Author Topic: Jay-Z Sounds Off On Racism, Gangsters & Censorship  (Read 58 times)

Elano

Jay-Z Sounds Off On Racism, Gangsters & Censorship
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:08 PM »
Many of today’s top MCs are often criticized for not speaking out on current issues of the day. Now, a god MC of sorts is breaking the chain.
In a recent interview with Stop Smiling magazine, Jay-Z spoke out about racism, violence and censorship.

“For me, it's all about the intention,” he said in reference to using “the N word” in his lyrics. “I could call you an 'apple tree,' but if I say it with venom and hate, that is what it's about. It's not the word that has the power, it's the person. All of this came about because the Imus discussion turned into a hip-hop discussion.”

Jay went on to further dissect Imus’ “nappy headed ho” comment that sparked a month’s long debate about decency and Hip Hop lyrics.

“Imus couldn't name three rappers; well, maybe he could, but he couldn't name their songs. Imus doesn't listen to rap, so he's not influenced by it. He didn't get that from us. I missed the point the discussion stopped being about Imus.”

While Imus unintentionally sparked a nation wide debate on Hip Hop music that has angered fans, artists and detractors, Hov understands why Hip Hop as a whole is not put in the same category as a violent film or TV show.
He mentions the need for many artists to “keep it real”, thus bringing their rhymes out of the realm of entertainment, permanently placing songs in the realm of reality.

“In hip-hop, the whole 'keep it real' has become more than a phrase. Scorsese and Denzel are not tied to the films they make, so people see the separation between art and life. Unfortunately, they don't see that separation between Shawn Carter and Jay-Z. As far as they're concerned, everything I talk about is happening for real. To them, at no point is it entertainment.”

Even with Hip Hop as the new target among various political pundits, Jay-Z still looks at the bigger picture—improving America’s worst areas.

“If rappers stop cursing tomorrow, is that going to fix the ghetto or the fact that our schools are fucked-up and the living-conditions are terrible? You can't tell me not to say nigger or shit, that's ridiculous to me. Is that really the problem? Are you serious?”

Another controversial subject tackled was black American’s love of Italian gangsters—either in real life or on films—many of whom were racist and openly used racial slurs. Jay suggests that black people have learned to “look past” racism.

“Yes, the character might be racist,” he says in references to gangsters in films like The Departed, “but he's still against the odds as he struggles against the world. However brief his rein might be, he's living the good life and that's what Black kids hone in on. They don't pay attention to the racism, because racism is everywhere. We've learned to look past that.”

Jay also addresses those that believe the world of business is less cut throat than the world of the streets and the illegal hustle. He goes so far as to say the business world is worse than many can imagine.

“It's worse in business, because there is no fear of retribution. If somebody fucks me on a deal, then later I'll fuck them on a deal. But, other than that, nothing happens. On the streets, you have to have integrity or you won't be there long. You can't give your word and then do the opposite. In business, people just run all over each other; it's unpoliced.”