Author Topic: Chucky Atkins signs with Denver Nuggets...  (Read 148 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Chucky Atkins signs with Denver Nuggets...
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
Nuggets sign Chucky Atkins

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/14/2007 11:46:09 PM MDT

Chucky Atkins, formerly of the Memphis Grizzlies, accepted a two-year deal with the Denver Nuggets. Denver - Chucky Atkins kept a smile on his face while enduring an NBA-worst 22 win campaign with the Memphis Grizzlies last season. And now that his chances of winning are much greater with the Nuggets, the new starting point guard is smiling big for good reason now.

The Nuggets signed Atkins to a two-year guaranteed deal today paying $3.2 million next season and $3.4 million in the 2008-09 season with a team option for a third season, according to sources. The eight-year NBA veteran arrived in Denver this morning to sign the contract and take a physical. The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder replaces Steve Blake at point guard and is expected to add 3-point shooting and leadership while joining Allen Iverson in the backcourt.

"Did you see what I went through last year? All that losing?" said Atkins in a phone interview. "I can't take that no more. I thought Denver was a perfect spot for me and how I play. They missed someone like me in the playoffs. Someone who can make shots. I think I fit in perfect."

Atkins, 32, averaged 13.2 points and 4.6 assists in 75 game while shooting .379 percent from 3-point range last season with Memphis. The only Nugget who shot better from 3-point range last season was J.R. Smith (.390). The Orlando native has also played for Detroit and Boston, in the Continental Basketball Association and in Croatia and has played in 35 NBA playoff games. Nuggets vice-president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien declined comment.

"We definitely got the pieces to win it all," Atkins said. "The challenge for me is getting it to fit. I won't do like I did in Memphis and do all the scoring. I don't have to do it now. That's one of the reasons why I came here...

"My whole thing with Denver is how well we focus. On 90 percent of the nights, we'll have the most talent. But how will we focus? That's where my veteran leadership comes in."

PG Allen Iverson...Chucky Atkins/Anthony Carter
SG JR Smith...Von Wafer/DerMarr Johnson
SF Carmelo Anthony...Reggie Evans/Linas Kleiza 
PF Nene...Kenyon Martin/Eduardo Najera
C Marcus Camby...Jamal Sampson/Yakhouba Diawara

That's a dowgrade from the distributing Steve Blake...Playoffs? Yes. Winning it all? :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:30:21 AM by Now_I_Know »

wcsoldier

Re: Chucky Atkins signs with Denver Nuggets...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:12:27 PM »
No D (team wise) at all... 2nd round exit at best
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:19:15 PM by wcsoldier »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:42:53 AM »
Do you think Atkins might start at PG with Iverson at the 2, like they did with Blake last year? That wouldn't really make sense, considering Atkins is a offense-demanding PG...I really have no idea why they signed him instead of getting a nice distributor or keeping Blake. :-X

wcsoldier

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Yeah I think Karl gonna start him in the PG position .. from what I read Denver didn't want to spend the whole MLE to keep Blake.. This team needed Discipline on the offensive end whereas this move means they're gonna be more and more like Phoenix, jackin shots from everywhere ... without mentioning he's horrible on D ... another dumb move .. sometimes I really wonder if some organizations think about what type of player they need to improve before making some moves  :-X

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Who's gunna set up plays for Iverson and Carmelo? :-X

Iverson needs to work on upping his assists and attempting less shots this year...

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:05:08 AM »
what happend to k-mart

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:08 AM »
No D (team wise) at all... 2nd round exit at best

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23:50 AM »
what happend to k-mart

The right knee. Happens to the best of them. Can kill the best of them.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:32:16 AM »
what happend to k-mart

He'll be back...Just not starting.