Author Topic: America's favorite book: poll  (Read 263 times)

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
America's favorite book: poll
« on: April 09, 2008, 05:35:31 AM »

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - When it comes to literary pursuits in the United States most people agree on at least one thing -- the most popular book is The Bible, according to a new survey.
ADVERTISEMENT

It came in first in a Harris Poll of nearly 2,513 adults but the second choice in the survey was not as clear cut.

"While the Bible is number one among each of the different demographic groups, there is a large difference in the number two favorite book," Harris said in a statement announcing the results.

Men chose J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and women selected Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book, according to the online poll.

But the second choice for 18- to 31-year-olds was J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, while 32- to 43-year-olds named Stephen King's "The Stand" and Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons."

Picks for second-favorite book also varied according to region. "Gone With the Wind" was number two in the southern and midwestern United States while easterners chose "The Lord of the Rings" and westerners opted for "The Stand."

Whites and Hispanics picked "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book after the Bible, while African-Americans preferred "Angels and Demons."

"Finally, they may not agree on candidates, but one thing that brings together partisans is their favorite book. For Republicans, Democrats and Independents, the top two books are the same -- the Bible followed by "Gone With the Wind."

Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger rounded out the top 10 favorites.

(Reporting by Julie Mollins; editing by Patricia Reaney

***************************************\/
Darn, it sure feels good to post up in here-The Last couple of hours were tumultuous to say the least! :-\
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
Re: America's favorite book: poll
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:16:01 AM »
thats not really a surprise, the bible is good..

for when you run out of rolling papers, and need to smoke a joint! ;D

actually, out of all those, ive only read the first harry potter book and the lord of the ring books..imma have to check out Stephen King's "The Stand".

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:23:18 AM »
^^Funny!!!
I've never read a Harry Potter Book!
I've read LOTR the first One. haven't read the other two installments, cuz I've seen the moves for the other two books!!

Stephen King's 'The Stand' is good, like most of his Books!

As for The Bible, I read it not as often as I should..but IMo it's a good for My Soul-Albeit i don't do as the book commands at times. ;)

Elevz

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
It's definately good to see Atlas Shrugged is still ranked highly. I remember having read somewhere that it was elected the second most important life changing book in the 20th century, right after the bible. I can't say I disagree either. More people should pick up that one, especially you youngins! ;)

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »
It's definately good to see Atlas Shrugged is still ranked highly. I remember having read somewhere that it was elected the second most important life changing book in the 20th century, right after the bible. I can't say I disagree either. More people should pick up that one, especially you youngins! ;)
Never heard of it Eleven 2 Three..
What's it about??

JAZ

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
What's it about??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

the power of the wiki, my friend. the power of the wiki..

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »
the most popular book is The Bible, according to a new survey.
ADVERTISEMENT

Im not much of a book reader these days.....but I always liked Fiction. So I can see the bible being the most popular.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

JAZ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
the most popular book is The Bible, according to a new survey.
ADVERTISEMENT

Im not much of a book reader these days.....but I always liked Fiction. So I can see the bible being the most popular.
i stopped reading fairytales at 17, so no mo bible fo me. some how i think The life of Pi is the best book to ever grace my eyes.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
eye started to this book my nigga got called Prayers for assassin by robert ferrigano. hey Yo C-WALKER eye think you would like this book bitch nigga......... eye wouldnt mind if shit really turned out like this over here in real life

JAZ

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »
^ that seems dope. must read it soon.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
No doubt Job, that Book does look real Dope!!
An that's just by the cover and the title itself..
Hope it livs up to it's title!

Well folks will differ on the 'the Bible..but i see it more than just a fictional tale..But that's on Me!!

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:50:49 AM »
What's it about??

A man who said he'd stop the motor of the world, and manages to make it come true.
Be warned though, it's a very "complete" and insightful book, but it's 1070 pages deep and written in a tiny font... It's one of the most amazing things you may ever come across though.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 04:43:54 AM »
What's it about??

A man who said he'd stop the motor of the world, and manages to make it come true.
Be warned though, it's a very "complete" and insightful book, but it's 1070 pages deep and written in a tiny font... It's one of the most amazing things you may ever come across though.
Whoa!!..Sounds like a very good Read!!!
thanks alot,will go out and find the said book!!!

Elevz

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:02:45 AM »
$7,99 as a Signet pocket. Not a lot of money, I'd say. It may take some time before you've finished reading it though ;)

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:21:57 AM »
Well i'm gon check ma local Eason store adn see if they got it, if not might have to purhcase it via the Net/Amazon.et al.
props!