Author Topic: U guys Like Da Beatminerz???   news from them.....  (Read 62 times)

Hambone (Guest)

U guys Like Da Beatminerz???   news from them.....
« on: May 26, 2001, 10:24:01 PM »
Features:
Da Beatminerz
written by Jesus Trivino
Monday - May 21, 2001

"I think I got it," Mr. Walt, elder statesman of the Da Beatminerz, says in NYC's legendary D&D Studios. The beat drops with a thunderous blast, gathering steam toward its end.

"You got it, don't touch it no more," says DJ Evil Dee, his young brother, also a member of the Da 'Minerz.

As the five-man production (Mr. Walt, DJ Evil Dee, Baby Paul, Chocolate Tye, and Rich Black) put the finishing touches on their forthcoming Rawkus Records album, Brace 4 Impak, they still find a moment to entertain themselves by skimming through the latest editions of some entertainment magazines laying around and illing out on comments their peers dish out to the media. Today, they're most critical of a certain East Coast female emcee's appearance, as well as a prolific DJ/producer's lack of cojones.

It's 4:45pm on this warm spring Friday and only Mr. Walt and Evil Dee are in the lab. Expecting their cohorts later, the brothers begin their session and conduct a meeting with a European girl act interested in working with them.

The duo converse over beats like businessmen talking about stocks and bonds. "The beat I gave you, I think Pharoahe Monch is rhyming on that," says Mr. Walt, who wears black-rimmed glasses.

"I have to give it to him," says DJ Evil Dee, his dreadlocks swinging from side to side.

Working in D&D's cramped A Room, Mr. Walt uses comedy to relieve the stress that a in-high-demand producer confronts daily.

"That's it. I ain't making beats no more. [Long pause] Oh, okay," says Mr. Walt with a smirk. The beat drops again and he listens intently for any flaw in the drum sequence. "It's a little late," he declares, staring blankly at the SP1200.

"Okay, run it back," says Eric, the assistant engineer. Once again the beat blasts through the speakers, while everyone in the room nonchalantly bobs their heads.

"It's off," says Mr. Walt.

"You're right, " Eric says, extending his tattooed arm towards Mr. Walt.

"You don't even know how to play drums," he replies, breaking out in laughter. "You know I'm a perfectionist."

Eric sighs as to say, Good Lord, I know
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Hambone (Guest)

Re: U guys Like Da Beatminerz???   news from them.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2001, 10:24:29 PM »
The most well-known of the clique is DJ Evil Dee, due in part to underground mix tapes such as 5 Deadly Venoms of Brooklyn, made with D&D comrades Tony Touch and DJ Premier. In addition, his affiliation with Black Moon and New York and German radio stations have contributed to his notoriety.

D&D Studios, named for founders David Lotwin and Douglas Grama, is much more than a recording facility to its artists-its a second home. Evil Dee affirms the unique D&D atmosphere, "It's crazy in here, we do our thang while hanging out." Legends such as Gang Starr, KRS-One, M.O.P, Notorious B.I.G., among many others have recorded gems inside the walls of this Hip-Hop landmark.

How Hip-Hop is D&D? The lounge's vending machine offers the option of buying a bag of chips, gum or a pack of Phillie Blunts. And, how do Da Beatminerz fit in to the studio's vibe? According to Grama, "They just bring their fun-loving attitude [here with] Evil Dee being the class clown and always making everyone laugh and Mr. Walt being the Hip-Hop historian that he is. Knowledge of Hip-Hop, of what's whack and what's not whack."

Da 'Minerz have also lent their production magic to the D&D All Stars' first single, "Hot Shit," off the Fat Beats Compilation, on D&D Records set to drop in late June. The 12-inch single featuring Big Daddy Kane, Guru, Sadat X, and Greg Nice is rather unique. Along with distinguished emcees on the mic, the song also provides the opportunity for listeners to witness the distinct flavors two of Da 'Minerz possess; the original version is produced by Mr. Walt, while the remix is handled by DJ Evil Dee.

Tonight the highly touted producers hope to complete one of the final beats for their very own debut album. A couple of hours after Mr. Walt and DJ Evil Dee have already started making beats in the studio, Baby Paul, walks into the room and notices a newly arrived photographer.

"Who the pictures for?" asks Baby Paul.

"Da Beatminerz," says the photographer.

"Yeah I'm part of [them]. I'm Baby Paul."

Baby Paul, Mr. Walt, and DJ Evil Dee get ready for the photo lens. As they fix themselves for the camera Mr. Walt continues to use humor to assuage the long hours of work ahead.

Addressing his younger brother Mr. Walt directs him to "pretend like you did some work." Following his older brother's instructions, DJ Evil Dee motions towards the mixing board, mimicking some work as the camera captures the moment.

Da Beatminerz's debut album, Brace 4 Impak, featuring artists such as M.O.P, Black Moon, Flipmode Squad, and Talib Kweli is scheduled to be released by Rawkus Records in mid-summer, 2001.

cremedelaclem

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Mike T.V..... aka OsKa sWiNdLa      .............. .."Lifes a bitch and then you die"...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2001, 02:29:24 PM »
thats dope...i knew they had an album dropping soon

remember y'all evil dee is that ill nigga responsible for the first 'soundbombing' ....ima check this.....
"and even after all my logic and my theory.............ill add a motherfucker so you ignorant niggas hear me"

Hambone (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2001, 02:37:08 PM »
yep...i like how they are down to earth......

Top-Dogg2001

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Stillmatic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2001, 06:43:59 PM »
I can't wait to cop this shit. It was supposed to come out this month. Now I hear it will be out this summer.
Picture yourself crushin Xzibit with your tough talk,
thats like Christopher Reeve doin' the crip walk.- Xzibit

Suicidal, High I'm smoking so much la,
I saw a dead bird flying through a broken sky-
Nas