Author Topic: Chris Paul should be MVP...  (Read 1103 times)

SGV

Re: Chris Paul should be MVP...
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »

The teams are in the same position but Kobe is unquestionably the better individual player...People are starting to forget, MVP is not usually rewarded to the best player on the best team, but rather the best player in the league on a strong team...PeACe

It's never about being the best player on the best team to me. It's about being the most valuable. Sometimes, just being the best isn't enough to be the most valuable. Look at the 96/97 season. It's about what they bring to their team and how well they are able to get their team to play WITH them. I think Paul is the best example of that. He's second in assists in the league and STILL leads his team in scoring. His performance increases, his team wins more. Kobe has performed at this level often, only difference is this season he has a better supporting cast to compliment his play. When determining the valuable-ness of a player, that's what I look at.

wcsoldier

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
the NBA should change the name of the award ... the only sure thing imo is we can argue FOREVER about who's the MVP , give our different reasons but EVEN if we all were objective , I don't think we will reach a general agreement

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

The teams are in the same position but Kobe is unquestionably the better individual player...People are starting to forget, MVP is not usually rewarded to the best player on the best team, but rather the best player in the league on a strong team...PeACe

It's never about being the best player on the best team to me. It's about being the most valuable. Sometimes, just being the best isn't enough to be the most valuable. Look at the 96/97 season. It's about what they bring to their team and how well they are able to get their team to play WITH them. I think Paul is the best example of that. He's second in assists in the league and STILL leads his team in scoring. His performance increases, his team wins more. Kobe has performed at this level often, only difference is this season he has a better supporting cast to compliment his play. When determining the valuable-ness of a player, that's what I look at.

Almost every franchise player is just as valuable to their team...the difference is in who is better out of those difference-makers. And Kobe is clearly better than Chris Paul...PeACe

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
i agree with what your saying.
I feel Chris Paul should be the leagues MVP just because of the turn around he has provided to the hornets.. that being said im happy with kobe as an MVP as well.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
The MVP award is a popularity contest Just like being An All-Star.
Shit, I could say that Either Andre be it Miller/Iguodala is the MVP! Imagine The Sixers Without Either of Them?
What about C.Bosh & Toronto, The Team Can't win without Him in The Lineup..

Maybe I'll give The MVP award To E.Brand Without Having Even played Once, It's Obvious he's the MVP of the Clippers..
Look at Their record and play Compared To having Him in The Lineup it's Like Night & Day.

Kobe, CP3, LeBron.....All MVP's of Their Teams.
The League MVP Should and will Go to the Player bringing in The Ratings and $
I say The MVP is Yao Ming, he's has The Highest rated basketball games in NBA History Twice this season.

;D

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
The MVP award is a popularity contest Just like being An All-Star.
Shit, I could say that Either Andre be it Miller/Iguodala is the MVP! Imagine The Sixers Without Either of Them?
What about C.Bosh & Toronto, The Team Can't win without Him in The Lineup..

Maybe I'll give The MVP award To E.Brand Without Having Even played Once, It's Obvious he's the MVP of the Clippers..
Look at Their record and play Compared To having Him in The Lineup it's Like Night & Day.

Kobe, CP3, LeBron.....All MVP's of Their Teams.
The League MVP Should and will Go to the Player bringing in The Ratings and $
I say The MVP is Yao Ming, he's has The Highest rated basketball games in NBA History Twice this season.

;D

Great point about Andre Miller.

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2008, 11:35:39 AM »
The fact of the matter is Chris Paul is leading a team no one expected to make the playoffs to a possible number 1 seed in the west with no where near as good as a supporting cast as the lakers.. although kobe is the better individual player between the two its about who makes the players around him better. That is why Steve Nash won back to back years because he made the players around him better much like Chris Paul.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
The fact of the matter is Chris Paul is leading a team no one expected to make the playoffs to a possible number 1 seed in the west with no where near as good as a supporting cast as the lakers.. although kobe is the better individual player between the two its about who makes the players around him better. That is why Steve Nash won back to back years because he made the players around him better much like Chris Paul.

Peja Stojakavic
Tyson Chandler
David West
and Mo Peterson

that's not a bad supporting cast...I expected them to make the playoffs. I admit, I didn't know they'd be this good, but you replace Chris Paul with Deron Williams, and New Orleans would be in just about the same situation. You wanna talk about making teammates better? Andre Miller is leading a team that was supposed to be amongst the worst in the league to the playoffs and a winning record. Is he the MVP? How 'bout what T-Mac has done with Houston ever since Yao went out? If Paul is MVP worthy, McGrady should be as well...I just don't see any arguments strong enough for why someone other than Kobe should win it...PeACe

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
Chris Paul is on a whole nother level then deron williams.. deron williams has a better suporting cast with carlos boozer and ak 47 ur a fool if u disagree

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
Chris Paul is on a whole nother level then deron williams.. deron williams has a better suporting cast with carlos boozer and ak 47 ur a fool if u disagree

Tyson Chandler, David West, & Peja Stojakavic > Carlos Boozer & Andrei Kirilenko

Chris Paul and Deron Williams are on the same level...Paul just gets more attention because he puts up those crazy stats and is more of a scorer, but Deron Williams is not far behind (if at all).

MoreSwaggerThanMickJagger

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
I really think Dwight should be right there with Paul and Kobe in these discussions.  Kobe is easily the best in the league and he deserves the mvp but Paul and Howard are deserving aswell.

SGV

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
Had T-Mac been without Yao the entire season, then you might have a case here, NIK. But, that's not what happened. He had Yao backing him up. Poor arguement.

As for Andre Miller... the Sixers are just under .500 right now, as valuable as he may be to that team, his team isn't riding as high as the Hornets. So that's another poor arguement.

Williams is good, but Paul is better. It's easy to say that a Williams led Hornets team would do just as well, but you have no way of proving that so, that's yet another poor arguement.

Plain and simple... show us the pros and cons between Kobe and Paul. What makes Kobe that much more of a MVP candidate than Chris Paul.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »
Had T-Mac been without Yao the entire season, then you might have a case here, NIK. But, that's not what happened. He had Yao backing him up. Poor arguement.

As for Andre Miller... the Sixers are just under .500 right now, as valuable as he may be to that team, his team isn't riding as high as the Hornets. So that's another poor arguement.

Williams is good, but Paul is better. It's easy to say that a Williams led Hornets team would do just as well, but you have no way of proving that so, that's yet another poor arguement.

Plain and simple... show us the pros and cons between Kobe and Paul. What makes Kobe that much more of a MVP candidate than Chris Paul.

First of all, the Rockets have won something like 12 consecutive games without Yao, which should heighten his chance at MVP...Secondly, Andre Miller is playing for a much worse team than the Hornets. So yea, he's not in MVP discussion, but who's to say that he's not doing as much for his team as Chris Paul is doing for his? And lastly, there is no objective way of measuring how much a player contributes to his team, so saying Deron Williams would fare the same in Paul's shoes is not a stretch, but rather a valid analogy IMO. Just like you said Paul is 2nd in the league in assists and still leads his team in scoring, I can say Kobe is 2nd in the league in scoring, but still leads his team in assists...

And you want more pros and cons?

Kobe is a better player
Kobe is leading his team through a hand injury that requires surgery
Kobe is leading a SHORT-HANDED Laker team
Kobe is long overdue for an MVP award (and is playing the best ball of his career)
Kobe's team is the 3rd youngest in the league

Paul would not be in the same position if David West or Tyson Chandler were out for the season (ala Bynum)
Paul is yet to reach the playoffs or prove that he can win when it counts
Paul is amongst the best point guards in the league, but not the clear-cut best
Paul's defense is nowhere near the level of Kobe's defense
Paul has not achieved nearly as much as Kobe and, again, is not nearly as good a player

Is that good enough? I can go on forever...But the fact of the matter is, Kobe is the MVP. Chris Paul is a hell of a player, but he has a ways to go before he reaches Kobe status.

SGV

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:29 PM »

First of all, the Rockets have won something like 12 consecutive games without Yao, which should heighten his chance at MVP...Secondly, Andre Miller is playing for a much worse team than the Hornets. So yea, he's not in MVP discussion, but who's to say that he's not doing as much for his team as Chris Paul is doing for his? And lastly, there is no objective way of measuring how much a player contributes to his team, so saying Deron Williams would fare the same in Paul's shoes is not a stretch, but rather a valid analogy IMO. Just like you said Paul is 2nd in the league in assists and still leads his team in scoring, I can say Kobe is 2nd in the league in scoring, but still leads his team in assists...

In this streak, Yao went down after 12 straight. They've won 10 without him. 10 games does not equate an entire season to me. And, sure, Miller is very important to the Sixers, but since they're nowhere near where the Hornets are, speaks volumes about the leadership and how well that "valuable" player gets others involved. As for your last sentence, sure, Kobe is averaging 5 assists or so a game, which is leading his team, but that's not the same as Paul averaging about 22 points and 11 assists.

And you want more pros and cons?

Kobe is a better player

Poor arguement. Better player does not mean MVP. Again, Malone won MVP over Jordan.

Kobe is leading his team through a hand injury that requires surgery

That's great. He's able to work through an injury, doesn't really mean he's an MVP though.

Kobe is leading a SHORT-HANDED Laker team

Yes, we know Bynum went down and so did Mihm. But Gasol filled that void nicely. Short handed? Please. The bench is still as deep.

Kobe is long overdue for an MVP award (and is playing the best ball of his career)

So because he's long overdue for the award, he's supposed to get it?

Kobe's team is the 3rd youngest in the league

That does speak to his leadership, but then again, Paul is the leader of his team and he's the 2nd youngest.

Paul would not be in the same position if David West or Tyson Chandler were out for the season (ala Bynum)

How do you know that? Poor arguement.

Paul is yet to reach the playoffs or prove that he can win when it counts

Yes, he's yet to reach the playoffs, which they will be doing this year. Speaking volumes about his importance to the team. And we will see if can win when it counts this year. But, reaching the playoffs in other seasons or winning when it counts in other seasons holds no weight when considering the MVP of THIS season.

Paul is amongst the best point guards in the league, but not the clear-cut best

Look at what he's done against Nash each them they've played this season. That's clear to me.

Paul's defense is nowhere near the level of Kobe's defense

I'll give you that.

Paul has not achieved nearly as much as Kobe and, again, is not nearly as good a player

What does what a player has achieved have to do with being the MVP? Again, being a better player doesn't make you the MVP.

Is that good enough? I can go on forever...But the fact of the matter is, Kobe is the MVP. Chris Paul is a hell of a player, but he has a ways to go before he reaches Kobe status.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »
No matter what I say, you're gunna say "how do you know that?" or "poor argument"...What you don't see is that you can say that for anything...That's what opinions and analogies are about. Can they be questioned? Yes. Does that mean they're not legit opinions? Of course it doesn't. If I say Kobe is playing with a short handed team, you say we got Gasol (which means nothing, since we still are missing Ariza and are playing with Radmanovic in the starting line-up). If I say Kobe is playing through an injury, you say that it doesn't make him MVP. I say Kobe is a better player, you say that the best player is not the MVP...you have to realize that all those arguments DO factor into MVP consideration...sure, being the best player is not the only reason you give someone an MVP, but your individual level of play is definitely a large part of it. 22 points and 11 assists is amazing. But you got players like Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Tony Parker etc. all who are on Paul's level...I wouldn't put ANYONE on Kobe's level, especially not at his position. To me, Kobe is having a better season than the one where he averaged 35+ PPG, and his stats are way down (still better than Paul's, though). That goes to show how little relevance stats have when measuring how good a player is...Let me hear your pros and cons for why Paul is the MVP over Kobe? this should be interesting...