Author Topic: Jerry Buss talks to Kobe...He's going nowhere.  (Read 199 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Jerry Buss talks to Kobe...He's going nowhere.
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »
Buss talks to Bryant
Lakers owner is going on vacation, but he says he will keep his star player 'apprised of our progress.'

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
June 1, 2007

Before Lakers owner Jerry Buss stepped onto a plane for a vacation in China, he spent some time on the phone with his franchise player.

It was Day 6 of the ever-evolving Kobe Bryant ordeal, time for the Buss family patriarch to try to patch the holes that had been created.

"I talked with Kobe this morning and assured him that I share his frustration and, more importantly, I assured him that we will continue to pursue every avenue possible to improve our team with him as the cornerstone," Buss said in a statement released by the team.

"I told him that we will keep him apprised of our progress and we agreed that we will talk again in the very near future."

In other words, Bryant's not going anywhere, even if things are still unsteady when Buss returns from a three-week vacation that begins in Shanghai.

Bryant, increasingly frustrated with the direction of the team, said during a radio binge Wednesday that he wanted to be traded. He still has four years and $88.6 million left on his contract, but he can void the deal in two years.

Independent of his main complaint that more talent is needed on the roster, the Lakers had already begun canvassing the league to see who is and isn't available for trades. Teams that are eliminated from the playoffs can trade with each other, of which 27 of 30 currently fit the profile.

The Lakers had an exploratory talk with the Indiana Pacers about six-time All-Star forward-center Jermaine O'Neal, although nothing was accomplished. The Lakers have not spoken with New Jersey about Jason Kidd and are not expected to resurrect the lukewarm conversations they had with the Nets before the trade deadline in February. Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett is still considered to be the longest of all longshots.

The bulk of the Lakers' front office was in Orlando, Fla., for the pre-draft camp, where General Manager Mitch Kupchak's cellphone was ringing continually, with questions from league personnel all sounding the same: Was Bryant really serious about wanting to be traded?

Back home in El Segundo, the Lakers' offices continued to get flooded with e-mails and phone calls. Since Bryant began his trade demands, 500 e-mails have been received from season-ticket holders and 90% have been in favor of keeping him.

The Lakers have tried to keep season-ticket holders in the loop with daily e-mails that included Buss' statements, and they have reached out to some corporate sponsors and high-profile business partners with a simple message: We're not trading Kobe.

The organization realizes it has the most dynamic player in the league. His departure could create a ripple effect, including lower TV ratings and a decrease in attendance.

Lakers season-ticket holders renewed at a 97% rate before the 2006-07 season, an astounding number that would be tough to match next season if Bryant left. Furthermore, Bryant had the league's top-selling jersey this season and remained one of the top draws on the road.

It made Buss' Thursday morning conversation with Bryant that much more important.

As Bryant began to get more and more dissatisfied over the last week, Buss managed to keep his emotions out of the equation, living up to his reputation as a savvy poker player. During the conversation, Buss didn't reveal any imminent acquisitions for the Lakers, perhaps a sticking point with the nine-time All-Star, who was not available for comment after he spoke with Buss.

On the other hand, the fact that Buss didn't order the front office to begin shopping Bryant after the meeting was an indicator that the conversation itself wasn't ruinous.

This week obviously hasn't been easy for Buss or Bryant. Neither has the month of May, which began with another failed attempt to get out of the first round of the playoffs. The Lakers haven't played into mid-June since advancing to the Finals in 2004.

"Dr. Buss wants to win because his summers have been messed up, too," said Magic Johnson, who won five championships with the Lakers as a player and is now a minority owner. "I can understand why Kobe's frustrated. I love the kid. He is the ultimate competitor. He's the one kid in this league who really wants to win every game, every championship."

...that's what I saaaaaid.

teecee

Re: Jerry Buss talks to Kobe...He's going nowhere.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »
Hopefully they solve this situation so we don't have to keep hearing about it.  It has been embarassing for both Kobe and the Lakers front office, and may mean players are hesitant to come to LA if things are really as bad as Kobe says.......

No matter what, it is going to be hard to come out of the Western Conference for the Lakers?  Who can they add that can put them on the same level as San Antonio?  It will take a superhuman effort from Kobe to get them to the finals even if they add J.O. or Chauncey...........maybe Bynum will improve?

Regardless, i hope this situation is put to rest at least until the playoffs are done; the players still playing deserve that much, even if this has been one of the worst playoffs ever, and even if the Spurs sweep the Pistons or Cavs (Which will likely happen).....

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:47:23 PM »
That stupid ass bitch couldn't even push his vacation back till he straightened every thing out?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
They might trade him next year, when his opt-out clause is a real threat. If the Lakers get owned by the Suns first round may 2008 I see that happening.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:17:49 AM »
fuck kobe, he a spoiled mufucka./...... quit bitchin and make your team a winner.. dont wine bout your teammates..

wcsoldier

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 04:24:26 AM »
The FO is the reason we are falling off.. yeah Kobe is too much of himself but you can't deny he wants to win more than anything else... we didn't take any risk to improve the team since Shaq left... the Buss family is not the soultion anymore

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »
LOL@"quit whinin and make your team a winner". what an ironic sentence.