects, how she feels about signing to the Math. We also took time out to discuss her past and how she met Dr. Dre. Check out what she had to say.

www.Aftermathmusic.com

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Re: Aftermath: G.A.G.E News & New Interview With Marsha Ambrosius!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
what does gage stand for again? gotta eat or some shit?
who produced the akon joint? i'm assuming dude will have dre beats? if the albums done it must mean he got like one or two dre beats.

this ain't work with good charlotte, it's cool that rap works with rock but i'm looking forward to the day when rap will work with good rock.

someone wanna paste the ambrosius interview, that site is kinda weird to navigate through, sketchy font...whole situation's kinda suspect

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:15 PM »
Aftermathmusic.com:
Hey Marsha. Please go ahead and introduce yourself to the people who ain't familiar with Marsha Ambrosius of Floetry.

Marsha Ambrosius:
Well, my name is Marsha Ambrosius, I was born in Liverpool England, moved to London age 6... both my parents have been influential on my chosen career .. my mother.. an avid music lover, my father.. basketball coach/musician... due to tearing ligaments during one of my best basketball seasons, yes I used to play... stress used to (but I'll let you have it if you talk enough trash *laughs*) music became my safe haven.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Who inspires you to do what you do? Who are some of your musical influences?

Marsha Ambrosius:
Living life inspires me to do what I do... I have a very close knit family, beautiful friends, there are so many experiences to write about, both my own and the gossip... Musically, I've been fortunate enough to have a variety of very different influences, from Weather Report to Queen, from Larry Graham to Sting, from Aretha to Mary, Earth Wind & Fire to Jodeci and everything else in between.

Aftermathmusic.com:
You began your career as songwriter in 1997 and you wrote for Jill Scott, Bilal or Michael Jackson. How was it working with them?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I signed my 1st pub deal in 1997 to Perfect Songs... I'm still with them to this day, this year being our 10Year Anniversary (Wow, just peeped that) they sought me out after I had recorded a demo which started getting radio play in the UK called "Is This Real". I also signed a solo artist song deal with WEA Warner UK. I guess it just wasn't my time as an artist then so I concentrated on the writing...

Nothing substantial took off till I got to Philadelphia in spring of 2000. The Floetry project sparked interest on the Philly scene and I got to be around incredible artists and producers who were making their mark at that time. A Touch of Jazz (Jazzy Jeff's studio) at the time had 6 amazing producers... (Dre & Vidal, Carv & Ivan and Dee & Keith) running 3 rooms... I got the chance to do backgrounds on "Long Walk" remix for Jill and co-wrote a duet for the Rush Hour 2 soundtrack.

Jill Scott, I have nothing but love for her, working with her at the time was like a dream come true coz I was a fan... Bilal, his voice is like no other, he's an instrument, I was fortunate to get that opportunity coz he was at the tail end of recording his debut album. Michael Jackson... what can I say... there are few people in this world that can say they have been in the studio with him... I produced both musically and vocally Michael Jackson alongside Andre Harris...

I had to get it together for that one. ironically enough the song title "Butterflies". I had them the whole time... who would of thought that a demo recorded in 1997 that nobody was feeling at all, would get the attention of the world's most famous??!! Not I... the song was part of the Floetry demo and his people heard it, played it for him, he loved it, the rest is history.

Aftermathmusic.com:
You have been gaining a very large buzz in the RnB scene. How does that feel?

Marsha Ambrosius:
The buzz... feels good, feels really good. I'm thankful, happy to know that people are watching this space.

Aftermathmusic.com:
How would you describe yourself as an artist and where do you see your music being categorised?

Marsha Ambrosius:
As an artist, I would describe myself as many others have. I'm a singer! Sounds simple, but to me, a huge compliment. I've always wanted to be a singer. As far as me being categorised... not a lot of people have said just one thing... I believe I sing from my heart and soul, through my tears and joy... I guess you could find me in the RnB/Hip-Hop/Classic section. I didn't take an Opera singing class but I should coz too many people think I have.

Aftermathmusic.com:
With six Grammy nods, six Soul Train awards, a NAACP nomination for Outstanding New Artist, a standing ovation at BET's Walk of Fame you and Natalie (Floetry) prove themselves to be true pioneers in your field. And now you are signed to the Math. So how did you hook up with Dr. Dre in the first place?

Marsha Ambrosius:
With so many wonderful achievements already, its kind of difficult to dream the next dream... I've found myself just taking things one day at a time and there's always something fresh and new and unexpected. We (Floetry) had 2 shows back to back, same night at The Roxy in LA November 2005... Rumor has it, Prince and Dr.Dre are in the building... so I'm hype, I'm ready to show off (laugh) I'm singing my ass off to a point where I black out... don't recall how it got to Say Yes in the set but the band breaks down, the crowd is going crazy... I finally open my eyes... there they are, Dre, Prince... its crazy... crowd is hype, I'm hype for a whole other reason...

Next day, my manager J.Erving III gives me The Phone Call... "Are you interested in pursuing a solo career??? Dr.Dre wants to meet today to discuss possible Aftermath venture..." ("Well Alright... shoo be de doo be de dee dee... ahh yeah..." Luther Vandross) that was my theme song... I think I started crying too... Laughs ("Hell yeah..." Let Me Ride The Chronic) We met the night after the show, talked about it, he played me some tracks, one in particular stood out, I wrote it right then in there in about 10mins... he can account for that too... I said I wanted to record it... I cut the song that night... that joint might end up being the 1st single... it was crazy... 50Cent just happened to be coming through the studio while I'm in the booth... Floetry Live on DirectTV just happened to be on TV too... it was meant to be...

Aftermathmusic.com:
When did you signed your contract?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I officially signed late last year... of course, had to get the business straight 1st but that didn't detere from the recording process.

Aftermathmusic.com:
What's your thoughts about this deal? Can you give us some details?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I'm excited about it... the deal couldn't have came at a better time. For myself, I needed a breathe of fresh air and this feels like the best thing for me.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Signed on the math as a solo musician - Is all of that exciting for you right now? I mean, a lot of people say that you are one of the future stars of RnB. Do you feel the pressure when you hear comments like that?

Marsha Ambrosius:
One of the future stars of RnB Marsha Ambrosius... the recognition is an achievement in itself... the fact that people are putting comments like that out there means that they are anticpating the project and that's all I could wish for.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Did you get a chance to meet all Aftermath artists?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I've met most if not all prior to being signed over there... except Eminem... I really want him to do a verse on this twisted tale of a song I decided to record one night... we'll see.

Aftermathmusic.com:
You was featured on several tracks from Busta, Game, Hi-Tek. When can we expect your own album on the Math?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I'm saying late 2007... I'm saying (laughs) we'll see... I'm working my ass off to ensure that but timing is everything so when it drops, it has to be right, so expect my album at the right time.

Aftermathmusic.com:
3 Floetry albums and now your own album. Who's gonna be on the new album and what producers are on the album and are there any featurings? Can you give us some more information?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I'll be on my album (laughs) the new and improved - I want to give you more information, however, i don't want to jinx anything... I'm in love with certain records now and I know I can't have all of them on this album.

Aftermathmusic.com:
How many tracks did you record for your album?

Marsha Ambrosius:
Right now I have about 30 songs... that I love... trying to narrow that down to 12... there are about 15 to 20 songs that I have in the stash that I never saw me recording for my project but other people beg to differ... do the Math.... I gotta lot a songs!

Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us a little bit about the creative process and how you go about making your songs?

Marsha Ambrosius:
If I'm in love with the track, the song just happens... like its already written... I can hear the background harmonies, what the concept is, see who I'm talking to... its weird... many engineers have called me a weirdo... in a good way... (laughs) it just happens, its magic.

Aftermathmusic.com:
What would you say seperates you from all the r&b cats that are outthere right now in the game?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I have a real nice resume (laughs) my story is different, that's the beauty... individuality... you can only be the best you... there is no comparison.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Which albums from Aftermath can we expect in 2007?

Marsha Ambrosius:
Besides mine? (laughs) "Detox" September is the album I and everybody else been waiting on.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Do you have some guest appearances on these albums?

Marsha Ambrosius:
We'll see!

Aftermathmusic.com:
How was the work with Dr. Dre?

Marsha Ambrosius:
Dre has a great ear for music... his sound being so distinct, there was no telling what was going to happen when we combined creatively... I'm a student... I learn a lot working with him... I've explored different aspects of myself as an artist working with him... its great.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Do you have any other projects coming up or is there anything else we should know?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I'm writing on a few projects... but I don't care to say till I see myself in the credits if you know what I mean. I learned that one the hard way.

Aftermathmusic.com:
What type of music do you have in your CD changer?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I'm listening to a lot of soundtracks and scores right now... Beetlejuice, Charlie Brown's Christmas, Superman... and whatever tracks I'm writing to.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Do you have any regrets from being in the entertainment industry?

Marsha Ambrosius:
Personal time is limited and you can't please everybody... I'd probably be wifed up with kids and a dog by now... I chose the life, I made my decision and stand by it proud... my time will come.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Overall how do you feel about women in the music business?

Marsha Ambrosius:
I have a lot of respect for women who choose to be in the music business... the sacrifices, the struggles, its all part of the game... more power to us.

Aftermathmusic.com:
What do you consider the most valuable lesson you've learned in the industry?

Marsha Ambrosius:
What do you consider the most valuable lesson you've learned in the industry? Nothing is promised!

Aftermathmusic.com:
Thank you for this interview, Marsha!

Marsha Ambrosius:
Much luv,
Marsha Ambrosius
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
who produced the akon joint? i'm assuming dude will have dre beats? if the albums done it must mean he got like one or two dre beats.

this ain't work with good charlotte, it's cool that rap works with rock but i'm looking forward to the day when rap will work with good rock.

someone wanna paste the ambrosius interview, that site is kinda weird to navigate through, sketchy font...whole situation's kinda suspect

-T

Nah the site is being re-done.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
you right, checked it, looks cool. props

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
Props, I doubt she'll release an album on Aftermath, hope she does a song or two on Detox.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »
Props, I doubt she'll release an album on Aftermath, hope she does a song or two on Detox.

Awww, deep down I knew you were a good guy.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Bones01

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »
Germantown Ave Gotta Eat.
Can't see his album comming out this year hopefully next year. Heres a couple of tracks one with good chorlate

Germantown Ave- http://www.sendspace.com/file/gynzfk   8) 8) Don't Sleep

Please Believe It Feat Good Chorlate - http://www.sendspace.com/file/xmbcg8

Nice to see Marsha being realistic bout when her album drops

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:38:41 AM »
^^ yeah. I don't see Marsha or Gage dropping before '08. Same with Joell, Tiffany and Dion.