Author Topic: New Jewell Interview part 1  (Read 1433 times)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New Jewell Interview part 1
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »
Interview With Ju-L aka Jewell

The queen of R & B has been gracious enough to give us an interview. In the interview she talks about Death Row, her unreleased album, her relationships with other artist, among other various things. Be sure to check it out inside. Also be sure to post questions for part two of our interview & questions for Mr. David Kenner.

Kilo2 - Tell me when you are ready.

Ju L - Im ready baby.

Kilo2 - Haha alright.

Kilo2 - I'm here with artist Ju - L aka Jewell. Please tell us a little bit about you.

Ju-L - My name is Jewell, from Los Angeles. I sing, you know me from Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, 2PAC and K-ci and JoJo records. I did the Murder was the Case soundtrack and my single Woman 2 Woman which was a BB hit.

Kilo2 - What inspired you to get into music?

Ju-L - My musical inspiration came from Soul & R 'n b artists: Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye. I started singing at the age of 6 in Church, so performing has never been unnatural to me.

Kilo2 - Oh I see. Which was your favorite artist?

Ju-L - I couldn't pick a favorite. I loved them all.

Kilo2 - Haha.

Kilo2 - So what made you pursue singing as a full time career?

Ju-L - I was a good friend of Arabian Prince who at the time was part of the group Bobby Jimmy And The Critters, I recorded my first songs with them in the late 80's for Macola Records. Their group later signed with K-Tel, and that is when I got my first deal, I was signed to K-Tel Records in 87. Arabian Prince was a founding member of NWA.

Kilo2 - Intresting. Did you meet Dre prior to Death Row due to the NWA connection?

Ju-L - Yes. I met Dr Dre through Arabian Prince, and Jimmy Z who was known for Funky Flute. Dre produced his album Musical Madness, and was on the song Funky Flute, I guest spotted 2 times on Jimmy Z's album. I was on Musical Madness, and a song called Evil. That led to me working on NWA's albums and then Dr Dre's The Chronic.

Kilo2 - I see.

Kilo2 - So in a sense you were already discovered before Death Row, how did Death Row come about?

Ju-L - Yes. I had been working with Dre before the Death Row situation. Then he asked me to work on the Deep Cover album. Which was the first record I recorded for Death Row, it was called Love Or Lust, from the Deep Cover movie.

Kilo2 - How did your signing come about?

Ju-L - I was signed to Ruthless Records before Death Row. People don't know but I worked on the NWA albums too. I did I'd Rather Fuck You. Arabian Prince took me to Ruthless, and I stayed with them even after he left NWA. Then Dre took to me to Death Row Records.

Ju-L - The rest is history.

Kilo2 - Ah.

Kilo2 - Just curious, did Eazy try to keep you on as an artist too like he did Dre?

Ju-L - No because my Contract was up. I had a good relationship with Eazy.

Kilo2 - I see.

Kilo2 - Did that carry over to Death Row?

Ju-L - Yes I always had a good relationship with Eazy.

Kilo2 - Ah.

Kilo2 - How was it working on The Chronic?

Ju-L - It was the great. We all vibed off each other. The greatest album ever recorded, and released.

Kilo2 - That's true. Was there any cuts off the album that didn't make it?

Ju-L - We spent days in the studio recording it. Dr. Dre is a perfectionist. If there is I want a couple of those for my album, Ha Ha! ! !

Kilo2 - Haha!

Kilo2 - For sure.

Kilo2 - It would be great to hear those classics.

Kilo2 - Alot of people accused Dre of jacking production and lyrics did you see any of this?

Ju-L - It's all talk, the business with ghost producers. Dr. Dre is the best. I don't know who makes the beats at Aftermath but whoever it is has heat.

Kilo2 - I can understand that.

Kilo2 - Which artist did you get along with most over there?

Ju-L - I got along with everyone, from Dr. Dre, The DOC, Snoop, 2Pac and DannyBoy.

Kilo2 - Alot of people wonder this, especially the Tupac fans, but who was the man on Woman 2 Woman?

Ju-L - That was DannyBoy. If you mean at the end.

Kilo2 - I beleive there was another guy in the video.

Kilo2 - It's been a while since i've seen it.

Ju-L - There was two other Hollywood actors.

Kilo2 - Oh I see.

Kilo2 - Did you ever complete an album over at Death Row?

Ju-L - Yes I recorded a whole album for Death Row.

Kilo2 - Wow.

Ju-L - But it unfortunatly did not come out as planned.

Kilo2 - That happened to alot of releases.

Kilo2 - It's a pitty that almost all will never see the light of day.

Kilo2 - How much material do you think you recorded over there?

Ju-L - I recorded for almost every artist that was at the label. I was featured on almost every release, those that were released and albums that did not come out. I did The Chronic, All Eyez On Me, Doggystyle, Above The Rim, Murder Was the Case. I did Chronic 2000 for Suge when he was in incarcerated in sacramento.

Kilo2 - Do you still maintain a good relationship with Suge?

Ju-L - I havent spoken with Suge in some time. But I guess so.

Kilo2 - Some of the fans wanted to know if you still remembered some of the guest features on your unreleased album?

Ju-L - Dr. Dre, DJ Quik, and Kevin Lewis produced my album. Snoop did some songs, Then I had a song which Daz from the Dogg Pound did, and Devante from Jodeci produced 1. I tried to not have to many artists on my own album, but I had a song with me and 2Pac, and a couple of songs with Snoop, Nate Dogg, DannyBoy and Butch.

Kilo2 - Oh word. That album must be amazing.

Kilo2 - I've heard Smokin' The Bud was from the album.

Ju-L - Smokin The Bud was a song that Snoop produced, it was from my album. Snoop loved the record so much he played on in the background of an interlude on The Doggfather. If you listen to Snoops album, you will hear Smokin The Bud playing in the background.

Kilo2 - Oh word? I never knew that.

Ju-L - I don't have a hard copy of any of my work from Death Row. I would give anything to just be able to listen to my music from then.

Kilo2 - When did you leave Death Row and where did you go to afterwards?

Ju-L - I left Death Row in 99'. But I allowed Suge to release my music afterwards. I don't know what he has put out. But he has enough music to live on forever. I recently did the song Burning with a rapper called Amir. I have been working on my own album. Trying to get 2 Dr. Dre beats. I spent time as an artist, and did an album with Dale Dog's 4 Life Records with DJ Slip and Tray Deee. I am a free agent right now, trying to grind and get my album out this year.

Kilo2 - Word.

Kilo2 - Is there any place where we can check out your new music?

Ju-L - "You will hear new Ju-L very soon. Stay tuned for that baby."

Kilo2 - Haha.

Kilo2 - For sure.

Be sure to check out part two coming soon!

http://www.makavelirecords.net
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:26:50 PM by Inmate »

T-Dub

Re: New Jewell Interview part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:00:45 PM »
props 8)

I would love for her to hook back up with Dre.   Dre, Snoop & Jewell is a classic combination.

BCG1

• 'G'
  • "Cleveland is the City"
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
madd props for putting this up, I've been wanting to hear from jewell for a while now. Last time I heard her on a track was on snoop's top dogg "just dippin" track...I hope Dre & DPG will hook back up with her. (Dre seems to be more into Marsha right now though)

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:22:59 PM »
Much props...can't wait for part two... 8)

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:35:30 AM »
nice interview

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:38:55 AM »
That David Kenner interview could prove to be very interesting, especially for those who have seen 'Welcome To Death Row'.

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
Nice shit! the album must be great !!

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »
she was on NWA albums?

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »
not only does it sound just like her on 'i'd rather fuck u' from efil4zaggin and she said it's her but i have a feeling that she is the voice of the hooker they kill in 'to kill a hooker'

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
man....another example of someone dre abandoned for no good reason

jewell>marsha

anyone have any pics of jewell?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

MarshColin

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
Not trying to burst anybody's bubbles but I'm pretty sure this interview was proven fake.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
really? what makes you say that?

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 07:12:28 AM »
Not trying to burst anybody's bubbles but I'm pretty sure this interview was proven fake.

me too.