Author Topic: Alicia Keys calls 'Gangsta Rap' a ploy, says government killed Tupac and Biggie  (Read 1087 times)

C-BLUE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • evil don't die
R&B star Alicia Keys has issued a statement a formal statement surrounding controversial comments made in the May issue of Blender Magazine, which hit stands today (April 15).

In a recent article, the Grammy Award winning singer told Blender Magazine that “Gangsta rap was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other. ‘Gangsta rap didn‘t exist,’” she explained.

“I feel it is necessary to clarify the comments that were made during my recent Blender magazine interview since they have been misrepresented,” Keys stated. “Anyone who knows me and my character, knows that I am not a conspiracy theorist or, by implication, a racist. My comments about 'gangsta rap' were in no way trying to suggest that the government is responsible for creating this genre of rap music. The point that I was trying to make was that the term was over-sloganized by some of the media causing reactions that were not always positive. Many of the 'gangsta rap' lyrics articulate the problems of the artists' experiences and I think all of us, including our leaders, could be doing more to address these problems including drugs, gang violence, crime, and other related social issues.”

In the article, Keys revealed that she had read several autobiographies by various Black Panther members, including influential founder Huey P. Newton.

She stated that the murders of Tupac Shakur and Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace was fueled "by the government and the media, to stop another great black leader from existing."

The comments made headlines across the world and prompted a number of follow-up articles and commentaries, which labeled Keys a “conspiracy theorist.”

The songstress also admitted to wearing a gold AK-47 pendant around her neck to symbolize her “strength, power and killing ‘em dead.”

“Regarding the AK-47 reference, AK-47 is a nickname given to me by some of my friends in jest, as an acronym for Alicia Keys and a metaphor for wowing people with my music and performances, "killing 'em dead" on stage,” Keys said. “The reference was in no way meant to have a literal, political or negative connotation.”

While Keys admitted that her music may become more politicized in the future, she said the Blender article painted her as much more radical than she actually is.

“The recent implications about me are too radical and too dramatic a departure from whom I have continually demonstrated myself to be,” Keys said. “I work so hard and give so much of myself to bring about positive change to this world, and I only wish those efforts received as much press and attention as the misinterpretations of the Blender article."

haha Ok Alicia still my girl..this is very different.

Allpaul

• Muthafuckin' OG
It sounds like she's the one backpedaling. Her manager/stage mom or whoever probably freaked out at all the controversial shit she said and made her release that statement. I think we all heard what she was saying in that first interview loud and clear...

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
alicia is hotter than that iranian sluts in the pic
i gotta agree wit dat... 8) 8) 8)

midwestryder

Correct me if I am wrong but 2pac had more notoriety than popularity when he was alive. He certainly didn't appear to be unity, it seemed he was instead trapped in the thug life mentality. Therefore what reason was there for their to have been a government plot to kill kim?

As for B.I.G most of his lyrics were drawn from the world of fantasy, he never "lived it" as his mum also admits. He was more about the party and bullshit and again never showed any signs of becoming prominent in politics.

As for Gangsta Rap, I don't believe it was manufactured, it may have served a purpose to promote it but I think it was just part of the evolution of rap.

On this one, I would say her views are unfounded
see you are wrong about 2pac not being about unity. 2pac was stilling going around breaching about black unity to different groups . there was talk was about 2pac going in to politics &  running for president. so the goverment had alot reason to kil the son of a black Panther. 2pac was future black leader & goverment was scared of him . Go listen to 2pacs first 2 albums . it will show why the government was scared of 2pac & they were.

Crooked I

gud koskesh  8)

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!

gud koskesh  8)
haha...good kalleh kiri... 8) 8) 8)

Crooked I

r u ali from raptalk.net ?

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
naw...never heard of that site...

Money

id fuck her till detox drops. 
what happens if you or her dies before then?

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
^^^awww man, i love how these clowns stay jumpin on my dick

K-9

I STILL WANT TO C HER PLAY THAT PIANO NAKED!!! YO NIMA U THINK U COULD HOOK THAT UP LIKE FOR A VIDEO INTERVIEW!!!
Lols

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..

Correct me if I am wrong but 2pac had more notoriety than popularity when he was alive. He certainly didn't appear to be unity, it seemed he was instead trapped in the thug life mentality. Therefore what reason was there for their to have been a government plot to kill kim?

As for B.I.G most of his lyrics were drawn from the world of fantasy, he never "lived it" as his mum also admits. He was more about the party and bullshit and again never showed any signs of becoming prominent in politics.

As for Gangsta Rap, I don't believe it was manufactured, it may have served a purpose to promote it but I think it was just part of the evolution of rap.

On this one, I would say her views are unfounded

well said...the government would never ever even think about killin someone like 2pac. this idiot is runnin around screamin MOB and sayin fucc bad boy n mobb deep and jay z all day. and he didnt just diss them. he dissed alot of niggas. 2pac pretty much took care of himself. i dont know what alicia is smokin but Baby Lane killed Pac. and personally i think its fucced up when everybody is blamin the government cuz if u in the streets u aint seein no white gov people doin drive bys...its niggas killin niggas. all day. niggas better look in the fuccin mirror and wake the fucc up.

Ocassionly 2Pac would have political type speeches so i wouldn't call it 100% bullshit, maybe 98%

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.