Author Topic: Interview: DJ Khaled - Taking Over  (Read 54 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Interview: DJ Khaled - Taking Over
« on: June 11, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Source: www.yoraps.com

DJ Khaled definitely had one of the hottest summer bangers last year in 06 with "Holla At Me" that featured hip-hop’s elite with his right hand man Fat Joe, Paul Wall, Lil Wayne and Baby, Rick Ross and Pitbull. With last years album "Listennn" being one of the most star studded albums in hip-hop DJ Khaled aka "Mr. Miami" really proves he’s one of the most respected DJ’s in hip-hop. I mean lets be real how many DJ’s you know can have at least ten top MC’s in the game appear on their album, not a mixtape. Now one year later and back to release another album "We Takin Over" is one album that seems to be about the unity were lacking in hip-hop and it’s all due to DJ Khaled, no wonder the DJ is important in hip-hop.

As of right now DJ Khaled is once again smashing the streets with the new heater "We Takin Over" with another all-star line-up with Fat Joe, T.I., Lil Wayne, Baby, Rick Ross, and Akon. As it goes with everyone that drops a sophomore release the questions that always arises is "Will it be better than the last"? Well if Khaled says we´re the best I guess so and to believe you’re the best you do have to start with saying it first. "We Takin Over" from the way it looks will be one of the biggest releases this summer. Applaud DJ Khaled for this and in this raw interview. Khaled says he will be remembered as a historical icon, speaks on the new album, and the importance of unity in hip-hop.

You have the new album coming out so what will make it different from the last?

It’s just bigger, bigger records, bigger collaborations, bigger production, it’s just everybody at their best.

Why so many artists have so much love for DJ Khaled?

Because real recognizes real and DJ Khaled represents love, hip-hop, unity, and I make hit records. I make hit records and at the same time we´re the best. A lot of these artists that’s starting to come out I grew with them on the come up. I meet a lot of these artists when they was starting to come out and some of them I grew with them on the come up. Real recognizes real man and G’s recognizes real G’s., we´re the best.

How you come up with title for the album?

Truthfully "We The Best" is representing greatness. Like you’re the best, I’m the best, and the people that support me is the best. My album is the best, the producers and artists on the album are the best, were just the best.

Tell me what you like most being with a label like Koch?

They listen to the artists, like when we´re ready to shoot a video their ready to shoot a video. If I say there’s a route I’m ready to go with their ready to go with it. They believe in their artists and they hustle.

How long you been working on this project?

My last album came out in June and I started the new album in November. It was from November until now and my album comes out June 12th. Every year I plan to drop at the same time and every year I believe in dropping good music. People are fans and they want good music every year. You can’t let them wait so long you know.

How did you round everybody up for unity on the track "We Takin Over"?

Lil Wayne’s my brother, Birdman’s my brother, Fat Joe’s my brother I represent his logo and everything. Rick Ross’s my brother, T.I. that’s my *****, Akon that’s my brother from back in the day, everybody is family. When I presented it to them they knew it was a hit record. I’m not going to even lie to you not that many people can pull that off. That’s what DJ Khaled brings to the table the impossible, we the best.

That just shows the love everybody has for DJ Khaled?

Exactly.

What’s the toughest thing about being an upcoming DJ in the music business?

The toughest thing is respect, because you have to have your respect before anything. If you’re a DJ, magazine writer, producer, you have to get that respect because this business is really messed up. This industry is crazy and some people in power will try to shut you down. If you’re a DJ you have to have that power and respect. When DJ Khaled plays a record the fans and the streets knows it’s the real deal. I tell everybody that the DJ supposed to play hit records, because that’s our job. For a DJ to come up they need to make sure they play things people want to hear and get respect from that market. You have to take it to another level whether your on the radio, producing, being on the road, if you want to be an exec or A&R DJing can lead you to so many different things. Look at Swizz Beatz, Dr. Dre, Pete Rock, a lot of DJ’s.

Khaled, everybody knows you go way back with Fat Joe so what is it that keeps the good relationship ya’ll have?

Fat Joe is my brother. I’m the Godfather of his daughter, that’s my brother. I represent Terror Squad and Joey Crack is my best friend, we the best. Joey Crack is what it does.

The South gets a lot of hate, but also a lot of love do you feel hip-hop lives in the South?

Hip-hop lives amazingly, hip-hop’s never been dead, it’s the best and it lives forever. I’m so happy to be a part of it, I’m so happy.

Tell me more about the album who you have featured?

You know I got Juelz Santana, Young Jeezy, Game, Jim Jones, Styles P, Paul Wall, T-Pain, Trick Daddy the list goes on and on. It’s the biggest album coming out of the year I promise you. It’s huge, it’s huge, it’s really huge.

Will it be the biggest album this summer?

Of course "We Takin Over" will be one of the biggest albums this summer.

Next single?

Aw man it’s called "Brown Paper Bag" featuring Young Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Fat Joe. Before I drop that single I’m a drop the remix of "We Takin Over" in two days, remember I told you Street Knowledge Ent and YoRaps.com. Remember this right now and put it in big letters I’m a make a movie and were gonna win so big. We´re making nothing but hit records and we represent the hood, we represent the people, we the best.

Will hip-hop remember DJ Khaled as a legend one day?

Aw man a legend, a historical icon, A Don Dada, a boss and at the same time a poor people’s governor.

Khaled, tell me why unity is important in hip-hop?

Unity is important in hip-hop, because fans want to see an incredible artists work with another incredible artists, that makes the music incredible. A lot of people love Lil Wayne, T.I., to see Lil Wayne work with T.I. is incredible. To see Lil Wayne and Jeezy work together is incredible, to see Rick Ross and Fat Joe work together is incredible. Unity is amazing when you see that video "We Takin Over" that’s like the biggest event ever. I like at the record and be like "What is this, this is too big".

You have to hold it down!

You gotta represent!

Back to the album what your looking at as far as the numbers?

As far as number it is what it is. We gonna sell records I can guarantee that, but I can tell you one thing in this game it’s all about staying relevant. In this game it’s about staying hot, staying on fire, so you can call me up and do an interview showing me love and I’ll show you love back. That’s what it’s about and that’s how you eat. I have love for it, I hope I sell 5.4 million records, we´re the best so liiiissssteeeennn.

MySpace: www.myspace.com/djkhaled

- By Quinton Hatfield

© YoRaps.com - All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without written consent.
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com