Author Topic: Anybody else agree that "East/West Coast Killaz" is Dre's greatest song?  (Read 970 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Anybody else agree that "East/West Coast Killaz" is Dre's greatest song?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »

and your talkin as far as production right?

No... I'm talking about it's the greatest thing he's ever done, been associated with, or even to be mentioned as being a part of.

I'll be back to defend my case.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:09:59 AM by Harry Browne »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

devil_may_care

• 'G'
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 05:54:36 AM »
Nah. Can't C Me is his best produced song.

Paul

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 05:57:02 AM »
Nah. Can't C Me is his best produced song.

nah its not
funkyfreshintheflesh

sniperuk

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Young'Un
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:24:17 AM »
a nigga wit a gun, the watcher and keep their heads ringing are all superior production wise and have no features.

the only thing ill agree with you on is the concept of east/west coast killaz.....it was a good idea to bridge the east and west, i wouldve really wanted to hear cube on that farreal though.

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »
I think he means "greatest produced" song...imo its a song with great production, but Dre has at least 10 tracks that are better. People have their taste though, so I can see the argument.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55:11 AM »
a nigga wit a gun, the watcher and keep their heads ringing are all superior production wise and have no features.

the only thing ill agree with you on is the concept of east/west coast killaz.....it was a good idea to bridge the east and west, i wouldve really wanted to hear cube on that farreal though.

Damn never thought of Cube on it, but it does sound like it would've been on that helter Skelter album they were supposed to do.

In retrospect the East Coast/West Coast has a "Natural Born Killaz" vibe to it...

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
the greatest "thing" he was associated with? hmmm...well... while this was a bridge between east and west, I am going to go for "we're all in the same gang" as far as "causes" go.... but east/west killa was big too..
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Don Seer

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 08:49:24 AM »

it will always be Keep Their Heads Ringing.

ai002h

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 08:56:40 AM »

Cube was actually completely against Dre trying to bridge the east and the west, and Cube said that publicly in inerviews....not surprising since this was being done when Cube was working on Bow Down, not to mention when Cube was beefing w/ BReal, who was on the song. Woulda been great though, no doubt.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 01:01:49 PM »

Cube was actually completely against Dre trying to bridge the east and the west, and Cube said that publicly in inerviews....not surprising since this was being done when Cube was working on Bow Down, not to mention when Cube was beefing w/ BReal, who was on the song. Woulda been great though, no doubt.

Yep.  A little hip-hop history for everyone, this was all back in summer of 96 when the Source was still the hip-hop "Bible".  Well, Cube was on the cover of the Source throwing up the W and talking shit on the whole East Coast.  Complaining that when he went to the East Coast the DJ's would never play West Coast Records, and also getting some early promotion for West Side Connection which would blow up late in the summer with "Bow Down".

So anyway, Dre comes on the cover of the Source in mid-summer, and he's doing the opposite of Cube, Dre is talking about taking the high road, maturity, leaving Death Row; and the article is almost prophetic, because Dre ended up getting out just in time before 2pac was killed, Suge went to jail, Snoop put out a subpar record, and everything fell apart.

I still have that Source issue with Dre on the cover.  I would never sell it, it's the most classic of any magazine for me.  Sometimes I look through it just to remember old times, and the way hip-hop used to be.  You can read that thing cover to cover.  It doesn't contain any "eye candy" or any sensationalism to sell magazine, it's a much more humble approach to the industry, the artists are chilling in regular clothes, talking about their lives and the music, less is more, it just covers the culture of hip-hop from A to Z.  You get the feeling looking at it of the "good old days" when everything seemed so simple.

Let me go ahead and make some case for "East/West Coast Killaz".  You kind of had to be into hip-hop at the time to really understand the significance of the song.  Dre could of probably sold 4 million doing a record like Cube, talking shit about the East Coast; but Dre was a true visionary.  He was really the first to go against the grain on a large scale like that.  It really wasn't popular to do the stuff he was doing at the time, and the album sold much less than it was supposed to.  So it was a daring step for Dre to take, but he ended up being the smart one.

The record also has sentimental value for me.  Cause I see it as the last of the golden era of hip-hop.  The video for the song had just came out around the time 2pac was murdered.  I remember back then I was 14, and you would always want to be the first of your friends to discover the next big artist, or next big song that was going to come out; because this was before digital media took off.  I remember I read the Source article with Dre talking about "East/West Coast Killaz"  and how it was going to change the game, and the journalist interviewing Dre said that the song would singlehandedly bury the beef.   I had a girlfriend at the time who moved back to her mom's house in another state at the end of the summer.  I wrote her and I remember telling her I was listening to the song "East/West Coast Killaz".  The song didn't really come out for another couple weeks, but I thought it was going to be so huge, that I wanted to show off by acting as if I had discovered it before anyone else (because I'd read about it in the Source interview).

^^^^ There's my case for the song. It's a lot of personal stuff.  So I guess I should add that all the rappers come hott lyrics, I think it's Nas' best guest appearance verse, same with B-Real and RBX spits fire.  I think KRS could have came a little harder, but the fact that he was even on the song helped make it memorable.  The idea was to get two West Coast emcee's and two East Coast emcee's.  The video was directed by a Hollywood director F. Gary Gray (Negotiator) and in the beggining Dre is having a meeting with people like Scarface (rapper from Texas) talking about how the Illuminati is trying to destory hip-hop, and how they need to unite the strongest forces from each coast... it gives it kind of a larger than life feel. 

d-nice

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »

Yep.  A little hip-hop history for everyone, this was all back in summer of 96 when the Source was still the hip-hop "Bible".  Well, Cube was on the cover of the Source throwing up the W and talking shit on the whole East Coast.  Complaining that when he went to the East Coast the DJ's would never play West Coast Records, and also getting some early promotion for West Side Connection which would blow up late in the summer with "Bow Down".

So anyway, Dre comes on the cover of the Source in mid-summer, and he's doing the opposite of Cube, Dre is talking about taking the high road, maturity, leaving Death Row; and the article is almost prophetic, because Dre ended up getting out just in time before 2pac was killed, Suge went to jail, Snoop put out a subpar record, and everything fell apart.

I still have that Source issue with Dre on the cover.  I would never sell it, it's the most classic of any magazine for me.  Sometimes I look through it just to remember old times, and the way hip-hop used to be.  You can read that thing cover to cover.  It doesn't contain any "eye candy" or any sensationalism to sell magazine, it's a much more humble approach to the industry, the artists are chilling in regular clothes, talking about their lives and the music, less is more, it just covers the culture of hip-hop from A to Z.  You get the feeling looking at it of the "good old days" when everything seemed so simple.

Let me go ahead and make some case for "East/West Coast Killaz".  You kind of had to be into hip-hop at the time to really understand the significance of the song.  Dre could of probably sold 4 million doing a record like Cube, talking shit about the East Coast; but Dre was a true visionary.  He was really the first to go against the grain on a large scale like that.  It really wasn't popular to do the stuff he was doing at the time, and the album sold much less than it was supposed to.  So it was a daring step for Dre to take, but he ended up being the smart one.

The record also has sentimental value for me.  Cause I see it as the last of the golden era of hip-hop.  The video for the song had just came out around the time 2pac was murdered.  I remember back then I was 14, and you would always want to be the first of your friends to discover the next big artist, or next big song that was going to come out; because this was before digital media took off.  I remember I read the Source article with Dre talking about "East/West Coast Killaz"  and how it was going to change the game, and the journalist interviewing Dre said that the song would singlehandedly bury the beef.   I had a girlfriend at the time who moved back to her mom's house in another state at the end of the summer.  I wrote her and I remember telling her I was listening to the song "East/West Coast Killaz".  The song didn't really come out for another couple weeks, but I thought it was going to be so huge, that I wanted to show off by acting as if I had discovered it before anyone else (because I'd read about it in the Source interview).

^^^^ There's my case for the song. It's a lot of personal stuff.  So I guess I should add that all the rappers come hott lyrics, I think it's Nas' best guest appearance verse, same with B-Real and RBX spits fire.  I think KRS could have came a little harder, but the fact that he was even on the song helped make it memorable.  The idea was to get two West Coast emcee's and two East Coast emcee's.  The video was directed by a Hollywood director F. Gary Gray (Negotiator) and in the beggining Dre is having a meeting with people like Scarface (rapper from Texas) talking about how the Illuminati is trying to destory hip-hop, and how they need to unite the strongest forces from each coast... it gives it kind of a larger than life feel. 

Props on your answer and well put. Can't really knock Cube or Dre for the routes they took. There are diplomats and revolutionaires so both took a different route as to how to get they point across. As far as the fabricated East/West beef, it did show alot of unity. I think it benefited the east more because it opened the door by Dre to work with more artists from the east. Cypress Hill was doing east west collabos years before, this track was just more on a bigger scale. West coast and East coast artists were collabing waaay before this but never on this big of scale was a unity track done before. Hell even 2pac had Meth and Red on his album before this track.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 01:34:32 PM »

Props on your answer and well put. Can't really knock Cube or Dre for the routes they took. There are diplomats and revolutionaires so both took a different route as to how to get they point across. As far as the fabricated East/West beef, it did show alot of unity. I think it benefited the east more because it opened the door by Dre to work with more artists from the east. Cypress Hill was doing east west collabos years before, this track was just more on a bigger scale. West coast and East coast artists were collabing waaay before this but never on this big of scale was a unity track done before. Hell even 2pac had Meth and Red on his album before this track.

Ya, that's a good point about Red and Meth being on Pac's record.  But it wasn't a statement record to unite the coasts.  And really, I was into the East/West beef when I was a kid cause I wanted to see the West on top, so I supported Cube with what he was doing.  But still, what's most important is credibility and being authentic, so if Dre felt like he didn't want to be a part of the beef, then I really respected him and looked up to him as a kid for going out on his own.

d-nice

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 01:44:29 PM »

Ya, that's a good point about Red and Meth being on Pac's record.  But it wasn't a statement record to unite the coasts.  And really, I was into the East/West beef when I was a kid cause I wanted to see the West on top, so I supported Cube with what he was doing.  But still, what's most important is credibility and being authentic, so if Dre felt like he didn't want to be a part of the beef, then I really respected him and looked up to him as a kid for going out on his own.

It does not have to be. 2pac had beef with particular artists. If his 1 Nation compilation would have ever dropped maybe the perception of 2pac having beef with the east would have been deaded. That is why I brought up a group like Cypress Hill doing Throw Your Hands In The Air remix with Redman, Erick Sermon, and Eiht. or House Of Pain back then working with Diamond D or Pete Rock. It may not have made headlines like Dre's track but it still shows unity. So to me that east/west bs was between a handful of artists with problems with each other that was trumped up by the media. I think Dre's song put it to the forefront and showed a big time unity between hip hop but it was going on before that. And it was only for 1 song. DJ Muggs took that a step further with his Soul Assassins compilations.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »

It does not have to be. 2pac had beef with particular artists. If his 1 Nation compilation would have ever dropped maybe the perception of 2pac having beef with the east would have been deaded. That is why I brought up a group like Cypress Hill doing Throw Your Hands In The Air remix with Redman, Erick Sermon, and Eiht. or House Of Pain back then working with Diamond D or Pete Rock. It may not have made headlines like Dre's track but it still shows unity. So to me that east/west bs was between a handful of artists with problems with each other that was trumped up by the media. I think Dre's song put it to the forefront and showed a big time unity between hip hop but it was going on before that. And it was only for 1 song. DJ Muggs took that a step further with his Soul Assassins compilations.

Fair enough.  I'm not arguing your point, or trying to make it sound like Dre was the only one to do it.   But you said that Muggs took it a step further by making a whole album, but Dre had a whole album, part of the significance of the Aftermath Compilation was that it had East and West coast artists on it.   But yeah, Muggs deserves props, and I love his work he did with Dre that year for "Puppet Master".

d-nice

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »

Fair enough.  I'm not arguing your point, or trying to make it sound like Dre was the only one to do it.   But you said that Muggs took it a step further by making a whole album, but Dre had a whole album, part of the significance of the Aftermath Compilation was that it had East and West coast artists on it.   But yeah, Muggs deserves props, and I love his work he did with Dre that year for "Puppet Master".

Dre had 1 track with east coast artists. The rest of that compilation had his own artists.