Author Topic: I gave Nas' "I Am" another chance... I realized it's still trash.. And the Firm.  (Read 470 times)

eastcoast timbs

• 'G'
Threadstarter dont like NY State of Mind 2??? :o Wow, I can see how people dont like the album as a whole, but wow
And no love for Undying Love? i think that's the best joint on the whole album. My friend told me he was ready to throw his cd in the trash until he heard that song
I think I Am is a decent album, tho the bootleg version was far far superior. I rate it better than Nastradamus, Gods Son and Streets Disciple

The Firm is trash, but you cant put that on Nas
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:25:08 AM by eastcoast timbs »

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Threadstarter dont like NY State of Mind 2??? :o Wow, I can see how people dont like the album as a whole, but wow
And no love for Undying Love? i think that's the best joint on the whole album. My friend told me he was ready to throw his cd in the trash until he heard that song
I think I Am is a decent album, tho the bootleg version was far far superior. I rate it better than Nastradamus, Gods Son and Streets Disciple

The Firm is trash, but you cant put that on Nas

the dre tracks on firm are fire. i don't see how tracks like untouchable and firm fiaso aren't as good as phone tap sonically. Hajj abdul, you should look at my mafioso rap thread from a week or two ago, I'd like your thoughts.

i am as a whole is eh, but there's a substantial amount of good songs. some of his rapping is still really amazing like 'undying love' shit is crazy.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

d-nice

Nas was still in that Mafioso stage with I Am. I agree with the threadstarter but you have to understand the original I Am was heavily bootlegged. The majority of the songs on that album are new. Almost the entire Lost Tapes album he put out was supposed to be on I Am so Nas had to make a bunch of tracks so he could get the album out in time. I still dig the album but the original would have been a classic album. And it was supposed to be a double album. It even says it in the booklet on the Firm album.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Nas was still in that Mafioso stage with I Am. I agree with the threadstarter but you have to understand the original I Am was heavily bootlegged. The majority of the songs on that album are new. Almost the entire Lost Tapes album he put out was supposed to be on I Am so Nas had to make a bunch of tracks so he could get the album out in time. I still dig the album but the original would have been a classic album. And it was supposed to be a double album. It even says it in the booklet on the Firm album.

damn,i really need to cop lost tapes.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

d-nice

damn,i really need to cop lost tapes.

-T

Yeah you do. It's dope.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Am i the only one who still listens to The Firm album in whole almost regularly and thinks its a classic?

I Am has some good tracks too its not completely trash.

I like it, its not great but its good.

eastcoast timbs

• 'G'
Am i the only one who still listens to The Firm album in whole almost regularly and thinks its a classic?

I like it, its not great but its good.

Yo who's the Mary J looking bird in your sig, and do you have more of her?? :P

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The one on left or right?

eastcoast timbs

• 'G'
THE RIGHT
Aint no white chick lookin like no Mary J

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Completely agree,

chill
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Luke

• 'G'
  • Roll To Every Station Wreck The DJ
i've always thought I am was a great album...a lot of good songs...K.I.S.S.I.N.G. is the only song i thought was completely wack...favor for a favor, you won't see me tonight, ny state of mind 2, we will survive (my fav off the album), dr knockboot, money is my bitch...and nas is like...shit...i remember the first time i heard nas is like...i still get the same great feeling when i listen to it now...classic track

KURUPTION-81

i cant believe no one like small world, one of my fav nas tracks.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i cant believe no one like small world, one of my fav nas tracks.

i never owned i am but my friend toured me through the album several weeks ago and I remember liking damn near every track, i probably liked that one too.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

WestCoasta

nas is like is classic and hate me now, well you're just too pussy to really feel dominance as a man

lol

Efrain

Nas is an interesting dichotomy like that. On one hand he’s so creative and insightful it makes his talent incredible and ahead of the curve but on the other hand he can come off so wack, so hard to the point where you’re embarrassed for him. Not to mention some of his style and business decisions are so laughable it makes you really wonder how a smart guy can do shit like that.

He’s rapping about how hip-hop is dead and yet he’s arguably one of the worst offenders from the east coast of the “diamond flashin’” and “crystal sippin’” that opened the door for that watered down, flashy, bullshit rap we see today. He’s just one of those self contradicting artists that always changes his mind or flat out makes bad decisions from the get go then has to go back and fix them.

Don’t get me wrong I like Nas and when the music is good it’s good… but man, when it’s bad it is definitely bad. It's like he's always struggling to stay consistent, both with his music and his thoughts. He’s just hit or miss like that and I find it easier for me to listen to him if I don’t read what he has to say in interviews and if I take his declarations, collaborations and musical phases with an open mind and a grain of salt.