Author Topic: The "Official" RapReviews of Ego Trippin'  (Read 350 times)

Ese Torsido

The "Official" RapReviews of Ego Trippin'
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
Let's see how this album favors Flash of RapReviews.com. Post your thoughts:

http://www.rapreviews.com/archive/2008_03_egotrippin.html

KC-HOODSTA

Re: The "Official" RapReviews of Ego Trippin'
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
he gave it a huge review

see now that i don't have money

i want to get it >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

snopafly

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »
 :) nice review , many things i agree with the reviewer . This album sound so different and fresh.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
review is so on point!

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
GREAT review!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
He even gets Teddy Riley to give him a straight up Michael Jackson track to sing over on "Cool." When you hear this song you'll immediately think "Thriller" for all of the right reasons.

Thats a stupid thing to say, seeing that MJ had nothing to do with the original track or this song. They'll let anyone do reviews these days.

David Mack

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • $700,000 richer Blood
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
steve flash whateva the fuck is the most biased reviewer on dat site i wouldn't be suprised it mainstream rappas pay dat faggot off. He given guys like 50 cent and yayo 8 or 9 for lyrics give me a fuckin break.

Officer Perez

??? I don't know this guy so fuck you!

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
lmao

no @ this review

cool compared to mj? especially thriller? wow.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
that dude who wrote that has reviewed a shitload of albums :o

I think he rated it a little too high with 9's maybe 8 for beats and 7 for lyrics

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »
I don't understand this.

he gave BCT an 8 for beats, and this a 9. I don't know how anyone can argue that one - the beats on this one are just weak. It's not even a matter of taste - the quality isn't even comparable imo.

And lyrically, Snoop was alot doper on BCT. It can't even be the subject matter, because he often praises Jeezy, Wayne, TI, etc... and Snoop was actually spittin on that record.

I don't know what else to say.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
I don't understand this.

he gave BCT an 8 for beats, and this a 9. I don't know how anyone can argue that one - the beats on this one are just weak. It's not even a matter of taste - the quality isn't even comparable imo.

And lyrically, Snoop was alot doper on BCT. It can't even be the subject matter, because he often praises Jeezy, Wayne, TI, etc... and Snoop was actually spittin on that record.

I don't know what else to say.

Co-sign on everything

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »
This one is much better:

Snoop Dogg - Ego Trippin' Review

A reinvigorated LBC player kicks old game with a new twist.

by Spence D.

March 11, 2008 - On the track "Neva Have 2 Worry" guest Jamie Foxx languidly states "15 years in the game and I'm still relevant. It's a blessing..." Referring to Snoop's place not only the rap game, but the pop cultural slipstream, the line proves to be a pivotal reflection on career longevity since the entertainment world is notorious for lovingly embracing and then unceremoniously tossing aside their icons without a second thought. For Snoop to still be making music is testament enough. That his latest is actually one of his most comprehensive efforts since he first burst on the scene is proof positive.

With album number nine Snoop keeps things on track, which means if you've followed Snoop throughout his decade-plus career, then you more or less know what to expect; the low and slow rhyme flow, slinky beats, and a SoCal swagger that's become his trademark shuffle. This time around, however, Snoop has the Dogg Pound back in full force plus he has joined forces with DJ Quik and Teddy Riley, resulting in a more cohesive PoMo soul flare with progressive undertones. Musically this album is dense and innovative, working like a running conceptual piece rather than a collection of individual tracks.

"A Word Witcha! (Intro)" sets the sound stage with moog, guitars, and percussion and elements of the Marvin Gaye number "Distant Lover." It creates a deep rooted dark soul vibe over which Snoop provides an ultra brief recap of what we're to expect for the next 20 tracks. The first album track proper, "Press Play," features Kurupt and a live horn section, again further elaborating on the deep Post Modern Soul theatrics. Snoop actually flexes some modulation within his flow, showcasing that he has a few more styles tucked in his back pocket other than his familiar stoned drawl.

With "SD Is Out" the proceedings get injected with a little Zapp electronic vocalization and silky sonic introspection while Snoop delivers a more talk oriented rap, kind of like he's dropping a curbside lecture rather than a rap. "Gangsta Like Me" flows seamlessly from "SD Is Out," creating a universal vibe. The breathy voices that swirl in the background create a sonic mist that's not unlike the herbal clouds most associated with Snoop. The vocal mix is what really makes the track pop, featuring Riley, Jamie Foxx, and Tessica Harris on the chorus and a disorienting swath of psychedelic atmospheria floating throughout.

Even though it blends together with the previous track "Sexual Eruption" comes off a bit hokey. Chock it up to Snoop's use of the vocoder to create a bugged out electro soul shuffle that while musically fluid, still has an air of shtick about it. It's only when Snoop ditches the synth accoutrements and drops a quick-paced rap that the track picks up steam. The sexual themology slips into "Life Of Da Party," which features Too $hort and Mistah F.A.B., showcasing that SoCal/NorCal unification. The track is a slinky surge of sway and hustle, F.A.B. and $hort kicking laid back flavor that mixes well with Snoop's demeanor.

Interestingly enough Snoop keeps the high profile guest appearances that have often diluted some of his previous albums to a minimum this time around. While Quik and Riley are on board, most of it is behind-the-scenes in the form of production and mixing. Additionally, folks like Jamie Foxx are low-key, delivering more or less uncredited cameos and background vocals. With the exceptions of the aforementioned F.A.B. and $hort, the only other featured guests as Rafael Saadiq and Charlie Wilson. Saadiq pops up on the swerving slow jam "Waste Of Time." Wilson pops up on the final track, "Can't Say Goodbye," which is built around a piano fill eerily reminiscent of Bruce Hornsby's " ". While the track is understated and reflective and could easily have come off cheesy, Snoop makes it work by doing a flashback on his upbringing and his place in the hierarchy of rapdom.

The spectre of the Purple One is evoked on "Cool," in which Snoop does his best to cover The Time's classic, "Cool." It's a novelty, to be sure. While not as garish as "Sexual Eruption," it feels a little quirky and campy within the context of the rest of the album. Again, however, Riley's swift production and the seamless mixing by Quik make it get lost in the rest of the album's flow.

Thankfully the Neptunes bring the boss Dogg back to center with the electro Calypso boom of "Sets Up," a track that is slinky, bumpin', and perfect for Snoop's menacing algidity. "Deez Hollywood Nights" is built around rag piano and caterwauling female crooning (you'd swear that Snoop got Edith Bunker dropping the chorus). It's slinky, goofy, and perfect. Meanwhile "Whateva U Do" returns to the electro shuffle, blips and squiggles of synth worming their way throughout Snoop's verbal swagger. While lyrically it's all about trolling for b!tches and sexual exploits mixed with chronic indulgence, Snoops flow and the beat make it rise above redundancy.

Rick Rock brings some Hyphy sounding grind to "Staxxx In My Jeans," over which Snoop commands the sluggish and ominous groove. He flips the script on "Been Around Tha World," a song dedicated to his "boo." It's a ballad that's dripping with sentimentality and a bit of sly humor ("gangstas don't die, they just move to Miami"). Like a few of the other tracks on the album it feels a little misplaced, both thematically and musically.

"Let It Out" gets things back on track, both musically and lyrically, as Snoop delivers a speedy liquid delivery, pushing words out of his grill with quick paced verve. Then the Dogg pulls a 180 with "My Medicine," a country ode to Johnny Cash. Featuring Whitey Ford (aka Everlast) on guitar it's a mellow twister, further showing the connection between Blues, Folk, Country, and Rap.

The obligatory whoride track gets kicked out in the form of "Ridin' In My Chevy." It's followed by yet another sex rhyme swindle in the form of "Those Gurlz." The piano that drives the track is great, but the sped up Kanye soul vocal production on the chorus seriously detracts from the vibe. "One Chance (Make It Good)" is another soul burner with rich background vocals snipped from the Prince Phillip Mitchell number "Make It Good." Snoop and company prove to have been digging really deep in the crates for "Why Did You Leave Me" which borrows elements of Mike Oldfield's "Celtic Rain." Like "Been Around The World" Snoops lyrical inspiration is heartfelt and the track scores points for creativity, that's for sure, but it ultimately comes off a little awkward from a musical standpoint.

The union of Snoop, Quik, and Riley was a smart move on the Bigg Dogg's part. Musically he's seldom been stronger, except during his Dre days. Quik's overall mixing creates a fluid listening experience that flows like crystal clear water from start to finish. Even the tracks that waver and teeter on the brink of cheese ("Sexual Eruption" and "Cool" come immediately to mind) manage to come off with finesse when taken in context of the whole. If there's one major complaint, however, it's that 21 tracks (with a total running time of 1 hour, 17 minutes, and 43 seconds) is still a lot of music to digest. The album easily could have been edited down to 12 or 15 tracks and still had the same impact. Aside from that, Ego Trippin' has Snoop and friends cold lampin' LBC style, bringing everything back to the core, relying on Snoop's flavor and personality and a sense of strong musicality. Here Snoop isn't so much ego trippin' as he is showin' and provin'.

Download Worthy:
1. "Gangsta Like Me"
2. "Neva Have 2 Worry"
3. "Life Of Da Party"
4. "Sets Out"
5. "Deez Hollywood Nights"
6. "Let It Out"
7. "My Medicine"
8. "Ridin' In My Chevy"
9. "One Chance (Make It Good)"
10. "Can't Say Goodbye"

IGN's Ratings for Ego Trippin'
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.4 OVERALL

Source: http://music.ign.com/articles/858/858418p1.html

PLANT

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »
Good review IMO....I like every track on there, altho I think theres a couple that dont really fit the vibe of the album well.  Could be a near classic at around 17 tracks, but I still think this album is the bomb! 8)

Ese Torsido

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »
You know, none of the reviews so far even mention Scoop DeVille. Give him some credit.