Author Topic: Million Dollar Idea for an artist to get big....  (Read 270 times)

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
Million Dollar Idea for an artist to get big....
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:01:29 PM »
I've had this idea for a while now, and since i probably ain't gonna meet snoop any time soon, i figured i'd share.  I mean it's not an ingenious concept or anything, just a cool idea that i think would generate crazy interest for any artist and also result in some fuckin classic music.

Lets use Snoop as an example...

Over a one year period he snoop would put out 4 albums, one for each major region in the states each produced by a signature producer from that region.  In Snoop's case he would start off in NYC with an album produced by Pete Rock, that drops 1st quarter............2nd quarter, he heads to the midwest and drops an album produced by Kanye or Nottz (only 2 midwest producers i know), 3rd quarter he heads down south and drops an album with Devin organized Noize or Jazze Pha..........and for the 4th quarter he heads back home to the west and drops an album produced by Warren G/Battlecat/Dj Quik I would say Dre but the way Dre takes his time it wouldn't work

Maybe it's just me but that would keep hype on Snoop for a whole year, and he could do a bunch of extras like movies and shit of him recording the album showing the differences between the differences between the regions.

I think it'd be huge and there be tons of money in it, plus it's never been done before.

Probably will never happen, unless Nima or one of you DubCNN guys get in Snoops ear.

Make it happen Dubcnn, you know this is a good idea.

Quadruple OG

Re: Million Dollar Idea for an artist to get big....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
I've had this idea for a while now, and since i probably ain't gonna meet snoop any time soon, i figured i'd share.  I mean it's not an ingenious concept or anything, just a cool idea that i think would generate crazy interest for any artist and also result in some fuckin classic music.

Over a one year period he snoop would put out 4 albums, one for each major region in the states each produced by a signature producer from that region.  In Snoop's case he would start off in NYC with an album produced by Pete Rock, that drops 1st quarter............2nd quarter, he heads to the midwest and drops an album produced by Kanye or Nottz (only 2 midwest producers i know), 3rd quarter he heads down south and drops an album with Devin organized Noize or Jazze Pha..........and for the 4th quarter he heads back home to the west and drops an album produced by Warren G/Battlecat/Dj Quik I would say Dre but the way Dre takes his time it wouldn't work

Maybe it's just me but that would keep hype on Snoop for a whole year, and he could do a bunch of extras like movies and shit of him recording the album showing the differences between the differences between the regions.

I think it'd be huge and there be tons of money in it, plus it's never been done before.

Probably will never happen, unless Nima or one of you DubCNN guys get in Snoops ear.

Didn't Daz try that when he put out "Gangsta Crunk" a few months after "Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta LP"?

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:24:14 PM »

Didn't Daz try that when he put out "Gangsta Crunk" a few months after "Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta LP"?

Yeah, I guess he kind of did.....and that didn't turn out so hot, i think mostly cause Daz was just trying to get shit out, he didn't give a fuck how the record turned out.

I still think its a great idea for any half decent mc..........I think the key is to work with a producer from each region, because then you'll get that signature sound.

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »
funny, i've honestly thought about the same thing almost
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »
Sounds good but no ones gonna do it lol!!!

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
Sounds good but no ones gonna do it lol!!!
yea it would take 2 much time & money..and that money wouldn't be made back, maybe 5-10 years ago, but now how rap is selling these days

only good thing that would of come out of it is great music, and sadly most mainstream artists don't care about that no more
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »
The rapper doing it would have to be popular, and a hustle artist.

WEEZY F BABY!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »
It would cost more to create those albums than you would make back. Besides, who has time for that? Daz did try it and we saw how horrible "Gangsta Crunk" was.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

d-nice

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »
Yeah Daz had this idea. Apparently he has a unreleased album strictly for the Midwest when he was out in Detroit with Obie Trice and them. He even mentioned a east coast album as well.

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »
Yeah, see it would have worked with Daz, but Daz needs to learn about quality control......that dude thinks he can records anything and press it and it'll sell.  That why all Daz best albums, so so gangsta, rr&g and Raw are collaborations, cause they help him filter out the bullshit.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »
Yeah Daz had this idea. Apparently he has a unreleased album strictly for the Midwest when he was out in Detroit with Obie Trice and them. He even mentioned a east coast album as well.

You know what...an East Coast Daz album might be dope! He fucks with Beanie Sigel, Cam'ron, Joe Budden, Mobb Deep, etc anyway. I just don't like the idea of an artist from one coast doing an entire album dedicated (or "inspired") by another coast.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:09 PM »
ive thought about it but just as different elements in the same album...cover all regions

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

SilentWaria

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »
As albums it wouldn't be shit, 4 good albums in a year would be difficult for even the best artist. If someone did a mixtape series or something that might be hot, but I doubt anyone could pull the whole thing off successfully.

We Fly High

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 10:41:35 PM »
Conceptually, yeah itd be kinda cool to hear, but i'll talk about the reasons why its not a good idea:

1. Making four albums a year is not cost efficient, especially considering this day and age of music. All the marketing & promotions involved. And when you pick producers from only one region, youre kinda isolating the market. Despite the fact that youre hitting 4 different markets, whats the chance of someone from the east coast buying a record with a west coast rapper working with only southern producers? It aint happening. Whats the chance of one of us buying a record with a west coast rapper working with only southern producers? on this forum, i'd say the chances are slim to none. Might as well just make one solid record a year. If you're good enough of an artist, you can transcend those boundaries with one album, and not four. Doing it over a course of a few years, might be understandable, but theres definitely no reason to do that in a one year period of time.

2. Its completely saturating the market, and unless youre a very new or super indy artist, its not the best idea.

3. The list seems like youre choosing a lot of pretty big producers. An entire album produced by Kanye? If he is one of only two midwest producers that you know of, then I dont think its going to happen. Only a very few select amount of artists can crank a whole album worth of production from kanye, either through their relationships or their money.

4. The quality of the music will probably be shit. Unless the artist has pre-recorded all 4 albums a year or two in advance, which will still be shit. Quality > Quantity, always. And you're implying that with the release of these 4 albums, the artist will be able to capitalize on movies, and all the opportunities. Dropping four albums in one year will leave zero time to do anything. Trust me. If you're trying to come up with anything of remote quality, you wont have time.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:49:34 PM by We Fly High »

d-nice

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:11 PM »
The only mainstream artist I know that pulled off 2 major albums in one year is DMX .