Author Topic: a lil uptdate about Crooked I  (Read 807 times)

Snoopafly-1986

Re: a lil uptdate about Crooked I
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
It's obvious what Crooked I's problem is. He living some wild fantasy that he will blow up like crazy and go multiplat. When the biggest rap stars like Kanye, 50 and Jay are having a hard time going 2x plat and even Justin with all his hits, is barely at 3x plat, that is completley unrealistic.

That's the biggest nonsense I've read in this thread. I think the sole reason Crooked I doesn't bring out shit is that he's a terrible business person.

yeah don't think Crook cares about sales since nobody is really selling these days

no1wammy

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »
Crooked I should do what Jim Jones did. Release album on Koch, hope for one of the singles to pick up (NWA could have done that) and than sign to a major.

What is it with rappers on Koch Records?

EFFeX

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 11:30:26 AM »
Crooked I should do what Jim Jones did. Release album on Koch, hope for one of the singles to pick up (NWA could have done that) and than sign to a major.

I've been saying stuff similar to this for years...

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
It's obvious what Crooked I's problem is. He living some wild fantasy that he will blow up like crazy and go multiplat. When the biggest rap stars like Kanye, 50 and Jay are having a hard time going 2x plat and even Justin with all his hits, is barely at 3x plat, that is completley unrealistic.

co-sign .. why call yourself Timbo? he garbage ...

SGV

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
Out of all the homies I have, probably only 1 or 2 know about Crooked I. And I'm in L.A. He has no presence out here. He's not doing shows. He's not on the radio. He's nowhere. Crooked I has NO buzz. On the net, yes. But most people on the net will just bootleg his shit. The XXL Mag was a good look, but it wasn't like that Cover was JUST him. It was a gang of dudes. And someone as small as Crooked I got lost in the shuffle of bigger names with hits currently rotating on the radio.

He FLOPPED with So Damn Hood. He FLOPPED with Still Tha Row. He FLOPPED with Boom Boom Clap. NWA is def not a good choice for a single IMO. The beat is hot, but the hook was garbage. This game is driven by hooks right now, Crooked I doesn't really have the hook game down. I don't know... I was a big fan of this dude way back when he first came out with C Style and then when he hooked up with Sway & Tech I really started to dig what he brought to the tabel as far as an emcee goes. But now, at this point, dude is kinda played out.

I'm tired of hearing that he's waiting for the right time etc. etc. The right time will be when he finally has his product ready. When he's finally doing shows in L.A. on a regular basis to promote his product. Hopping on the radio to promote his product. Picking a single with the right amount of mainstream appeal, keeping in mind that he does NOT have to make a Club banger to make a hit, he could make a song that has some meaning, with a crossover appeal. Frankly, I don't think he's right for Club joints. He's not that type of emcee. He's proven that as he's yet to make a joint that bangs in the Club.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 04:10:17 AM »

co-sign .. why call yourself Timbo? he garbage ...

LOL

Piffmeister2008

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 05:02:14 AM »
still waiting for an album... 8)

EFFeX

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
He FLOPPED with So Damn Hood. He FLOPPED with Still Tha Row. He FLOPPED with Boom Boom Clap. NWA is def not a good choice for a single IMO.

In all fairness to Crook, back when So Damn Hood premiered I knew plenty of people that were feeling that song and spinning it at parties and all that and they weren't even West Coast fans. Same with Boom Boom Clap, I really never heard anyone say anything bad about it. I think it's not the music, it's the promotion and business moves.

SGV

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2007, 09:55:08 AM »
Only person I knew that liked So Damn Hood was my bro. I was heavy into Clubbing at that time, I never heard that shit at Clubs. Same goes with Boom Boom Clap. And, like I said, I'm in L.A. So how can you not get major spins in your city? Does Crooked I not know any Club DJs? I'm sure he does. I'm sure he knows Radio DJ's too. If his labels weren't pushing it, he could've done so himself. Boom Boom Clap was a cool video, but being a virtual no name to the public, he could've brought in some bigger names for cameos instead of Big Syke... LMAO. Ultimately, I don't think Crooked I put forth the effort needed and he relied too much on the label to that work for him. Was it the promotion? Of course. But he made the decision of signing to a dying Deathrow and an upstart Treacherous. He could've found a deal with a proven label... but he decided to go to labels that either had a lot of misses under their belt at that point or a label that had no hits under it's belt. At the same talking, you can easily blame the music. So many artists have blown up without any Promo behind them. It takes a good single to catch on. So yes, it's the music. It's obviously not catching on commercially, which is what Crooked I was aiming at.