Author Topic: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA  (Read 2384 times)

d-nice

Re: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »

Who is left for Mayweather to fight?

Why not fight Spinx? Why not move up and fight Taylor or Wright? There's people still out there.

No one wants to see that fight. He turned down that fight to fight Oscar. Him moving up to middleweight may be a little bit too much weight for him. He is not carrying the punching power he had in the lower weight classes and he would have a hard time keeping Taylor or Wright off of him. Oscar did not look good at all at Middleweight. The only one that almost pulled that off was Trinidad.

d-nice

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »

Why not fight Spinx? Why not move up and fight Taylor or Wright? There's people still out there.

It's just my opinion, man. I've seen De La Hoya fight many times, and though I admit he's very good, I never saw anything spectacular from him, or anything to warrant his GOATesque status. He's a businessman, which also probably has a lot to do with how much fame and hype there is behind his name...When a better fighter, like Mayweather, is not even HALF as known as De La Hoya, what does that tell you?

I understand it's your opinion, but could you back it up with facts? No. His beating the long list of great fighters isn't spectacular? I don't see how it's not. 30 KOs in 38 wins isn't spectacular? That's damn good considering the caliber of fighters he's fought.

To say Mayweather is a better fighter is debateable. Mayweather beat Oscar pretty much at the end of a long 15 year career. Had Mayweather fought Oscar in his prime it would've been a much different story. Mayweather did not dominate in anyway. So being the "better fighter" he barely pulled off the win. He's not half as known as De La Hoya because he doesn't really fight big names like Oscar did. What does that tell you?

Oscar fought ALOT of guys on your list towards the end of their careers also. Floyd IMO never cleaned out his divisions when he would move up half the time. But he was chasing the money trail.

SGV

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2007, 02:11:17 PM »
Chavez, Camacho and Whittaker were towards the end of their ropes.. But most others were still in a good place in their career when Oscar beat them.

As for Mayweather, he still can fight Spinx... I don't see why he wouldn't. And why not move up to Middleweight? He's in good enough shape to do it. Why not move up and fight some lesser fighters for practice and then aim for the big names? Its not too far fetched... Of course if he's looking to challenge himself.

d-nice

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »
Chavez, Camacho and Whittaker were towards the end of their ropes.. But most others were still in a good place in their career when Oscar beat them.

As for Mayweather, he still can fight Spinx... I don't see why he wouldn't. And why not move up to Middleweight? He's in good enough shape to do it. Why not move up and fight some lesser fighters for practice and then aim for the big names? Its not too far fetched... Of course if he's looking to challenge himself.

And Paez, Campos, Leija, Gatti, Camacho were fading also. I think early in his career he got these fights with older, fading fighters. And if Whittaker would not have clowned so much in that fight he would have beat Oscar. Floyd could fight Spinks and he would easily beat Spinks but at this point he just hit the jackpot. Who else can he fight today and make 10-15 million? Only Oscar. So yeah from a challenge standpoint the logical choice is to move up to middleweight but like I said I just don't think he can stick and move enough to keep those guys off of him. If I were Floyd I would wait it out a little bit and see what is out there. This fight was the biggest pay per view of all time so if Oscar wants a rematch, give it to him. If not retire or find another challenge. If he had the mentality of a Mosley or Trinidad he would move up and fight those guys, but Floyd is more focused on keeping that undefeated streak intact.

d-nice

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
I don't blame Oscar for fighting those guys early in his career, but most were a shell of their former self when he fought them. Chavez the same thing. I heard he would fight the same opponents 3 or 4 times that he already beat or get some bum at a bar to fight so I question his earlier fights, but later in his career he fought top level opponents and beat alot of them. So has Oscar from Quartey to the present.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »

It's just my opinion, man. I've seen De La Hoya fight many times, and though I admit he's very good, I never saw anything spectacular from him, or anything to warrant his GOATesque status. He's a businessman, which also probably has a lot to do with how much fame and hype there is behind his name...When a better fighter, like Mayweather, is not even HALF as known as De La Hoya, what does that tell you?

I understand it's your opinion, but could you back it up with facts? No. His beating the long list of great fighters isn't spectacular? I don't see how it's not. 30 KOs in 38 wins isn't spectacular? That's damn good considering the caliber of fighters he's fought.

To say Mayweather is a better fighter is debateable. Mayweather beat Oscar pretty much at the end of a long 15 year career. Had Mayweather fought Oscar in his prime it would've been a much different story. Mayweather did not dominate in anyway. So being the "better fighter" he barely pulled off the win. He's not half as known as De La Hoya because he doesn't really fight big names like Oscar did. What does that tell you?

It tells me that despite the fact that there are UNDISPUTEDLY numerous boxers out there who have been better or on the level of De La Hoya, 0% of them get as much recognition as him. No matter how great you say Oscar is, that is the definition of overrated.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:15:33 PM by Now_I_Know »

d-nice

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2007, 02:31:59 PM »
I think Oscar has had a great career but GOAT status? I don't know about that. Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, even what Trinidad accomplished, the list goes on and on. There are ALOT of hall of fame fighters but I really don't know if you put Oscar in the same breath as most of them.

SGV

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2007, 04:19:34 PM »
I just blanket statements. There's no facts showing that Oscars career wasn't as great as dudes like leonards or durans. No matter how many times someone says he's overrated they never have any proof beyond "there's people who are better."

d-nice

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
I just blanket statements. There's no facts showing that Oscars career wasn't as great as dudes like leonards or durans. No matter how many times someone says he's overrated they never have any proof beyond "there's people who are better."

I think fans and reporters overrate him. I don't think skills wise he is. I think like you said he is older and alot of these fighters like a Mosley or Mayweather can outpoint him. As to when he was younger you could not get away with that. But what he has accomplished in his career is definitely Hall Of Fame worthy.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:56 AM »
De La Hoya is the number *1 Boxing draw still..
MAYWEATEHR CAN NOT FILL A 2000 PEOPLE SEAT AUDITORUIM.
REAL..

BUT YO, bOXING IS DEAD, YEAH CAUSE THE BEST DON'T WANNA FIGHT.

d-nice

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2007, 06:10:52 AM »
REAL..

BUT YO, bOXING IS DEAD, YEAH CAUSE THE BEST DON'T WANNA FIGHT.

Real Talk.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2007, 06:20:45 AM »
Better entertainer does not equal better boxer.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

d-nice

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2007, 06:34:51 AM »
Yeah, but Oscar is still the main draw. Like Leonard or Tyson or others in their time. I think people hold on to the thought of him winning a title again but other than a few boxers out there, I just don't see him beating the some of the best right now. I think he could beat Cory Spinks but outside of him definitely not Jermain Taylor or Winky.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »
REAL..

Which is why I say De La Hoya is overrated...LOL.

rik

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »
REAL..

Which is why I say De La Hoya is overrated...LOL.

How does that prove anything?