Author Topic: Will.i.am is officially SELLOUT  (Read 1284 times)

Westcoastfanatic

Re: Will.i.am is officially SELLOUT
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »
Who's idea was it to put Fergie in the group, Will i am's?
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

d-nice

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 01:08:45 PM »
I think if BEP would have started out their music that way I don't think it would turn off that many people to them. But their 1st 2 albums were dope as fuck, they were like a westcoast Tribe Called Quest to me back then lyrically and musically. That stuff is no were near the stuff they do now for the most part and for most that is why they are considered Sellouts. But on the production tip, Will ain't no joke on them boards.
this is true......hell, primo produced one of their dopest songs........so yes, they were considered underground LA hip hop for the majority of the late 90's and repped LA well, heck, industry insider magazine(remember that? i gues only if you lived in LA and werent 8 at the time) named them LA hip hop group of the year back around 01'........and yes, they are now as pop as it gets, but give him credit for still making the occasional good hip hop song

I am bumping Behind The Front right now. Dope album.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »
Some of those BEP "pop" songs contain parts of classic hip hop favorites... Sally That Girl by The Gucci Crew... I Wonder If I Take You Home by Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam... just to name some...
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

d-nice

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
Some of those BEP "pop" songs contain parts of classic hip hop favorites... Sally That Girl by The Gucci Crew... I Wonder If I Take You Home by Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam... just to name some...

Yeah Will picks some ill samples. I still from time to time bump they new stuff. They will have a couple tracks that are str8 hip hop but most of they stuff now is pop.

Al Bundy

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
i like the fact that he does whatever he feels like doing, whether its making the hip hop is dead song for Nas or doing songs that get played on KIIS FM.

He has taken himself out of the box that many artists are stuck in .... or are afraid to take themselves out of.

Exactly! Quit your bitching you "hip-hop heads"

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
I think if BEP would have started out their music that way I don't think it would turn off that many people to them. But their 1st 2 albums were dope as fuck, they were like a westcoast Tribe Called Quest to me back then lyrically and musically. That stuff is no were near the stuff they do now for the most part and for most that is why they are considered Sellouts. But on the production tip, Will ain't no joke on them boards.
this is true......hell, primo produced one of their dopest songs........so yes, they were considered underground LA hip hop for the majority of the late 90's and repped LA well, heck, industry insider magazine(remember that? i gues only if you lived in LA and werent 8 at the time) named them LA hip hop group of the year back around 01'........and yes, they are now as pop as it gets, but give him credit for still making the occasional good hip hop song

Yeah man, I remember when them dudes were barely coming out and they did a power 106 show at Florentine Gardens. Those cats were handing out free tapes to anyone. They came up to my car and gave me a bunch of free shit.

They did their thing and were succesful. I'm not feeling their music much anymore but their first album was dope as fuck and I respect the hard work they put in, especially when I recall seeing them cats handing out free tapes in the Florentine Gardens parking lot back in '97.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 12:12:30 AM »
Black Eyed Peas used to be so dope back then, Da Joint , was my jam 10 years ago, I would say that its a shame and that they be selling out, but they still make some nice cut, they just dont release them as singles, and its all good anyway Will-I-am is a great and talented producer, his new single is not that hot but I'll support and get his shit

DJSpin

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
the video is nice with all those chicks but it's fuckin POP.
Am I the only person who have never considered Peas or Will.I.AM as hip-hop/West Coast representant?

its difficult to say that, considering they was banging with eazy back in the early nineties on ruthless...  u cant get any more west than that!

Elano

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 12:17:45 AM »
Pitchfork: There is this sense of simplicity about that music that's proven impossible to emulate. With all the information that's out there right now, is it harder for young writers to write with that kind of primitivism?

Iggy Pop: It's harder to have the will because it's so much easier to plug in a computer and find a old hook from surf music or something. That was the last one to blow my mind, was a hook from an old guitar instrumental called "Apache" or "Pipeline" and it used in this horrible quasi-rap song by the Black Eyed Peas. I'm hearing this horrible rapping over this a beautiful piece of music. It's kind of like those little juice drinks that you get in the 7-Eleven that say, "contains 10% real juice." Their music is a mountain of crap. Or a Frankenstein's monster, you know? He gets up, but he's jerky when he walks and his feet thud and he has all these sutures. That's really easier to do, and it's easier to collect on.

F Major

• Lil Geezy
  • Altruwest Productions, Get Addicted
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »
most folks commenting negatively toward Will never heard his BBE Release :

http://bbemusic.com/data.pl?release=BBEBGCD003

Dude is hiphop, but you gotta understand this is this dudes career, nobody comes and shits on your for trying to do your job! Nobody calls you a sell out for trying to make more money doing a job that you probably hate doing. Listen to that BBE release if you get a chance, the dude is real hip hop and has plenty of respect for the culture, respect the mans career choice.The man is making good money doing a job that he loves to do, use your energy in better ways than to try to take him down

me>you

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »
i have no respect for anybody who spells out every word in their music

therealtran

• 'G'
  • University of Michigan
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »
i'm feeling this shit.

Inside Death Row

Elano

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 04:58:07 AM »
most folks commenting negatively toward Will never heard his BBE Release :

http://bbemusic.com/data.pl?release=BBEBGCD003

And you,GENIUS,have you read this whole thread ?

F Major

• Lil Geezy
  • Altruwest Productions, Get Addicted
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »
I read your rant about will, and read folks replies...as I said, this is his career, not yours, stop downing the man cause YOU think he is a sell out, he has already hustled and worked hard in the underground, the man has already proven to be a credible hiphop head, he is now focused on the money part of this music, but here you are making a negative thread about someone because YOU think he aint doing the right thing with his power or position. Wake up man for real, the nigga aint stealing, killing, promoting violence, racism, sexism, or anything like it, he just making pop shit, shit that you have the choice to not listen to if you choose, but to come in here slandering someone for gettin his bread legally and ethically is senseless.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 07:31:23 PM »
He's a sellout because you don't like his music? I don't think you know what a sellout is. Maybe he likes pop music and wanted to make a pop record, how is that selling out?