Poll

?

KG
7 (43.8%)
EB
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: RND 2. DUBCC'S GOAT PF: #3 KEVIN GARNETT VS #4 ELGIN BAYLOR  (Read 359 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: RND 2. DUBCC'S GOAT PF: #3 KEVIN GARNETT VS #4 ELGIN BAYLOR
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »

"When I came to professional basketball, I played the small forward and at times power forward.

so is that

What's your point? Tim Duncan played center and at times power forward. Tracy McGrady played small forward and at times shooting guard. Ever heard of combo players? Elgin said it himself, he prefered playing the power forward spot, and his career numbers definitely back that up...

Magic played center, and small foward, or as they called it, point forward. No one will confuse Magic for a small foward over point guard. TD played PF more than Elgin. I think Elgin is a great player, one of my favorites, but I'll always remember him running the wing with Jerry West running the point, NOT bodying people under the basket as he kicks out to West.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

"When I came to professional basketball, I played the small forward and at times power forward.

so is that

What's your point? Tim Duncan played center and at times power forward. Tracy McGrady played small forward and at times shooting guard. Ever heard of combo players? Elgin said it himself, he prefered playing the power forward spot, and his career numbers definitely back that up...

Magic played center, and small foward, or as they called it, point forward. No one will confuse Magic for a small foward over point guard. TD played PF more than Elgin. I think Elgin is a great player, one of my favorites, but I'll always remember him running the wing with Jerry West running the point, NOT bodying people under the basket as he kicks out to West.

Elgin Baylor redefined the power forward spot...he would run the wings while still bodying up people and rebounding like a beast, sorta like Lamar Odom. I somehow don't think you've watched enough film of him. To compare the amount of time Magic spent at center to the amount of time Elgin spent at power forward is RIDICULOUS.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:54 PM »

so is that

Elgin Baylor redefined the power forward spot...he would run the wings while still bodying up people and rebounding like a beast, sorta like Lamar Odom. I somehow don't think you've watched enough film of him. To compare the amount of time Magic spent at center to the amount of time Elgin spent at power forward is RIDICULOUS.

his a top 5 SF, active or not, I agree. But he may have liked PF, he did not play it much. In years the Lakers didn't have a PF, he filled in, but what was Happy Hairston, what was Rudy LaRusso. Yeah, the Lakers had a couple of years where Elgin filled in, after all, those Lakers had like 6-7 guards of the roster, but for the most part, Elgin was a SF who liked to bang, but his main game was being a wingman, he was Dr. J before the ABA existed. He is one of the, if not the most influential player for todays game. But he was influencing MJ, Dr. J, not Karl Malone.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 11:35:51 PM »
all i have to say is this because i don't want to drag this argument out too long

1. elgin baylor DEFINATELY qualifies as a power forward, the fact that he bodied up down low and grabbed as many rebounds as he did certainly backs that claim up.

2. baylor's STARTING posistion was almost always sf but that was mostly on paper, he was the 4 many many many many many times in games. that's why i put (i don't care what anyone says) when i voted, because i've seen baylor just muscling fools down low like a thinner barkley (who IMo is the consument PF) . Rudy Larusso and Happy Hairston were the lakers' power's on paper for most of baylor's career but watch the games and watch how they played the teams ...baylor=power forward in many of those games .

3. yes it is possible to have more than one 4 on the court at the same time

4. http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?title=Power_forward

http://sportscouch.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/the-greatest-power-fowards-of-all-time/

check 22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_rebounding_leaders

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:42:14 PM by Don Jacob »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:40 AM »
i just got to say that i'm excited for the outcome of this

in the Point guard vote we all knew it was magic
in the Center vote we all knew it was kareem

but in the power forward round i don't know who's going to take it!
will it be barkley?
will it be Malone?
will it be a laker sweep and be baylor?
or will KG or duncan make comebacks and take it?

what i'm really itching for is the small forward rounds....THAT"S some thick competition: pippen, bird, baylor again, rick barry, dominique , james worthy, dr. j,John Havlicek, alex english, paul arizin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »

so is that

his a top 5 SF, active or not, I agree. But he may have liked PF, he did not play it much. In years the Lakers didn't have a PF, he filled in, but what was Happy Hairston, what was Rudy LaRusso. Yeah, the Lakers had a couple of years where Elgin filled in, after all, those Lakers had like 6-7 guards of the roster, but for the most part, Elgin was a SF who liked to bang, but his main game was being a wingman, he was Dr. J before the ABA existed. He is one of the, if not the most influential player for todays game. But he was influencing MJ, Dr. J, not Karl Malone.

I dunno what your argument is? Elgin was a tweener. Probably one of the greatest early examples of a tweener EVER...You brought up Dr J...Dr J was a SG/SF in the same sense that Baylor was a SF/PF...I dunno what else to say. Baylor is MORE than qualified as a PF...PeACe

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »
in many cases baylor redefined the role of the power forward for future generations

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
^^

like Shawn Marion, Dirk, Lamar Odom, Etc

The Best of 3 Worlds