Author Topic: Charlotte Bobcats Sign Anderson Varejao To Offer Sheet.  (Read 289 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Charlotte Bobcats Sign Anderson Varejao To Offer Sheet.
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:15:43 PM »
Bobcats sign Cavaliers holdout Varejao to offer sheet

By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer
December 4, 2007

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- In need of a big man, the Charlotte Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

The Cavaliers plan to match the offer, which is worth slightly more than $17 million, an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports. The Cavaliers hope to have Varejao back on the court by the end of the week.

Varejao can opt out of the deal after the second season and become an unrestricted free agent.

The 6-foot-10 Varejao has been in a prolonged contract dispute with the Cavaliers, which has kept him sidelined this season. He said last week that he would prefer to play for another team.

The 25-year-old Varejao averaged a career-best 6.8 points and 6.7 rebounds last season in helping the Cavaliers reach the NBA finals for the first time.

Bobcats coach Sam Vincent has been asking for a big man since the beginning of the season. The Bobcats lost Sean May to season-ending knee surgery in training camp. Starting center Primoz Brezec has been ineffective and was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Jared Dudley on Monday night in Toronto, the Bobcats' sixth straight loss.

"We're excited about the opportunity to add a player of Anderson's caliber to our team," Vincent said. "We feel like he's a guy who can come in and give us some immediate help in the post."

Before training camp opened, Varejao turned down Cleveland's one-year, $1.2 million qualifying offer. If he had signed that deal, the former second-round pick could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In late October, the Cavaliers rejected a six-year, $52 million package presented by Fegan.

Varejao is known for his energy and defense, and the move comes a day after Vincent questioned his team's focus and preparation following the 98-79 loss to the Raptors.

The Bobcats, with 15 guaranteed contracts, would have to release a player to add Varejao if the Cavaliers don't match the offer.

"Anderson has established himself as a very good young player in this league," Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said. "We look forward to the opportunity to add him to the core of our franchise as we continue to grow and improve."

Before joining the Cavaliers in the 2004-05 season, Varejao spent three seasons in Spain playing for F.C. Barcelona. He's also a member of the Brazilian national team, and the Bobcats said he could play for the team in the offseason, a point of contention with the Cavaliers.

AP Sports Writer Tom Withers contributed to this report.

Lunatic

Re: Charlotte Bobcats Sign Anderson Varejao To Offer Sheet.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
i'm thinkin cle will match
17 mill ain't 2 much
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:15:37 AM »
just another guy who's unskilled and stupid getting paid
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »
just another guy who's unskilled and stupid getting paid

Yeah, but he's fundamental for the Cavs. They can't loose him.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:10:36 AM »
I'd say 17 mill is a lot for this guy...I think he might hurt the Cavs more than he helps them. Remember what he did last playoffs?

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »
the cavs have already said that they will match the offer sheet
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 12:37:35 PM »
Yepp the Cavs matched it.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
Yea, but he reportedly might take the season off... ???

F-cisco

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »
Danny Ferry did a splendid job handling the contract negotiations , didn't he? ::)  I hope he's not surprised when Lebron bolts the hell out of Cleveland in two years.

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
Yea, but he reportedly might take the season off... ???
:o
i picked this fucker up in my pool :-X
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:52 PM »
Back with the Cavs...