Author Topic: Monta Ellis wins NBA MIP award  (Read 321 times)

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
Monta Ellis wins NBA MIP award
« on: April 26, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
i would have been shocked if he didn't get it. Also Luke Walton didn't recieve a single vote.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Golden State guard Monta Ellis was selected the NBA's Most Improved Player on Wednesday, edging Sacramento's Kevin Martin in the closest voting in the award's history.

NBA Most Improved Player Voting

EllisVoting for the 2006-07 NBA most improved player as selected by a nationwide panel of 129 sportswriters and broadcasters.

Ellis, a second-year pro who joined the Warriors straight out of his Mississippi high school, received 47 first-place votes and 352 points from a panel of sports writers and broadcasters. Martin, the Kings' high-scoring guard, got 44 first-place votes and 349 points. Utah's Deron Williams was a distant third with 101 points.

The previous closest finish was in 1990-91, when Scott Skiles of Orlando edged Kevin Gamble of Boston by four votes. The award has been presented annually since the 1985-86 season.

Ellis averaged 16.5 points, 4.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds this season with new coach Don Nelson and the revitalized Warriors, who returned to the playoffs after a 12-year absence. The second-round pick's improvement on his 6.8-point scoring average in his rookie season was the NBA's largest increase this year.

Ellis emerged as a key contributor to Golden State's uptempo offense, earning his teammates' trust and playing in big situations while learning to play point guard at Nelson's behest. Among second-year pros, only New Orleans' Chris Paul averaged more points per game this season (17.2).

Not bad for a high-school star who had visions of instant stardom when he joined the NBA's last prep-to-pro class in 2005. Ellis held a big draft-day party for himself in his native Jackson, Miss. -- but most of the guests left before he was chosen by the Warriors with the 40th overall pick.

Ellis quickly took to the pro game, using his skill and creativity to lead all prep-to-pro players in scoring last season despite only cracking former coach Mike Montgomery's regular rotation late in the year. Nelson immediately recognized Ellis' skills and put him in the starting lineup for 53 games.

Ellis is the second Golden State player in five years to win the award, after Gilbert Arenas -- another second-round pick who blossomed in Oakland before moving to the Washington Wizards -- in 2003.

Martin's scoring average went up to 20.2 points per game this season from 10.8 in 2005-06, but the lanky guard struggled down the stretch of the regular season along with his spiraling teammates. The Kings missed the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons, and coach Eric Musselman was fired last week.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

GangstaBoogy

Re: Monta Ellis wins NBA MIP award
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »
He deserves it. Although, if it wasn't for the ankle injury, Luke Walton would've had it on lock.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

floatin_above_everything

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:11 PM »
Luke? u crazy homeboy!

Congrats to Ellis, he desreved it more than anypne except Martin and GS did make it to the playoffs.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »
my vote would have been for martin , but oh well. i'm suprised that luke didn't get a single vote though.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »
Luke? u crazy homeboy!

Yes Luke.

Last season: 5ppg, 3rpg, 2apg, 41% fg, 31 % 3pfg in 19 mpg

This season: 11ppg, 5rpg, 4apg, 47 % fg, 38 % fg in 33 mpg
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
if the Kings made teh playoffs Martin would have got it

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Really surprsing...I didn't think Ellis improved that much over last year. Not like Luke at least...With Ellis, it's more him going through the normal development stages. Everyone realized he was a major steal last season...PeACe

Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »
Luke? u crazy homeboy!

Yes Luke.

the only thing that is impressive there (and it's nothing extremely special) is the %s. If your going to play 14 more minutes per game, it isn't the least bit groundbreaking to put up an extra 6 points, 2 rebs and 2 assits.

Ellis got it because the warriors made the playoffs, if not I think it defanitely would of gone to Martin.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Sanford - V. President of the Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The movement is Suckaa Free.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:05:50 PM »
the right person got the award.

Pick up 2 gats like Riley with a full 16 clip, on some sick shit like Lynch, while rippin a bitch's clit with beyonce's mouth on the tip of my dick.

Dangerous Crew Beeyatch!

Citizen-Y

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »
Whatever, he's a young guy, young guys are supposed to improve.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:42:35 PM »
Luke? u crazy homeboy!

Yes Luke.

the only thing that is impressive there (and it's nothing extremely special) is the %s. If your going to play 14 more minutes per game, it isn't the least bit groundbreaking to put up an extra 6 points, 2 rebs and 2 assits.

Ellis got it because the warriors made the playoffs, if not I think it defanitely would of gone to Martin.

4.3 assists, 5.0 rebounds, and 11.5 points is definitely worthy. That's like an Odom-lite. And then consider he averaged a steal and half a block, while playing half his games on an injured ankle. He more than doubled his numbers, drastically improved his percentages AND improved assist/turnover ratio as well. And this is all in his 4th season, it's not like he was in developing stages. Luke>Martin>Ellis for MIP.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:36:25 AM »
Dude is 21 years old. Obviously he's improving. Next year he'll be even better, for him. What's the fucking point of this award??