Author Topic: Turn your PC into an HDTV  (Read 173 times)

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Turn your PC into an HDTV
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
Posted by Rick Broida
pimg]http://bp0.blogger.com/_L5ndzsJ5_vM/RztvNjclc3I/AAAAAAAABDE/eXjSRdKEnUM/s400/Viore_TV_tuner_270x261.jpg[/img]
Sure, you could pay iTunes two bucks for every episode of The Office you download to your PC. Or you could add a TV tuner and record unlimited shows--in high def!--free of charge. eCost has the Viore Portable HDTV Tuner for just $55, a steal at twice the price.

Just plug this USB tuner into your desktop or notebook, then connect an analog cable feed or the included ATSC antenna. The latter lets you pull down HD channels right outta thin air (provided you live in a metropolitan area).

To record shows for later viewing, you'll need Windows XP Media Center 2005, Windows Vista Premium, or Windows Vista Ultimate: Microsoft's Media Center (which is baked into those three operating systems) offers killer DVR capabilities. All you have to do is supply a tuner like this one. It even comes with a remote.

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
Re: Turn your PC into an HDTV
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
interesting idea.....

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
how about just buying a slingbox?
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »

looks really simple, i remember before there was tvivo cable boxs there was tvivo cards for the pc had a few friends that used em but i never did i mite one of theses days
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:39:16 PM by .:TimeLock:. »

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »
if you think that shitty ariel is gonna pick up a HDTV signal

think again

you'd need a proper digital ariel on your roof, then run the wire to your pc

Matty

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
sorry to be geeky but pc lcds dont have decent scaling chips in them normally. anything thats off native resolution will generally look crappy, whereas a DECENT HDTV has dedicated video processors and will be able to make all kinds of resolutions look nice ;]

so this cheap option isn't just cheaper in cost - it'd be cheap in image quality because of the pc screen constraints.....

unless you have a sick ass monitor then you've already spent out as much as a HD-TV.

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
sorry to be geeky but pc lcds dont have decent scaling chips in them normally. anything thats off native resolution will generally look crappy, whereas a DECENT HDTV has dedicated video processors and will be able to make all kinds of resolutions look nice ;]

so this cheap option isn't just cheaper in cost - it'd be cheap in image quality because of the pc screen constraints.....

unless you have a sick ass monitor then you've already spent out as much as a HD-TV.
u can still record in hd and play it back on ur hd tv/ hd monitor... no?

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »
i'd rather pay and get someone to install all the last technological shit in my house

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:39:56 PM »
....or you can just hook up your computer to the vga input that's in the back of mos HDTV's

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09