Poll

What's your favorite out of these two?

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (Time Out)
Miles Davis - So What (Kind Of Blue)
Both are positively equal to me
I don't care for jazz.

Author Topic: Jazz fans? Take Five vs. So What  (Read 122 times)

Elevz

Jazz fans? Take Five vs. So What
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:10:14 AM »
1959 was probably the greatest year in music of the last century, when two absolute jazz icons were at the peaks of their careers, both releasing their magnum opus works. That's Miles Davis with his "Kind Of Blue", and Dave Brubeck and his Quartet with their "Time Out", each spawning some immortal and defining classics. The biggest two: So What and Take Five. Now you decide, which one do you like better?

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
http://www.zshare.net/audio/2255563806e157/

Miles Davis - So What
http://www.zshare.net/audio/22556358437d5f/

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Jazz fans? Take Five vs. So What
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
I have heard both before and i them like both... It's hard to choose, I liked the long break on "Take Five" where it was only the drums and piano.. I find it in some way kinda the same feeling over the 2 tracks.. I don't think i have heard so much with "The Dave Brubeck Quartet" before, I have heard alot with Miles Davis though, mostly for sampling reasons, but also just to enjoy some jazz :)..

I think I'll go with The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

everlast1986

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:28:58 AM »
"Take Five" for me love that piano.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:33:18 AM »
Hearing them for the first time, I could say "Take Five" appeals to me more, but I don't think it's fair to judge music only after one listen.

Props for schooling tho, cause those are some great tunes  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Elevz

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
I feel like "Take Five" probably has the greatest riff in jazz history, and the track really swings like crazy.. But at the same time, that's also what makes the track a bit too linear for my liking. It is however probably the biggest classic in jazz music, and for a good reason.

I gotta go with So What however... The way the trumpet and the saxophone 'dance' with the bass and the drums, smoothly backed by the piano... That's music at its finest to me. Gives me chills...

kevlar

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »
apples and oranges

dave brubeck always had the illest time signatures in his songs

did you know that "kind of blue" was pressed on the wrong speed?  i think miles davis got paid something to the amount of 50 dollars per session for that album.  there's a book on the making of that album. 
"jack of all trades
gotta get my chips
manipulate yo broad
put her up on craigs list"

Elevz

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »
apples and oranges

I agree with that, I basically put them together because the two biggest jazz legends (imo) both came out with their biggest (or most famous) work shortly after one another.

dave brubeck always had the illest time signatures in his songs

did you know that "kind of blue" was pressed on the wrong speed?  i think miles davis got paid something to the amount of 50 dollars per session for that album.  there's a book on the making of that album.

That's crazy tho, props for schooling 8) And I agree with you on Brubeck!

kevlar

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 04:44:16 AM »
in the book they have a photocopy of the invoices for the musicians on that album.  those dudes didn't get paid shit!  prolly one of the highest selling albums in the history of music. 
"jack of all trades
gotta get my chips
manipulate yo broad
put her up on craigs list"