Author Topic: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA  (Read 2390 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: MAYFEATHERS VS DE LA HOYA
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »
^^If they're on the same level...And De La Hoya can sell out an auditorium while Mayweather can't...HOW IS THAT NOT THE DEFINITION OF OVERRATED?

rik

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »
^^If they're on the same level...And De La Hoya can sell out an auditorium while Mayweather can't...HOW IS THAT NOT THE DEFINITION OF OVERRATED?

Maybe Meyweather doesn't sell out, cus of who he fights, and his fighting style. He fights a bunch of nobodies, and proceeds to run the whole fight. And maybe that's a sign that they're not on the same level.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2007, 12:24:44 PM »

Maybe Meyweather doesn't sell out, cus of who he fights, and his fighting style. He fights a bunch of nobodies, and proceeds to run the whole fight. And maybe that's a sign that they're not on the same level.

Yea, but it's not only Mayweather...Nobody can draw a crowd like Oscar nowadays. And that's not fair cuz he's not the best=overrated.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »
Rating somebody should be based on pure skill, not popularity.  Oscar is easily in the top 20 pound for pound boxers active right now, he's justly rated.  Some people are just more likes than others, because of looks, charisma or whatever. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
^^He sells out because lots of people believe he's the current best.

rik

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
^^He sells out because lots of people believe he's the current best.

Maybe lots of people think that because it's true. Now I'm not saying that he's the best now or the best ever, but he is certainly up there, top 5 of his generation for sure. And ranks up there with the all time greatest. And this is all coming from someone who isn't that big of an Oscar fan. In fact most of the fights in which he "lost" I bet against him. I just call it how I see it. Not thinking he's the best is something but to say he's overrated is ludicrous.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 04:50:47 PM by Rik Is Officially Unofficially Voting for Ron Paul 2008! »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »
^^The only thing that's ludicrous is claiming that's it's ludicrous...Now, I'd understand thinking it's ludicrous to say he's overrated if he was barely promoted, not on top of everything, not the most sought after name in boxing, etc.. I can understand that being ludicrous...But not with how big his name is currently compared to other boxers in his league...PeACe

rik

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »
Care to name those so called boxers in his league?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
Reasons why Oscar De La Hoya is popular

-He's a chicano, and latinos in general just absolutely love their fighters
-He's good looking.  His female fan base is huge
-He can give a good interview in both English and Spanish

If he didn't have any of that, he would still be a top pound for pound boxer today.  Now if he was like ranked 30 to 50th, and didn't have many belts on him then maybe he can be seen as overrated. 

d-nice

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2007, 07:56:39 PM »
That welterweight class back then was stacked. Trinidad, De La Hoya, Mosley, Forrest, Quartey and a few more. Most of those guys retired or are on their way out. But no doubt Oscar did his thing. 2 very close losses to Mosley, a close one to Floyd, in waaay over his head with Hopkins and basically a win against Trinidad even though he got on his bicycle in that fight, he still won it. For me only 2 questionable wins with Strum and Quartey but the man has won titles in multiple weight classes, is doing promotion and has done it with class. So he has done alot for the sport.

d-nice

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »
ESPN just posted their 50 greatest boxers of all time. Interesting list

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/index

Oscar #39 on the list

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »
^Yo I think all those GOAT lists suck too much old man cock, ya dig
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

d-nice

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »

Well they covered quite a few decades on there. A great fighter is not just ones we remember. It's like saying Shaq is the greatest center of all time and not knowing about Wilt or Bill Russell. And to be honest in the last 10-15 years there have been some great boxers that have had great careers. I felt like they were represented on the list.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2007, 04:20:36 PM »

Well they covered quite a few decades on there. A great fighter is not just ones we remember. It's like saying Shaq is the greatest center of all time and not knowing about Wilt or Bill Russell. And to be honest in the last 10-15 years there have been some great boxers that have had great careers. I felt like they were represented on the list.

I'm far from someboy who really knows boxing, but knowing how Mayweather has been the champion in 5 different leagues and has never lost a fight and shit, it just sounds funny to me that he is near the very bottom of the list. Also, Oscar de la Hoya being as popular as he is only at #39 is funny, and I really don't see (m)any European fighters on there, which is also funny. Everybody knows a mediocore boxer from today would smack a boxer from 1910 into retardation. Whatever, maybe I'm just not a GOAT-poll/list person.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin