Author Topic: HD Dvd vs. Blu-Ray  (Read 368 times)

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: HD Dvd vs. Blu-Ray
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »
NIK - World's worst moderator.

Matty

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
play HD stuff off your PC ;] you can download HD-DVD and Blu-ray rips off torrents like normal movies...bout 8 gigs a movie for a 720p rip...however having a good 5.1 set-up certainly helps things...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 07:06:35 PM »
that cnet review talked about how well a set is able to convert resolution (scaling). how do i know what tv's are good at doing that and which are bad/average.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Matty

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 09:50:36 PM »
yeah sure, i know it said some stuff about deinterlacting too, which is a different procedure but again can vary from set to set. a 1080p set is gonna have a hard time scaling SD content (like normal dvds and normal tv) unless its super duper high end because it has that much more stretching and processing to do. the tv is gonna be most appropriate depends entirely on what your gonna be using it for. if you want it strictly for HD sources then a 1080p set might be ok.

however as i said and as the article confirms too, you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p easily and certainly not if your screen is 50 inches or smaller. so, the best set imo is gonna be one of the panasonic HD ready models that can accept 1080p anyway (although scales it down). these sets are easily the best at upscaling normal content, considerably better than sony and toshiba etc and they have the best all round picture quality anyway. this is only my opinion but ive seen a lot of hdtvs in action on a variety of sources. i was looking for a 25-35inch LCD model to use on a variety of SD and HD sources at the time though, so depending on what you're looking for the best make/model of screen could vary...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 11:05:40 PM »
^ if it can upscale to a 1080p why don't the manufactuers boat about that?

Matty

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 12:41:35 AM »
??? if its one of the panasonic sets that i was talking about...they downscale to 1080p cause the native resolution of the tv is lower than that of 1080p. downscale = displays the source by decreasing number of pixels in it and upscaling is the opposite - a source is displayed at a higher resolution that it is actually stored at, obviously being more problematic because there's 'blanks' to fill in or play about with to get the source displayed full screen. if you got a lcd monitor its literally when you stretch a video but then it looks crappy cause of the souce being lower resolution than your display, although upscaling refers to when it isn't just stretched but processed to look better/much better than just blowing it up.

that's the problem with lcd and plasma displays compared to 'old school' CRT tvs. they are much smaller, economical etc etc but cause they are a 'fixed resolution' display you got all these issues with upscaling/downscaling to get around cause of the different resolutions content is stored in. a CRT screen uses a completely different technology that scales different resolutions pretty much perfectly and the contrast/colour is light years ahead of lcds too. shame they are so damn big but there are upcoming technologies that will offer higher quality imaging along with compact flat screens. for now though lcds have improved a lot (the panasonic hdtvs are really nice) and a high end plasma gives you the very best picture quality on a flat screen if you can afford it and are going for something big (around 40 inches or above).

peace.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:22 AM »
^ so, "goodbye box sets", in other words.

:'(

kemizt

hisairness

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »
From the research I've done, 1080p is just a marketing tool.  For example, if a manufacturer puts a "p" instead of an "i" they can sell a tv for hundreds more and make more money.  Asking people at Best Buy, Circuit City, or wherever will say the same thing because that's their job.  However, the only way you can see a difference between 720, 1080i, or 1080p is to get within a foot or so of your tv and then you can see minor granulation and cross patterns...but who gets that close to watch?

The only difference is between SD (480) and HD (720, 1080i/p).  I think that the more important things to look at when shopping for a tv are contrast ratios (the higher the number the better, i.e. 15,000:1) and refresh rates.  Those two things will give you more colors and less pixelation and make your picture better.  It has nothing to do with i or p or any other nonsense sales people want you to believe.
NIK - World's worst moderator.

RootieTooty

• Lil Geezy
  • CAMRON IS GOD!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »
Now that I finally have both set up, I have to say that I think they are both equally amazing.  I am very impressed with both, and I honestly dont see a difference in the two.  both are amazing.  Im surprised why some people think Blu-Ray is better in picture than HdDvd, both seem equal to me.
yeah? im gonna get me one of those so i can jack off to some AMAZING camron videos in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WC Iz Active

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
Here is the TV I just got.  I fuckin love it,  hd and blu-ray dvd's look great on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-REGZA-42HL67-720p-HDTV/dp/B000MY39HK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197875472&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:19:08 PM by SpIcE = SwAg »

thisoneguy360

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »
Damn I haven't even experienced either  :-X

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »
something in me still wants a 1080p over a 720p....even though all the research says it'll be more economical to get the 720 if i'm not going over 50 inches. maybe i should though....hmmmm

this shit is fucking with my mind....either way i'm going to need a couple grand .

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »
i'm not buying into none of them, i'm just waiting for the video on demand to come, fuck a support. I heard the last support is commin next with the holgraphic versatile disc which can hold 160 times what the blue ray does (4 terabits). That ultra high definition looks tight, i got a sharp aquos 42 inch screens. Next screen i'm gonna buy is a SED screen i hope they will be commercialized in the next year. Their definition and time response is by far superior to anything that exist on the market

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »
From the research I've done, 1080p is just a marketing tool.  For example, if a manufacturer puts a "p" instead of an "i" they can sell a tv for hundreds more and make more money.  Asking people at Best Buy, Circuit City, or wherever will say the same thing because that's their job.  However, the only way you can see a difference between 720, 1080i, or 1080p is to get within a foot or so of your tv and then you can see minor granulation and cross patterns...but who gets that close to watch?

The only difference is between SD (480) and HD (720, 1080i/p).  I think that the more important things to look at when shopping for a tv are contrast ratios (the higher the number the better, i.e. 15,000:1) and refresh rates.  Those two things will give you more colors and less pixelation and make your picture better.  It has nothing to do with i or p or any other nonsense sales people want you to believe.

1080i is 2 720 p image alternate. the image will be the same on a movie, but on a video game the different is noticeable due to the constant flashing of the screen that's quite annoying in 1080i