Author Topic: MAJOR COMPUTER PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED  (Read 319 times)

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
Re: MAJOR COMPUTER PROBLEM, HELP NEEDED
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 04:20:33 AM »
Evan The Dude your a life saver. That undelete program works like a charm so far! Thanks for all the help guys and Evan if you ever need anything let me know.

oh, no problem homie. glad i could be of help, and glad you got all of your shit back! i know how it feels when you have years of work *almost* lost  ;D

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 05:04:34 AM »
How do I back up my stuff?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »
Evan The Dude your a life saver. That undelete program works like a charm so far! Thanks for all the help guys and Evan if you ever need anything let me know.

oh, no problem homie. glad i could be of help, and glad you got all of your shit back! i know how it feels when you have years of work *almost* lost  ;D

How long you can you wait to to it? There's a time limit to restore your shit?

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »
Damn, glad u fixed it, Timbo.
How many GB did u have in that folder?

kemizt

rik

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »

I hope you didn't undelete "Shock Value".  :P

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
^^ Lol

K.Dub I had/ have 72 GB

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »
My external hard drive just died, by died I mean it didn't work so I took it apart and smacked the shit out of it with a shoe. Unsurprisingly this didn't fix anything and it's now in the bin and I'm kind of pissed off. :'(

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
My external hard drive just died, by died I mean it didn't work so I took it apart and smacked the shit out of it with a shoe. Unsurprisingly this didn't fix anything and it's now in the bin and I'm kind of pissed off. :'(

You could have just transferred the data to another hard drive if you brought it in somewhere.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »
It's all in the past now. I never had anything important on it, just a load of pirated music, films and software etc. It's hard to be pissed off at something that wasn't really yours being taking away from you.

Anyway Western Digital one you posted looks like a good bet, I'll probably purchase one of those, don't know which one probably 320GB.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »
^^ Lol

K.Dub I had/ have 72 GB

I got 125 ++ something laying on the desktop ;D

kemizt

Efrain

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »
For external hard drives I would stick with Omega’s over the western digitals. I’ve read people have problems with the 500gb models. But I’ve never had a crash. I think the reason people have so many crashes is because:

1)   They don’t run routine defrags (a completely trashed HD takes less than two hours to defragment). You should be doing one AT LEAST every two weeks.
2)   They don’t shut of their computers and or external HD’s when they’re done. If you leave those things running constantly they’re just going to eventually get too hot and fry. No matter what type of external HD or capacity you buy it wont last 300 days if you just keep it running 24/7.(and NO they don’t shut off with your comp, you have to do it manually!) 
3)   They let their computer’s HD get too close to full capacity. If you have an 80gig HD on your comp, don’t let it get up to 74 gigs full. Especially with small files like mp3’s you’re constantly deleting, renaming, moving and so forth. That’s just asking for problems.

Instead, never let your comp’s HD get above half capacity. Figure out what you want and what you don’t then back up only the shit you want on an external. Try to make the external’s folders/files as organized and straightforward as possible from the get go. That way you wont get fragmented files and messy file registries. Run a defrag on your comp every week and shut shit off when done. If people did that there would be less than half of the computers crashing. 

evan the dude

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Alaskan Connection
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 12:14:01 AM »

How long you can you wait to to it? There's a time limit to restore your shit?

yes, there is as a matter of fact. it's explained in the way hard drives work. when you delete something, it doesn't technically get fully erased. what happens is your operating system informs your hard drive that those sectors of the disk are expendable, and ready to be re-written...so,  it comes up in the OS as "free space". when you un-erase something, all you are doing is going back into those sectors that have been labeled expendable and recover data. now here comes the problem...if you have been actively using your hard drive from your crash, i.e. writing/rewriting a shitton of files, those sectors on the drive that were labeled "expendable" which had your old data, are now probably overwritten with those new files that you were copying. so in turn, there is always a chance that you can recover files from a crash, however, your luck on retrieving them is based mainly on how soon after the crash you try to recover them. the more space that is occupied on your hard drive and the number of files that have been written since the crash have big factors on recoverability. the only true form of erasing all data is a low level format, which writes all 1's (or 0's can't remember) on the drive. if that happens, then you are truly fucked  ;D hope this was of some help

Get the dubcnn "california love" wallpaper here!!

The Watcher

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 04:07:42 AM »
you can save yourself alot of money by just buying the hard disk, getting a $20 case and sticking the drive in that, should cost you about $150 all up for about 500GB

i have 4TB here for my shit, can't back that up though, so once a month I buy a new disk and copy the oldest stuff to it
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 05:28:14 AM »
I actually have a total of 3 external hard drive. So I keep a back up of my more important back ups on one of the smaller drives. The third drive I don't use so I'll probably end up selling it soon.