Author Topic: New Young Buck intervew (album, hip hop is dead....)  (Read 423 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: New Young Buck intervew (album, hip hop is dead....)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 09:13:24 PM »
50 makes maaaaad cake from all G-Unit releases.  I don't know the exact numbers of course, but I'd be willing to bet its at least 25-50%.  Hell he still gets 25% from Game and he's on Geffen now.  I'm pretty sure he's concerned with how his artists are selling.  He's investing time and money on these artists.   Plus there were all those rumors about how Interscope was allegedly severing ties with pretty much everyone on G-Unit except for 50 because they were losing money on those releases.  Now who knows how accurate that is, but I bet there is some truth to it and no way would 50 want that to happen.

And granted, 50 can release an album and it's still gonna go platinum, but Em & Dre eat off of his album sales too.  So when he sees his brand failing, the writing's already on the wall.  That's gotta have him concerned.

Yeah, but the point is, his shit's still coming out regardless of whether Buck (or anyone else on the label) flops.  Even if Interscope hesitates to support more releases by his other G-Unit artists, they sure as hell ain't gonna hesitate to put his shit out.  I mean let's face it, his next album is pretty much guaranteed to go at least Platinum (and probably more) based on his fans alone, and the music industry being what it is, that means a follow-up to THAT album will be inevitable.  So chances are, you're gonna see at least another two 50 Cent albums get released before he falls off completely.

Agreed.  50 is coming out regardless.  Interscope is gonna ride him till the wheels fall off.  But his roster's success is somewhat of a barometer of his place in hip hop between albums.  It won't prohibit him from dropping, but those albums failing to measure up to their prior success does not speak well for him.

And I thought I read that his next album was gonna be a double which I believe would fulfill his contract with Interscope.  I think after that, he'll be negotiating w/ Interscope, and if they don't give him what he wants in regards to $ and a place for his label, there's a great chance that he's going elsewhere.

Narrator

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »
But his roster's success is somewhat of a barometer of his place in hip hop between albums.  It won't prohibit him from dropping, but those albums failing to measure up to their prior success does not speak well for him.

Not really.  Look at Snoop...just about every group he's put out has fallen off after 1 or 2 albums.  DPG fell off after "Dogg Food", Tha Eastsidaz' 2nd album didn't perform up to expectations, and the 213 reunion was a complete failure.  It's inevitable that if a group is riding their more famous leader's coattails (and we can all agree that G-Unit was doing that with 50), they're gonna cool WAY down when he cools down "just a lil bit".

The fact is, 50's music still sells.  He still has hits on the radio, and just about every bitch I know thinks he's sexy.  He may not be the end-all, be-all of street cred that he was just 3-4 years ago, but he's got a fairly solid core audience.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »
^^ Exactly. If what Jrome said was truth then Luda, Snoop, Nelly, Eminem, Nas, Busta wouldnt do shit anymore.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
Its more that theyve realized hip hop aint just GUnit. Both 50 and Buck are working with lots of people from outside the camp for their projects.

I think they both relaized from the beginning that name GUnit alone wont keep them at the top.

This is even better if you ask me, I was getting tired of them only collaborating with their in hosue producers and artists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same one complaining about Game having too many producers/guest on his album? Double standard?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
Its more that theyve realized hip hop aint just GUnit. Both 50 and Buck are working with lots of people from outside the camp for their projects.

I think they both relaized from the beginning that name GUnit alone wont keep them at the top.

This is even better if you ask me, I was getting tired of them only collaborating with their in hosue producers and artists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same one complaining about Game having too many producers/guest on his album? Double standard?

Yeah, I guess it's okay for 50 cause he doesn't talk about Dr.Dre all the time. He's so much more talented because he doesn't talk about Dr.Dre all the time. Didn't you know, all value or talent Game ever had has been voided since detox ain't coming and he talks about Dre all the time....whoah man this is too fun i could go on forever but yeah I agree people are extra hard on Game when 50 is the one who needs to get spit out like cold soup. Check: 50 is the reason Dre beats go to Yayo and not Kurupt and that shit is as wrong as a million bucks spent on a bomb and not a baby's education.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »
But his roster's success is somewhat of a barometer of his place in hip hop between albums.  It won't prohibit him from dropping, but those albums failing to measure up to their prior success does not speak well for him.

Not really.  Look at Snoop...just about every group he's put out has fallen off after 1 or 2 albums.  DPG fell off after "Dogg Food", Tha Eastsidaz' 2nd album didn't perform up to expectations, and the 213 reunion was a complete failure.  It's inevitable that if a group is riding their more famous leader's coattails (and we can all agree that G-Unit was doing that with 50), they're gonna cool WAY down when he cools down "just a lil bit".

The fact is, 50's music still sells.  He still has hits on the radio, and just about every bitch I know thinks he's sexy.  He may not be the end-all, be-all of street cred that he was just 3-4 years ago, but he's got a fairly solid core audience.

You honestly don't see G-Units flops, pushbacks, and never released albums as a bad sign for 50?  And like I said, I believe 50 will still be a multi platinum artist and he could be for a while.  But I guarantee you he's concerned about it, which has been my point to which you countered that you don't think he's that concerned.

My initial point that I posted is that 50 desperately needs Buck's album do be successful to keep his brand / label alive.  If 50 is the only artist on G-Unit / Interscope, then yes I believe it will be just fine for the next relase or two.  However, that's not the case.  50 is signed to Shady / Aftermath in which Dre and Em get the majority of his points on an album.  His stable of artists are signed to G-Unit.  I'm not saying he needs it to be successful for his personal career.  Regardless of those guys  successes or lack thereof, he's still going platinum for a while.   Everyone on HIS G-Unit label is declining sales wise and not hitting expectations.  The label that only he and his artists eat from, not Dre and Em.  And he's cakin big time off every release that come out on G-Unit.  If that goes away, so does a nice chunk of 50's money.  If he's the hustler that I think he is, he's extremely concerned by it.

^^ Exactly. If what Jrome said was truth then Luda, Snoop, Nelly, Eminem, Nas, Busta wouldnt do shit anymore.

Which of those guys had more than one solo artist who was signed to their label go platinum?  Luda only had Chingy, which was only for one album.  After he left DTP he fell off by himself.  No one else in DTP is relevant.  Snoop has never put out a solo act on his own label that ever went platinum.  Em had Obie Trice, but that's it.  No one out of D-12 has gone close to platinum as a solo artist.  Nobody on your list has had a label that boasted the solo success that G-Unit has had which is why your comparison is flawed.

You'd have to compare G-Unit to the Bad Boys, Death Rows,  No Limits, Murder Inc.'s - labels that boasted a few solo acts that were capable of pushing major units on their own.  

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

You honestly don't see G-Units flops, pushbacks, and never released albums as a bad sign for 50?  And like I said, I believe 50 will still be a multi platinum artist and he could be for a while.  But I guarantee you he's concerned about it, which has been my point to which you countered that you don't think he's that concerned.

My initial point that I posted is that 50 desperately needs Buck's album do be successful to keep his brand / label alive.  If 50 is the only artist on G-Unit / Interscope, then yes I believe it will be just fine for the next relase or two.  However, that's not the case.  50 is signed to Shady / Aftermath in which Dre and Em get the majority of his points on an album.  His stable of artists are signed to G-Unit.  I'm not saying he needs it to be successful for his personal career.  Regardless of those guys  successes or lack thereof, he's still going platinum for a while.   Everyone on HIS G-Unit label is declining sales wise and not hitting expectations.  The label that only he and his artists eat from, not Dre and Em.  And he's cakin big time off every release that come out on G-Unit.  If that goes away, so does a nice chunk of 50's money.  If he's the hustler that I think he is, he's extremely concerned by it.

Which of those guys had more than one solo artist who was signed to their label go platinum?  Luda only had Chingy, which was only for one album.  After he left DTP he fell off by himself.  No one else in DTP is relevant.  Snoop has never put out a solo act on his own label that ever went platinum.  Em had Obie Trice, but that's it.  No one out of D-12 has gone close to platinum as a solo artist.  Nobody on your list has had a label that boasted the solo success that G-Unit has had which is why your comparison is flawed.

You'd have to compare G-Unit to the Bad Boys, Death Rows,  No Limits, Murder Inc.'s - labels that boasted a few solo acts that were capable of pushing major units on their own.  

obie trice went fuckin' platinum??
-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Narrator

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:17 PM »

First of all, as long as 50 is commercially successful (as we agree he probably will be for years to come), he will have clout to put shit out, exactly as Snoop does now despite the poor track record of Doggystyle Records.  For all we know, at some point he discovers a much-hyped artist who has as much potential as Game (except that this time, 50 doesn't beef with him and kick him off his label), signs that artist to his label, and they prove profitable.  But that aside, I don't particularly think 50 is concerned even if Em and Dre are making money off his shit.  You've said it yourself...he can ultimately fulfill his contract and leave Shady/Aftermath (while still being distributed by Interscope, as G-Unit releases are now).  As long as he himself still sells records, what does it matter then?

Oh, and one other thing you've forgot is that he can always take his label to Koch for distribution if he has to (which is what Snoop had to do for "Cali Iz Active", and what he will be doing for probably all of his future group projects like Warzone).  It would be ironic and humiliating given what 50 said in that interview a while back, but it would still make $$$$$, most likely.  And I'm sure that if Dipset can hustle hard on Koch, so can he.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
G-Unit fans like G-Units music. I'm not a Nas or Jay-Z fan, so I don't like their music. Not liking something has nothing to do with the quality of music. G-Units quality might have gone down (who knows its all opinion) but their fan base went down. If you don't like G-Unit, thats fine, not everyone likes everything. I started liking G-Unit around the Massacre dropped, and I've enjoyed all their releases to date. If you don't enjoy their music, why bother? Why bother saying they suck just because you don't like them.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 05:49:46 PM »

I said too many producers usually fuck up the vibe of the album. This will probably happene ehre too but I havent heard the cd yet.

With guests its different. You can have a lot of guests and it works great (Big Bang) or not so great. Again, time will tell.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 06:24:13 PM »
G-Unit fans like G-Units music. I'm not a Nas or Jay-Z fan, so I don't like their music. Not liking something has nothing to do with the quality of music. G-Units quality might have gone down (who knows its all opinion) but their fan base went down. If you don't like G-Unit, thats fine, not everyone likes everything. I started liking G-Unit around the Massacre dropped, and I've enjoyed all their releases to date. If you don't enjoy their music, why bother? Why bother saying they suck just because you don't like them.

I like discussing music, especially Hip Hop.  I have opinions on lots of shit I like and lots of shit I don't like.  I vent them on here.  And of course, If I say they suck, THEY SUCK.  Don't you see my name?  LOL, I'm playin man.  I'm speaking my opinion and I enjoy arguing my points.  It's nothing personal.

First of all, as long as 50 is commercially successful (as we agree he probably will be for years to come), he will have clout to put shit out, exactly as Snoop does now despite the poor track record of Doggystyle Records.  For all we know, at some point he discovers a much-hyped artist who has as much potential as Game (except that this time, 50 doesn't beef with him and kick him off his label), signs that artist to his label, and they prove profitable.  But that aside, I don't particularly think 50 is concerned even if Em and Dre are making money off his shit.  You've said it yourself...he can ultimately fulfill his contract and leave Shady/Aftermath (while still being distributed by Interscope, as G-Unit releases are now).  As long as he himself still sells records, what does it matter then?

Oh, and one other thing you've forgot is that he can always take his label to Koch for distribution if he has to (which is what Snoop had to do for "Cali Iz Active", and what he will be doing for probably all of his future group projects like Warzone).  It would be ironic and humiliating given what 50 said in that interview a while back, but it would still make $$$$$, most likely.  And I'm sure that if Dipset can hustle hard on Koch, so can he.

Yeah, 50 could def find the next talent and they could blow up.  But I believe that artist would have to be pretty special in his own right, because simply being affiliated with 50 isn't gonna catapult you to platinum status anymore.  I mean, take this new cat that they're hyping - Hot Rod.  I just don't see him amounting to much of anything.  I'm skeptical that he'll even garner enough buzz to actually release an album, much less on G-Unit / Interscope.  I won't say that being an artist for 50 is the kiss of death necessarily but for me personally, it carries a connotation that I'm not gonna take that artist that seriously.

The Koch thing was what I'm ultimately getting at.  Just for the sake of all the shit he's talked about sending people to Koch, it would be poetic justice if his label would be relegated to seek distribution from there as well.  It'd just be more proof that 50's words are not of much substance, just hype.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »

I said too many producers usually fuck up the vibe of the album. This will probably happene ehre too but I havent heard the cd yet.

With guests its different. You can have a lot of guests and it works great (Big Bang) or not so great. Again, time will tell.

Seems like you already have your mind made up to like this album just like you already had your mind made up to NOT like Game's album. Tsk tsk.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

smp4life

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 11:59:21 PM »
Maybe Spider Loc could bring G-Unit back...

lol

wcsoldier

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 12:44:19 AM »
Well every big labels fell off one day... G Unit is no exception, I agree with Jrome when he said G Unit ain't bringing something innovative on the table... bu even if they bring it, I doubt their sales will be much better... people who buy rap cds "love" the upcoming hyped artists then hate us.. people are tired of "G Unit" regardless their music... that happened for every label which oversatured the market.. imo you can't be on top for 10 years when you're in the news every fuckin day for 3 years... 50 , still he's a hustler, hasn't understood that, as Diddy (though he's making mad paper outside music ..) and Master P..

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 02:18:06 AM »

Seems like you already have your mind made up to like this album just like you already had your mind made up to NOT like Game's album. Tsk tsk.

If anything judging by the tracks leaked you can already tell this wont be a classic album. I was saying those things abotu Games album when people hyped it up to even be a classic, so I had to let them know why it aint.