Author Topic: The Black Madonna, and The Original Gods Goddesses [Mental Gem ]  (Read 424 times)

Nat Turner-reincarnated

The Black Madonna and child or Black Mary and Jesus/Yahshua

Pope John Paul II (Truth-Concealer) praying at the Black Madonna Shrine in Czestochowa, Poland, in 1999.

Pope John Paul II blessing the Black Madonna in West Africa, 1992.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Re: The Black Madonna, and The Original Gods Goddesses [Mental Gem ]
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »
I really don't understand all this reverence for Mary by Catholics!
it's something i've never really understood!
Black Madonna I've heard about!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
only thing catholics know how to do is hide the truth. and molest little boys. true story

Joseph Bonanno

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • My library = triller than yours
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »
this should not be in gspot anyway, but the black madonnas are still unexplained and few in nature, there are several theories, such as your egotistical black paranoid one, where the black paint represents actual African descent (so vain) but the truth is it's not known the actual meaning behind a black madonna.

Joseph Bonanno

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • My library = triller than yours
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
here are some of the other theories than someone could heartedly believe in, such as you do.. like most religious/racial fanatics do.

Theories about the Black Madonnas

After a late 19th and early 20th century theory that applied dark skin color was due to the candles burnt in prayer to the Virgin Mary putting soot all over the statue, there was little study of the Black Madonnas for several decades. Some theologians and historians still believe that all examples of dark coloring can be accounted for by the natural color of the wood used or by changes in color over time. They may add that a pale alabaster face was a post-medieval development. A counter-argument points to the apparently her clothes where un-sooted. but though this is true it is believed to be a miracle.

Interest in studying Black Madonnas revived in the late 20th century. Scholars of comparative religion have suggested that Black Madonnas are descendants of pre-Christian mother or earth goddesses (Moss, Benko). Some have highlighted Isis as the key ancestor-goddess (Redd, McKinney-Johnson). Psychologists have discussed the maternal and female archetypes from a Jungian perspective (Gustafson, Begg). Although these approaches have stimulated academic interest, there is no well-established consensus about medieval motives for carving or painting Black Madonnas.

A direct link between the Black Madonnas of the European Middle Ages and ancient pagan traditions and representations has been asserted typologically since direct historical and artistic influences cannot be proved. Although no direct Catholic theological sources are available, it has also been suggested by many authors that the medieval veneration of Black Madonnas was in response to a line from the Song of Songs 1:5 in the Old Testament: "I am black but comely, O daughters of Jerusalem, ..." or "Nigra sum sed formosa" in Latin, words discussed at length in the sermons of Bernard of Clairvaux. Several surviving Black Madonnas are inscribed with these words, for example the figure from Tindari below; it is possible, however, that in some cases the inscriptions were added at a later date.

The revived interest, especially from feminist, neo-gnostic and neo-pagan writers and scholars, psychoanalysts and others in the 20th century, has led to various theories about the Black Madonnas. Many of these link the images of the Black Madonna either with pre-Christian traditions, or with themes such as feminine power.

Monique Scheer approaches this topic from the perspective of symbolic anthropology. She believes that these statues and paintings came to be perceived as Black Madonnas after the Middle Ages, perhaps as part of a Counter-Reformation tendency to promote "the veneration of miraculous images of Mary". She discusses the "symbolic meanings communicated by the dark skin of the Madonna" rather than focussing on the origins of their colour, and suggests that these symbolic meanings have been different in different eras and contexts.

Many writers seeking to interpret the Black Madonnas suggest some combination of the following elements:

* Black Madonnas have grown out of pre-Christian earth goddess traditions. Their dark skin may be associated with ancient images of these goddesses, and with the colour of fertile earth. They are often associated with stories of being found by chance in a natural setting: in a tree or by a spring, for example. Some of their Christian shrines are located on the sites of earlier temples to Cybele and Diana of Ephesus.

* Black Madonnas derive from the Egyptian goddess Isis. The dark skin may echo an African archetypal mother figure. Professor Stephen Benko among others says that early Christian pictures of a seated mother and child were influenced by images of Isis and Horus. (See figure.)
    * Black Madonnas express a feminine power not fully conveyed by a pale-skinned Mary, who seems to symbolise gentler qualities like obedience and purity. This idea can be discussed in Jungian terms. The "feminine power" approach may be linked to Mary Magdalene and female sexuality repressed by the medieval Church. In France, there are traditions affirming that some statues are of Mary Magdalene and not of Mary, the mother of Jesus, but these traditions and related theories are generally rejected by theologians. The suggestion that Black Madonnas represent feminine power may be linked with the earth goddesses and attributed to the archetypal "great mother" who presides not only over fertility, but over life and death. These ideas overlap with "feminist spirituality" or "women's spirituality". (Chiavola Birnbaum)
    * Black Madonnas are sometimes associated with the Templars and/or St. Bernard of Clairvaux. Ean Begg suggests they were revered by an esoteric cult with Templar and/or Cathar links, but this idea is dismissed by other writers, who may also reject stories of a connection with Mary Magdalene, and any gnostic or heretical traditions.
    * Some Black Madonnas may have been created because the artist was familiar with other similar images.

One 21st century suggestion which is devotional and not academic, and which illustrates Scheer's point about different eras and contexts, proposes that the black mother and child remind us of the under-privileged black people of the world, and the nurturing care offered to the infant symbolises Jesus' love for the poor and dispossessed.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
^^ interesting i will read when i get back

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
here are some of the other theories than someone could heartedly believe in, such as you do.. like most religious/racial fanatics do.

Theories about the Black Madonnas

After a late 19th and early 20th century theory that applied dark skin color was due to the candles burnt in prayer to the Virgin Mary putting soot all over the statue, there was little study of the Black Madonnas for several decades. Some theologians and historians still believe that all examples of dark coloring can be accounted for by the natural color of the wood used or by changes in color over time. They may add that a pale alabaster face was a post-medieval development. A counter-argument points to the apparently her clothes where un-sooted. but though this is true it is believed to be a miracle.

Interest in studying Black Madonnas revived in the late 20th century. Scholars of comparative religion have suggested that Black Madonnas are descendants of pre-Christian mother or earth goddesses (Moss, Benko). Some have highlighted Isis as the key ancestor-goddess (Redd, McKinney-Johnson). Psychologists have discussed the maternal and female archetypes from a Jungian perspective (Gustafson, Begg). Although these approaches have stimulated academic interest, there is no well-established consensus about medieval motives for carving or painting Black Madonnas.

A direct link between the Black Madonnas of the European Middle Ages and ancient pagan traditions and representations has been asserted typologically since direct historical and artistic influences cannot be proved. Although no direct Catholic theological sources are available, it has also been suggested by many authors that the medieval veneration of Black Madonnas was in response to a line from the Song of Songs 1:5 in the Old Testament: "I am black but comely, O daughters of Jerusalem, ..." or "Nigra sum sed formosa" in Latin, words discussed at length in the sermons of Bernard of Clairvaux. Several surviving Black Madonnas are inscribed with these words, for example the figure from Tindari below; it is possible, however, that in some cases the inscriptions were added at a later date.

The revived interest, especially from feminist, neo-gnostic and neo-pagan writers and scholars, psychoanalysts and others in the 20th century, has led to various theories about the Black Madonnas. Many of these link the images of the Black Madonna either with pre-Christian traditions, or with themes such as feminine power.

Monique Scheer approaches this topic from the perspective of symbolic anthropology. She believes that these statues and paintings came to be perceived as Black Madonnas after the Middle Ages, perhaps as part of a Counter-Reformation tendency to promote "the veneration of miraculous images of Mary". She discusses the "symbolic meanings communicated by the dark skin of the Madonna" rather than focussing on the origins of their colour, and suggests that these symbolic meanings have been different in different eras and contexts.

Many writers seeking to interpret the Black Madonnas suggest some combination of the following elements:

* Black Madonnas have grown out of pre-Christian earth goddess traditions. Their dark skin may be associated with ancient images of these goddesses, and with the colour of fertile earth. They are often associated with stories of being found by chance in a natural setting: in a tree or by a spring, for example. Some of their Christian shrines are located on the sites of earlier temples to Cybele and Diana of Ephesus.

* Black Madonnas derive from the Egyptian goddess Isis. The dark skin may echo an African archetypal mother figure. Professor Stephen Benko among others says that early Christian pictures of a seated mother and child were influenced by images of Isis and Horus. (See figure.)
    * Black Madonnas express a feminine power not fully conveyed by a pale-skinned Mary, who seems to symbolise gentler qualities like obedience and purity. This idea can be discussed in Jungian terms. The "feminine power" approach may be linked to Mary Magdalene and female sexuality repressed by the medieval Church. In France, there are traditions affirming that some statues are of Mary Magdalene and not of Mary, the mother of Jesus, but these traditions and related theories are generally rejected by theologians. The suggestion that Black Madonnas represent feminine power may be linked with the earth goddesses and attributed to the archetypal "great mother" who presides not only over fertility, but over life and death. These ideas overlap with "feminist spirituality" or "women's spirituality". (Chiavola Birnbaum)
    * Black Madonnas are sometimes associated with the Templars and/or St. Bernard of Clairvaux. Ean Begg suggests they were revered by an esoteric cult with Templar and/or Cathar links, but this idea is dismissed by other writers, who may also reject stories of a connection with Mary Magdalene, and any gnostic or heretical traditions.
    * Some Black Madonnas may have been created because the artist was familiar with other similar images.

One 21st century suggestion which is devotional and not academic, and which illustrates Scheer's point about different eras and contexts, proposes that the black mother and child remind us of the under-privileged black people of the world, and the nurturing care offered to the infant symbolises Jesus' love for the poor and dispossessed.

That Theory among a few others is what I've read been taught as the most widely accepted, and still debating theories!!
It kinda makes sense in a way
Especially with the deities in Ancient Egypt....

Most esp descendant of the Nubia..which is now modern day Sudan.actually Southern Sudan to be exact.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »
only thing catholics know how to do is hide the truth. and molest little boys. true story
Yeah that Aspect of the Catholic Church is pretty depressing!!
The Catholic church at the moemnt is mired with different cultures and practices of various indigenous folks and peoples..

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Hey Bro, you seem to be dropping in Karma each time you post a thread..Last Time I checked, you were on '-47' now you are on *-49*

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
Hey Bro, you seem to be dropping in Karma each time you post a thread..Last Time I checked, you were on '-47' now you are on *-49*
oh yeah you know these devils and house niggas are hating on the GOD. its all good im almost up to 500 and i will be droppin the karma of these sensitive ass devils true story. while im droppin their karma i'll be proppin the real niggas at the same time

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
oh yeah you know these devils and house niggas are hating on the GOD. its all good im almost up to 500 and i will be droppin the karma of these sensitive ass devils true story. while im droppin their karma i'll be proppin the real niggas at the same time

gotdamn you one dangerous nigga

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »

your karma will be droppin

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 08:22:23 PM »

your karma will be droppin

yo mamas panties be droppin

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »

read the bible, she's the most important person in the new testament beside jesus

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »
word