Author Topic: There Will Be Blood (Masterpiece? Film of the Decade?)  (Read 1629 times)

i B 2 QUIK 2 c

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
Re: There Will Be Blood (Masterpiece? Film of the Decade?)
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »
just saw this movie since it opened up to a few more markets (i'm in DC)... it was a really dope period piece... great use of a cyclical storyline, character development, sound and soundtrack  :o, dialogue... this movie was great

i really can't compare it to "No Country for Old Men"... i'm glad i'm not a member of the Academy  ;D cause it would be hard to award a best picture award since both films are deserving

Peace!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
just saw this movie since it opened up to a few more markets (i'm in DC)... it was a really dope period piece... great use of a cyclical storyline, character development, sound and soundtrack  :o, dialogue... this movie was great

i really can't compare it to "No Country for Old Men"... i'm glad i'm not a member of the Academy  ;D cause it would be hard to award a best picture award since both films are deserving

Peace!

Have you seen any Staley Kubrick films?  There Will Be Blood kinda reminds me of what a movie would look like if you mix elements from Kubrick's films and some from Scorsese.

i B 2 QUIK 2 c

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 03:40:24 PM »
the only Kubrick film i've seen is "Eyes Wide Shut"... i was in the 9th Grade and saw it in theatres, at the time i wished i peeped it alone  ;),  but i digress... anyways, the director of "There Will Be Blood", Paul Thomas Anderson, spent a day on the set of "Eyes Wide Shut" and got to meet with Kubrick... Anderson also directed "Boogie Nights", a movie I was able to peep alone  ;)... but i digress...

apparently, Daniel Day-Lewis stayed in character during the entire shoot for this film, and only talked to the Eli/Paul character during filming... i think he did the same thing as Cutting in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York"... incredible dedication and acting... i was impressed

but, yeah, this Paul Thomas Anderson film deserves to be mentioned among the likes of Kubrick, Scorsese and all other great filmmakers.

PEACE!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 07:29:44 PM »
the only Kubrick film i've seen is "Eyes Wide Shut"... i was in the 9th Grade and saw it in theatres, at the time i wished i peeped it alone  ;),  but i digress... anyways, the director of "There Will Be Blood", Paul Thomas Anderson, spent a day on the set of "Eyes Wide Shut" and got to meet with Kubrick... Anderson also directed "Boogie Nights", a movie I was able to peep alone  ;)... but i digress...

apparently, Daniel Day-Lewis stayed in character during the entire shoot for this film, and only talked to the Eli/Paul character during filming... i think he did the same thing as Cutting in Scorsese's "Gangs of New York"... incredible dedication and acting... i was impressed

but, yeah, this Paul Thomas Anderson film deserves to be mentioned among the likes of Kubrick, Scorsese and all other great filmmakers.

PEACE!

Word.  I brought up Kubrick because it reminded me a lot, and I mean a lot of the classics 2001: A Space Oddysey, The Shining and  Clockwork Orange.  And from the Scorsese side it reminded me of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver. 

Da818Pn0YgAnGztaA

• Lil Geezy
  • Ya d0 noT WaNt iT!!@@!
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »
THiS SHItT LOoKS BOrINg

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
^^^lmao
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »
So this boring little oil movie is doing pretty damn well...

There Will Be Blood is at #48 already in IMDB's Top 250

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt0469494

There's a good chance it will probably be 10-30 once it gets more reviews. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »
I mean, it started off slow, but it had a pretty good payoff. I'll be watching this again.

I thought it was a really good movie though.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 11:26:43 PM »

The best art really is a mirror on society that shows society for what it really is, not the pretentious hammer Paul Haggis talked about when he won his awarda few years back. In my opinion film is like paint, and both are at their finest when they comes as close to duplicating real life. If I can draw a painting of a man that looks so much like him you can't distinguish it from a photograph I am a superior artist than someone that cannot do the same. Thats how I see it. The more real the better. That doesn't mean I want films that have 15 minute secenes of a guy on the tiolet just shitting quietly. You can make creative  decisions to make something more entertaining and watchable and still make it real.

LOL Word.

heat

michael man makes LA look alive in his films