Author Topic: Best Kokane CD?  (Read 274 times)

DJSpin

Best Kokane CD?
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:19:58 AM »
I have Funk Upon a Rhyme, which is think is incredible
also WHo am I? Addictive Hip Hop Musik which is good too
I just got that Dr Jeckyl and Mr Kane...  this is hot too.

all of his other cds are so much $$$ on amazon, what do you guys think is his best work???  I wanna get my hands on "Dont Bite the Funk"  Mr Kane 1 & 2, and Painkillers ...what else is there??  and what is his best work in you guys opinions...   if anyone has some links too id appreciate that...over 30 bucks for a cd is insane!

Si-Chiggedy

Re: Best Kokane CD?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
check "back 2 tha clap" if you like fingazz beats. check "painkillerz" if you like straight funk. both cd's have their highpoints
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »
Mr Kane part two is better than back to tha clap and painkillarz.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Diggfinger

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:42 PM »

^^ I have to strongly disagree. Mr. Kane Part 2 consists partly of tracks that was meant for an album Kokane was going to put out after the Doggystyle situation didnt go through called "It's Kokane Not Lemon-Head" and just various unreleased tracks and random appearences.
It has some good tracks but lacks overall consistency, and to say it comes anywhere near Pain Killer'z, or Take It Back 2 Tha Clap for that matter, is ludacris in my opinion.

I have Funk Upon a Rhyme, which is think is incredible
also WHo am I? Addictive Hip Hop Musik which is good too
I just got that Dr Jeckyl and Mr Kane...  this is hot too.

all of his other cds are so much $$$ on amazon, what do you guys think is his best work???  I wanna get my hands on "Dont Bite the Funk"  Mr Kane 1 & 2, and Painkillers ...what else is there??  and what is his best work in you guys opinions...   if anyone has some links too id appreciate that...over 30 bucks for a cd is insane!

For me it's a tie between Funk Upon a Rhyme and Pain Killer'z. Funk Upon a Rhyme has the advantage that it is now 12 years old and thats allowable to label it "classic" (which it is). It's amazing that Koka had such introspect and insight at 23 and the album is both sad, fun and serious...dooope stuff 8)

But Pain Killer'z yall, pheew. Been bumping that since it came out in August and I aint gotten tired of the damn thang yet!!! Ok admitted Im not really feelin the casual-pimp-type track "Glass On It" too much, but it's still good fun once in awhile and the record has more than enough deep tracks to cover for that one. I have to say Pain Killer'z is just as good for it's time as Funk Upon a Rhyme was (and still is).

Oh and They Call Me Mr. Kane is a really good record too. It's kindda different from other Kokane albums though, frankly it took me years to really get into it. Kokane is mostly rapping on there but his style is a little more serious that you might be used to (which is not so odd seeing as how he had been living in a trailer with his family prior to recording it) and I have only recently begun really diggin it.
It's a cool record though with Battlecat, Tray Deee, Bad Azz, C-bo, Too Short and others on it, definately worth the 30 bucks.
You could try www.ebay.com though to see it u could find a cheaper copy!!! !

Cant wait to hear what u think about Pain Killer'z !! ;)

DJSpin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »
word up diggfinger..thanks for the writeups.. on your recomendation im probly going to go with Painkuillers and whatever is the next cheapest at this point for me..

by the way..anyone else got the Who Am I? cd..no one ever talks abotu that one

Diggfinger

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:15:32 PM »
word up diggfinger..thanks for the writeups.. on your recomendation im probly going to go with Painkuillers and whatever is the next cheapest at this point for me..

by the way..anyone else got the Who Am I? cd..no one ever talks abotu that one

oh yeah I got it. It's probably my least favourite CD from him though :)

it's really cool to own cuz its the first record he did and all, and it also cool to hear him just do the rap thing, buuuut it's a little too old-school for my taste....Funk Upon a Rhyme is just a million times better :)

hey check that other post ("Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Kane") again dude, Im upping some other Dogghouse tracks from Koka that u might not have!!

Diggfinger

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:06:11 PM »

Speaking on Fingazz though, here is a some studio footage of him and Koka working on "Take It Back 2 Tha Clap":

Desert Lord

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 05:14:39 PM »
I like all of his albums but if you not listen to kane for a long time i would personaly say "Mr. Kane pt 2" would be a good opinion...I love this album... "Pinky Ring Hook Up", "Step It Up", "Nasty" & others...
But if you a true Funkateer than it don't matter wich album you buy all of them are masterpieces if you ask me

Lion King

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:20:42 AM »
"Funk Upon A Rhyme" is deff his best album. By far.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:41:48 AM »
My fav is def Painkillers. Its his best solo effort, most of his other albums use too many features. This one has a few, but kok is the main part of every track, hook + verse. The production on this is amazing. Josef Leimberg is the best all around producer these days. Not even Dre can touch him.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »

^^ I have to strongly disagree. Mr. Kane Part 2 consists partly of tracks that was meant for an album Kokane was going to put out after the Doggystyle situation didnt go through called "It's Kokane Not Lemon-Head" and just various unreleased tracks and random appearences.
It has some good tracks but lacks overall consistency, and to say it comes anywhere near Pain Killer'z, or Take It Back 2 Tha Clap for that matter, is ludacris in my opinion.

Maybe i need to go back and listen to them a few more times to appreciate them.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Maxin in the Shade

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Best Kokane CD?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
im a fan of all his CD's. 'They Call Me Mr Kane' took me a while to appreciate, but it has its solid tracks aswell.

I enjoyed 'Take It Back To The Clap' but some songs i tend to skip.

My vote goes to 'Funk Upon a Rhyme' with 'Painkillerz' a very close second.
its hard to believe that FUAR was made so long ago. it still stands up to whatever is out today, and still sounds fresh and original!

would love to see kokane and Cold187um hook back up together, but im also really liking the Kokane and Josef Leimberg combo - they seem to have real chemistry.

does anyone know when the 'Suga-Kane' album is due for release? any tentative dates?
also, whos handling production?
Always talkin bout the cash he got, the little pesos for shows
And God knows his materialistic raps and wack flows
are like Stay Free pads, fake V.I.P. rappers get garbage disposed
Unrecouped for his flamboyance and reflection
He's leasin rentin and frontin
- Kool Keith 'Haters'

Diggfinger

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
I like all of his albums but if you not listen to kane for a long time i would personaly say "Mr. Kane pt 2" would be a good opinion...I love this album... "Pinky Ring Hook Up", "Step It Up", "Nasty" & others...
But if you a true Funkateer than it don't matter wich album you buy all of them are masterpieces if you ask me

So true ;D ;D everything Kokane does is pure dope....bakin soda free 8)

im a fan of all his CD's. 'They Call Me Mr Kane' took me a while to appreciate, but it has its solid tracks aswell.

I enjoyed 'Take It Back To The Clap' but some songs i tend to skip.

My vote goes to 'Funk Upon a Rhyme' with 'Painkillerz' a very close second.
its hard to believe that FUAR was made so long ago. it still stands up to whatever is out today, and still sounds fresh and original!

would love to see kokane and Cold187um hook back up together, but im also really liking the Kokane and Josef Leimberg combo - they seem to have real chemistry.

does anyone know when the 'Suga-Kane' album is due for release? any tentative dates?
also, whos handling production?

I agree completely!! I have had "They Call Me Mr. Kane" for years but it wasnt until recently I really started liking it. It's just a little darker in some weird way than Kokane's records normally are in some way.

Take It Back 2 Tha Clap was also good, but Fingazz some substantial weakness as a producer if you ask me. If course being a Kokane fan for years makes me really critical when it comes to such things, but the fact that Fingazz didnt use any bass and even took out talbbox parts on some songs really took alot away from it (not to mention adding annoying songs and looping hooks on certain songs).
But it is still a good record, and Koka is totally busting on there! In some ways more so than on Pain Killerz...

about Suga Kane: I talked to Josef who said that the record is basically finished just waiting for someone to show interest and invest in it!!!  >:( >:( man that pisses me off, everything Koka and them tried to do some stuff they have to fight to get it out....those sucka like business men will never know true music!