Author Topic: Mike D'Antoni's lead assistant, Marc Iavaroni, to coach the MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES...  (Read 231 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Iavaroni to coach Memphis

Monday, May 21, 2007

From what I'm hearing, former Jazz player Marc Iavaroni will be the next head coach in Memphis.

Iavaroni has been Mike D'Antoni's lead assistant in Phoenix. He nearly landed the head coaching job in Portland last year, but Nate McMillan’s late entry into that race cost him the opportunity.

Iavaroni has been on the fast track for a No. 1 job since the Suns’ return to power in the Western Conference. A graduate of Virginia, he is a thoughtful and articulate guy who played an important-if-unsung role during his four seasons with the Jazz in the late 1980s.

After hearing Iavaroni is the frontrunner in Memphis, I wondered why he would take the job with the Grizzlies, who were the worst team in the NBA last season.

Then, I realized that is precisely why the Memphis job could become a good one.

The Grizzlies are the favorite to get the No. 1 pick in the draft. The lottery is Tuesday night and Memphis has a 25 percent chance of getting a shot at Ohio State center Greg Oden.

If the Grizzlies get Oden, it opens a variety of avenues for the Grizzlies to take while rebuilding.

Memphis could trade low-post All-Star Pau Gasol for a couple of established perimeter players and draft picks. Chicago made a run at Gasol before the trade deadline last February and probably remains interested.

If the Grizzlies are unlucky in the lottery and get the No. 2 pick, they could take Texas forward Kevin Durant, keep Gasol and groom last year’s first-round pick, Rudy Gay, into being the final member of the franchise’s new Big Three. That’s not a bad foundation.

No matter what happens, Iavaroni is probably going to have a chance to succeed in Memphis, which is all a new head coach wants.

On a personal level, I wish him well. Marc is a good guy who deserves this opportunity.

Another Phoenix Sun style basketball team? :puke:

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG
Iavaroni to coach Memphis

Monday, May 21, 2007

From what I'm hearing, former Jazz player Marc Iavaroni will be the next head coach in Memphis.

Iavaroni has been Mike D'Antoni's lead assistant in Phoenix. He nearly landed the head coaching job in Portland last year, but Nate McMillan’s late entry into that race cost him the opportunity.

Iavaroni has been on the fast track for a No. 1 job since the Suns’ return to power in the Western Conference. A graduate of Virginia, he is a thoughtful and articulate guy who played an important-if-unsung role during his four seasons with the Jazz in the late 1980s.

After hearing Iavaroni is the frontrunner in Memphis, I wondered why he would take the job with the Grizzlies, who were the worst team in the NBA last season.

Then, I realized that is precisely why the Memphis job could become a good one.

The Grizzlies are the favorite to get the No. 1 pick in the draft. The lottery is Tuesday night and Memphis has a 25 percent chance of getting a shot at Ohio State center Greg Oden.

If the Grizzlies get Oden, it opens a variety of avenues for the Grizzlies to take while rebuilding.

Memphis could trade low-post All-Star Pau Gasol for a couple of established perimeter players and draft picks. Chicago made a run at Gasol before the trade deadline last February and probably remains interested.

If the Grizzlies are unlucky in the lottery and get the No. 2 pick, they could take Texas forward Kevin Durant, keep Gasol and groom last year’s first-round pick, Rudy Gay, into being the final member of the franchise’s new Big Three. That’s not a bad foundation.

No matter what happens, Iavaroni is probably going to have a chance to succeed in Memphis, which is all a new head coach wants.

On a personal level, I wish him well. Marc is a good guy who deserves this opportunity.

Another Phoenix Sun style basketball team? :puke:

What's wrong with another Suns style team?  Oh, that's right, you don't want another team that will run the Lakers out of the building.
NIK - World's worst moderator.

rik

See, who really brings up the Lakers in non-Laker related threads?

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG

Yeah, it's not really fun is it.

Try being in a thread where Kobe's name is mentioned every other post. 
NIK - World's worst moderator.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

^^Run-n-gun schoolyard smallball is what's downgrading the NBA. This is why Phoenix will NEVER win a title with that system.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who cares anyway. The only way i could care about Memphis is if they trade Gasol.

GangstaBoogy

9/10 times its the person you're defending right now.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Prove it.

rik

So when he makes a thread about Wade or LeBron without mentioning Kobe once, and then someone tells him "get off Kobe's dick" that'shim bringing up the Lakers/Kobe. Or when he says he doesn't like a team or their playing styles and someone says well the Lakers are out of the playoffs" That's his fault as well?

GangstaBoogy

So when he makes a thread about Wade or LeBron without mentioning Kobe once, and then someone tells him "get off Kobe's dick" that'shim bringing up the Lakers/Kobe. Or when he says he doesn't like a team or their playing styles and someone says well the Lakers are out of the playoffs" That's his fault as well?

Every thread he makes is hating on Wade or the Suns. Every thread he post it is his randomly bringing up Kobe. This thread is just 1 rare time that everything is reversed.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Every thread he makes is hating on Wade or the Suns. Every thread he post it is his randomly bringing up Kobe. This thread is just 1 rare time that everything is reversed.

I only post what I feel...If you have something reasonable to say, say it...If you say I bring up Lakers in every non-Laker thread, prove it. As of now, to me, you're nothing but a casual basketball fan who happens to like Kobe.

GangstaBoogy

I only post what I feel...If you have something reasonable to say, say it...If you say I bring up Lakers in every non-Laker thread, prove it. As of now, to me, you're nothing but a casual basketball fan who happens to like Kobe.

Yeah and as of now, to me, you're nothing but a casual dickhead who has absolutely no life outside of the internet. I guess we're even.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Yeah and as of now, to me, you're nothing but a casual dickhead who has absolutely no life outside of the internet. I guess we're even.

Only what I think is true, and is based off of factual data... :-*