Author Topic: the purpose of mixtape DJ's, especially for establised artists  (Read 932 times)

grime

• Lil Geezy
Re: the purpose of mixtape DJ's, especially for establised artists
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »
Well, I have a feeling these "dj's" were brought up listening to good hip hop, and as the pool of actual talent got smaller they felt they could be attached some "big" names by getting in the mixtape game...whether the fact that these are real "mixed tapes" and dj's are really doing their job is highly debatable, and lame, but there are enough suckers to buy into it.

however, back in the 70's and 80's dj's did a lot of tagging, however this was at live clubs and functions so they could get their name out. the fact that so called dj's still do it today on cd's is kinda selfish and useless, but hey, thats how most rap music is i guess.  :-\

but like i said before, established artists don't need the DJ's, they can just reject them.

With the state of the music industry right now even the established artists need all the help they can get. The point of a tag is to show exclusiveness, so other people can't take credit for getting the song out there first that didn't. The DJ who tags it usually gets it out to you before an untagged version comes. If an untagged version is not available you are forced to listen to a version with a DJ tag over it until then. You're going to hear that DJ's name everytime you hear the song so it's great promotion. Don't they deserve a little something for getting you the song before everybody else?

I will say that sometimes DJ's go overboard with the tags. Also, DJ's who release mixtapes without actually mixing and blending songs are trash and a disgrace to the profession.

ILL AGREE THERE IS TOMANY FOO THINK THERE DJS. CANT EVEN BLEND A TRACK...

BIG UP TO THE REAL DJS AND ARTIST WITH OUT THE DJ THERE BE NO HIP HOP.  MIXTAPES ARE TRENDY ANYMORE.. I LIKED WHEN THE TAPES WERE ABOUT GETTING THE ARTIST EXOSURE AND THE DJS. NO DJS( FAKE ASS ONE) JUST WANT SOME FAME OFF OTHER FOOLS TRACKS.. REAL ARTIST KNOW WHO TO WORK WITH..

OUR JOB AS DJS IS TO GET THE MUSIC TO THE LISTENER AND BLAST THAT SHIT IN THE CLUBS... U ALL LOVE THE EXCLUSIVES BUT BITCH ABOUT THE TAGGS. WELL WAIT FOR THE ALBUM THEN AND BUY THATS SHIT . KILL THE BOOTLEGGERS@@@2

DJ F Sharp

• 'G'
  • I'm a hustla
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »
The purpose of mixtapes is starting to evidently disappear as now since everyone likes to download and sit in their living room all day and visit datpiff.com there is no fucking regulation to the AMOUNT or QUALITY of mixtapes put out.  People just upload to those free sites and consumers (ie: you guys) have 2 options:

1.  Search through the 1,000's of "so called mixtapes" uploaded to free internet sites and stay at home in your own "comfort zone"
2.  Go to the local record store or hip hop shop and take a look through the PHYSICAL pile of mixtapes (alw

You can notice that the serious and real mixtapes are the ones pressed up, with good looking graphics, and some even come in a fucking cd jewel case (not the slim ones).  Nowadays your uncle can record 12 tracks over the Chronic 2001 instrumentals CD and open up a demo of Photoshop and put Dre's face + his face over a white background and upload it to those online sites and they post it up within the hour.  That same bullshit mixtape is being put next to DJ's like Drama, J-Love, Finesse, Crazy Toones, Big Mike, Whoo Kid, etc who have all put in lots of time and effort to put together a real mixtape.  Im not gonna debate whose a real DJ or who just likes to cut and paste with their own screaming in the background but the fact that somebody paid money to get it designed + pressed up means they spent that much more time working on it.

The ball is in your corner, the fans to determine what to do.  You can try your hand online and dig through endless amounts of "mixtapes" with no idea of whats good and whats not or you can go to your local store and pop through the endlessly shrinking pile of DJ's who actually press their own shit up and distribute it.  DJ's aint making money off datpiff or other stream sites, and the ones that do are seeing petty change in comparison to what there was 5 years ago coming from online mixtape vendors with physical product.

Oh and I quit making mixtapes 3 years ago but I've decided even with all the bullshit, its time to come back in a new and harder way so watch out for my next PHYSICAL mixtape coming in the fall.
---- F Sharp
Bumsquad DJz / Dubcnn
www.myspace.com/djfsharp --- DJ F Sharp Mixtape News
"Cali Love Pt.2: New West Order" hosted by Crooked I, Sly Boogy, & Bishop Lamont comin in End of June
"Cali Love Pt.3" hosted by Re-Up Entertainment's own Ras Kass & 40 Glocc comin soon...

D~Nice

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
The purpose of mixtapes is starting to evidently disappear as now since everyone likes to download and sit in their living room all day and visit datpiff.com there is no fucking regulation to the AMOUNT or QUALITY of mixtapes put out.  People just upload to those free sites and consumers (ie: you guys) have 2 options:

1.  Search through the 1,000's of "so called mixtapes" uploaded to free internet sites and stay at home in your own "comfort zone"
2.  Go to the local record store or hip hop shop and take a look through the PHYSICAL pile of mixtapes (alw

You can notice that the serious and real mixtapes are the ones pressed up, with good looking graphics, and some even come in a fucking cd jewel case (not the slim ones).  Nowadays your uncle can record 12 tracks over the Chronic 2001 instrumentals CD and open up a demo of Photoshop and put Dre's face + his face over a white background and upload it to those online sites and they post it up within the hour.  That same bullshit mixtape is being put next to DJ's like Drama, J-Love, Finesse, Crazy Toones, Big Mike, Whoo Kid, etc who have all put in lots of time and effort to put together a real mixtape.  Im not gonna debate whose a real DJ or who just likes to cut and paste with their own screaming in the background but the fact that somebody paid money to get it designed + pressed up means they spent that much more time working on it.

The ball is in your corner, the fans to determine what to do.  You can try your hand online and dig through endless amounts of "mixtapes" with no idea of whats good and whats not or you can go to your local store and pop through the endlessly shrinking pile of DJ's who actually press their own shit up and distribute it.  DJ's aint making money off datpiff or other stream sites, and the ones that do are seeing petty change in comparison to what there was 5 years ago coming from online mixtape vendors with physical product.

Oh and I quit making mixtapes 3 years ago but I've decided even with all the bullshit, its time to come back in a new and harder way so watch out for my next PHYSICAL mixtape coming in the fall.

That is some real talk. I like the way you broke it down like that.

DJ F Sharp

• 'G'
  • I'm a hustla
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »
The efforts of New Media like the Internet have changed way music is leaked now.  Before if you wanted to reach a large amount of people with a record that wasnt gonna get love on radio, your only way to get the record buzzin on the streets was via mixtape DJ's.  Now people hit up Hip Hop blogs and sites like DubCNN or The Smoking Section or SOHH 3x a day so why the fuck give a mixtape DJ an exclusive when you can leak it to all the blogs, more people hear the songs, and bloggers dont trip like djs do like "oh fuck you gave it to him first... :(  Now making a profit on mixtapes is almost out of the question, you either can release your tape for free on the internet immediately or you can see it get bootlegged on there within the week...so you might as well embrace the change.  Im still very in favor of PHYSICAL product because you cant duplicate the anticipation feeling/emotions when you drive to a record store and pick out a new CD and fork over the $5 or $10.  Shit DatPiff is free but how do you regulate the quality of material?

I would say think of it this way.  If some DJ offered to put his name on a project, arrange and MIX it (yes Im talking about real djs), and then to pay $$$ to press it up and then take the fucking time to drive around to stores everywhere and get it in stock...90% of the time that project has to be worth listening to at least 1x if that person has gone to that extent to support the project.  Not many DJ's will go through that hassle of doing that, now you see the real bandwagon mixtape djs, the dudes that just put em out online on 3 sites and call it a day.  No promotion, physical distro, or maintaining contact with the record stores/vendors to see how its doing...just upload and wish for the best.

But hey! 12 tracks with an interlude skit in the middle uploaded with a blank cover offered for free online, yeah thats fantastic!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:55:01 AM by DJ F Sharp »
---- F Sharp
Bumsquad DJz / Dubcnn
www.myspace.com/djfsharp --- DJ F Sharp Mixtape News
"Cali Love Pt.2: New West Order" hosted by Crooked I, Sly Boogy, & Bishop Lamont comin in End of June
"Cali Love Pt.3" hosted by Re-Up Entertainment's own Ras Kass & 40 Glocc comin soon...

StevenMarkAss

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »
i'm probably not the first one to bring this up, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who still wants to know how it works.

anyway, i understand that upcoming artists like Slim the mobster definately could use the help of a DJ like Clue to get his name out there.
but already established artists don't really need that; so the copyright protection, in the form of DJ Tags is not necessary anymore.
the tribute argument is not valid either; otherwise the established artists would only let the DJ introduce their mixtape/streetalbum or put the tags on each song at the beginning and the end.

i recently talked to Chad Vader about this, and we couldn't figure out so if anybody has a clue please contribute  :)

Its called "Promotion".

Spelt P-R-O-M-O-T-I-O-N.

Its to "Promote" 1s music to the public for the record sales 2 be higher.

Hope this clears it up 4 you.

RHustle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »
bump.....

why we bumping something from 4+  months ago?!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »
bump.....

why we bumping something from 4+  months ago?!

why do people breathe?

streetpoetry5

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »
he s not in brazil chad....he s in the phillipines.....thought u knew....

Portugoal

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 07:13:34 AM »
Muthafuckas gotta take a page outta the DJ Crazy Toones book and see how 2 fuckin DJ a song 8)

3 years later... Lunatic approved that Nik Bean raped a Knoc-Turn'al mixtape.