Author Topic: Before Sunrise + Before Sunset (Ethan Hawke)  (Read 136 times)

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
Before Sunrise + Before Sunset (Ethan Hawke)
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
Wow.
Even though Before Sunrise came out in 1995, I hadn't seen the movie until a few months ago. Very impressed by it. It's bascially 95% dialogue, with here & there a few establishing shots of Vienna.
Then I saw the sequel in stores (6 euros!) and this movie is as good as the first one.

Very great concept as well of the director (and Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy, since they co-wrote the script).
I'm really not the type who likes romantic movies, but these movies are on a WHOLE other level. Seriously.

Two thumbs up for these movies.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Before Sunrise + Before Sunset (Ethan Hawke)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:26 AM »
Wow.
Even though Before Sunrise came out in 1995, I hadn't seen the movie until a few months ago. Very impressed by it. It's bascially 95% dialogue, with here & there a few establishing shots of Vienna.
Then I saw the sequel in stores (6 euros!) and this movie is as good as the first one.

Very great concept as well of the director (and Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy, since they co-wrote the script).
I'm really not the type who likes romantic movies, but these movies are on a WHOLE other level. Seriously.

Two thumbs up for these movies.

what the hell man... I been makin threads on this movie for years on this forum, and nobody ever replied.  It's nice to see someone else who loves the movies like I do.   My three favorite movies are Before Sunrise, Jason's Lyric, and then Before Sunset.

I'm curious how you ended up seeing the first movie?  Was it on television?  I remember I happened to catch it on TBS way back in 1998 and I fell in love with it right away.

It's a beautiful movie.  The dialogue is insightful, the sights of Vienna are captivating, and their day is filled with color, everything from the bumb who writes poetry, to the palm reader, to artwork they see, music they listen to, their day and night is colored with magic.

Here's an example of the insightful conversation from the movie, they say stuff like....

"Everyone hates their parents.  Either they feel neglected cause their parents were never around, or their parents stuck around and taught them all the wrong things."  LOL

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
Like I said, I hadn't seen "Before Sunrise" until a few months ago. They played the movie on some Belgian TV channel, I noticed in my TV-guide that the movie had received lots of positive reviews, so I decided to watch it.

It doesn't happen too often anymore that I'm really impressed by a movie, but after having seen Before Sunrise, I was really like, damn! Didn't know such movies were out there...
So, after doing a little research on imdb, I found out they had made a sequel to Before Sunrise, and then I saw Before Sunset in stores for like 6 euros. Cheap as hell 8)

And yeah, the dialogue in these two movies are fascinating. I'll have to watch both movies again, because there are so many quotables int here. And just really thoughtful, insightful lines.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:37:27 AM »
Like I said, I hadn't seen "Before Sunrise" until a few months ago. They played the movie on some Belgian TV channel, I noticed in my TV-guide that the movie had received lots of positive reviews, so I decided to watch it.

It doesn't happen too often anymore that I'm really impressed by a movie, but after having seen Before Sunrise, I was really like, damn! Didn't know such movies were out there...
So, after doing a little research on imdb, I found out they had made a sequel to Before Sunrise, and then I saw Before Sunset in stores for like 6 euros. Cheap as hell 8)

And yeah, the dialogue in these two movies are fascinating. I'll have to watch both movies again, because there are so many quotables int here. And just really thoughtful, insightful lines.

I could go on forever talking about these movies.  I must have watched "Before Sunrise" over 100 times, somedays I just let it repeat over and over while I am doing other things at home.

I actually have been a part of two intense long distance relationships in my life.  So I can really relate to the theme of the movies.  Its about making every moment count.  Its about those moments in our life that live forever and take on a life of their own. 

Comparing the two movies, I would say the dialogue in the second movie is actually MORE intelligent and insightful.  because they have both lived 10 more years and Ethan Hawke both have gone through emotional breakdowns since their previous encounter.

The first movie however, is more "magical".  Both of them have that magic, but in the first one every second of the movie is magic.  While in the second one you can visibly see, that although somewhat masked in maturity, they have been emotionally drained by their years apart.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:55:21 AM »
^^^^True, like you said, the first film has more - how should I put this - 'memorable' scenes. Like the ones you've pointed out already: them walking around in Vienna, the bum, the palm reader, etc...simple, yet very memorable scenes.
Whereas in the second one, it's basically them just walking around. The only other locations are the boatride, Céline's appartment and the coffee shop at the beginning. That's about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that though. It's just worth noticing. The simplicity of these movies make them so good. Seriously, two thumbs up for these movies.

It would be interesting to film a third (and last?) part of this series, with the film showing what happened to them. A release somewhere around 2015 or maybe even later...would be cool.