Author Topic: Hip Hop News  (Read 91 times)

Top-Dogg2001

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Stillmatic
Hip Hop News
« on: August 07, 2001, 05:15:38 AM »
source: hiphopsite.com
Latest update on the QB / Roc-A-Fella beef front – after hearing “H.O.M.O.”, Nas’s Jay-Z dis track last week, rumor has it that Jay-Z will retaliate with “The Bridge Is Over 2001” feat. KRS-One. Apparently, this is what Jigga told Angie Martinez, but it doesn’t seem likely that Kris would want to contribute to any kind of brewing beefs in NYC. Does Kris still hold a grudge against Queensbridge as he did back in the 80’s?

Ozomatli played in Las Vegas last week, and while Cut Chemist and Chali 2na have left the group to concentrate on Jurassic 5, their new emcee and DJ filled in just fine (but not quite as nice.) Nevertheless, Ozo has a new album dropping Septemeber 11, entitled “Embrace The Chaos”. Watch out for it!

Also dropping on September 11 is Xzibit’s long awaited, “Restless Xposed” DVD. No word on what content will be included on the disc, but it sounds interesting.

Ghostface Killah will drop his third album, “Bulletproof Wallet” on November 13th. The first single will be “Never Be The Same Again”, featuring Raekwon and…. Carl Thomas. Woo-Hoo. Wu who?  

Macy Gray is getting ready for her follow-up to “On How Life Is”, entitled, “The ID”. The first single has popped up on a few radio stations already; a duet with Erykah Badu called “Sweet Baby”.

You didn’t hear it from me, but word is Michael Jackson has some heat. Will he return to his roots and be the bad man he once was? Or will he continue to hang out with Macaully Culkin and beat it? The lead single is called “Rock My World” and apparently is good, but I haven’t heard it. The reason I even bring any of this up is because his album has a track with The Notorious B.I.G. called “Unbreakable”. Now do we have your attention?

RZA is working on his long-awaited “Bobby Digital” movie with writer/director Chuck Wilson (“Breakfast With Bob”; “Crooklyn”). According to the press release: “The history of Bobby Digital will be explained in the film: While RZA is conducting experiments in a laboratory on Wu Mountain and he stumbles upon a formula for self-transformation.  Dipping a blunt into this elixir of "honey" he inhales and begins to hallucinate.  When he finally comes to, he is confronted by the consequence of his experiments.” This sounds almost as good as Redman & Method Man’s “How High” movie idea. Will we be blessed to see Robert Townsend in the roll of the RZA, or will RZA take his acting to new heights as he did in “Ghost Dog”? Could we be looking at a possible Oscar nod from the Academy? (sarcasm mode: off).

Speaking of film, I caught “Made” the other night, the new comedy starring Swingers’ Jon Faverrau and Vince Vaughn, not to mention an impressive performance from P. Diddy. This was a good movie – almost as good as “Swingers”; notably was the use of a good soundtrack, including recent tracks from De La Soul, Black Eyed Peas, A Tribe Called Quest, and others. Look for a cameo from Grandmaster Flash on the wheels.

In other movie news, Ice Cube will begin work on his third movie in the “Friday” series, “The Friday After Next”.  No word if Chris Tucker will return for the third installment.

Edan, backpack rap’s newest star child, will be releasing an album on Lewis Recordings in late October / early November. With the consistent string of 12” singles he’s released this past year, he may be a contender for best indy hip-hop album of the year. Keep an eye on this kid, before the label’s snatch him up.

And never fear kids, Aceyalone’s “All Balls Don’t Bounce” will be reissued by the end of the year, courtesy of Nu Gruv Alliance. And with that, let me pass the mic to Matty… - Pizzo

The Neptunes have pushed back the release (8-14-01) of their debut N.E.R.D. until late fall.  Apparently, even though they were awarded with a four-star review in Rolling Stone, Pharrell and Chad are not convinced that N.E.R.D. is geeky enough.

Is Cormega going the route of DMX?  It appears so, as just a few weeks after releasing his exceptional debut, The Realness, Cormega is already prepping his sophomore disc for a Jan 2002 release date.

Over the next month, Elektra/Atlantic will be releasing 3 greatest hits packages.  Look for compilations from Busta Rhymes and MC Lyte to drop on 9-4-01.  Meanwhile, they will also attempt to cash in on the incarcerated O.D.B. with Free Dirty on 8-28-01.  

While one of the hottest producers out right now, Jay Dee, is no longer a member of Slum Village, he is rumored to be overseeing the production of their Sophomore LP, “Trinity”.  Elzhi is now the third member, look for verses from him on recent tracks, “One” and Daft Punk / SV collabo, “Aerodynamik Remix”.

On the P.Diddy front, while The Saga Continues reiterates that he is hip-hop’s foremost hit-maker.  What’s happened to Diddy’s promise that The Saga Continues would not include any samples?  That ish is littered with just that (samples), and Puff virtually pillages the lyrics of (insert emcees name of choice).  And as much as I would like to hate, P.Diddy’s, Neptune produced solo-bow “Diddy” is bananas. And don’t The Lox catch a bad one courtesy of Puffy with his “Shiny Suite” skit on The Saga Continues?

Now that Pep Love has instilled some renewed faith in the Hieroglyphics crew with Ascension, will Casual be able to follow suite with his comeback vehicle He Think He Raw?

Hey, we all love Big Boi, but can we please get an Andre 3000 solo-LP?

Summer Movie Update:  I know Tim Burton’s cinematography is obese, but I have to give a big thumbs down to Planet of The Apes, as the script is paper-thin.  Here’s a tip for the sequel: MORE ESTELLE WARREN!! (It could be called: Planet Of The Apes 2: Ape-raham Lincoln. - Piz)

This week’s hip-hop court docket includes none other then Play (of Kid N’ Play fame).  It seems, that Play was called into a NY city court to answer charges of being a dead-beat Dad.  Play has been accused by his former wife of failing to pay over $32,000 in child support fees.  If convicted, Play could face a five-year bid.  Looks like Play will have to call in a favor to Kid, who still owes Play for bailing him out of jail in Houseparty 1.  (Or maybe they could have another Pajamma Jammy Jam to pay for the legal fees. - Piz)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Picture yourself crushin Xzibit with your tough talk,
thats like Christopher Reeve doin' the crip walk.- Xzibit

Suicidal, High I'm smoking so much la,
I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky-
Nas

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Hip Hop News
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 04:57:25 PM »
that's dope, i go to that site all the time, also i recommend reviewzxl.com, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Hip Hop News
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 12:42:37 AM »
dang cormega's putting in work...january?? that shit better not be rushed

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09