Author Topic: Hey Sikotic  (Read 246 times)

Money

Hey Sikotic
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Top 5 Reasons to Dislike Pre-Med Students
By Aaron Rowe April 19, 2008 | 9:21:09 AMCategories: Education, Humor, Lab Life, Sarcasm, Satire   

For students who hope to study medicine, the college years are little more than a time to earn top grades by whatever means necessary. Their mercenary tactics can be tremendously annoying, but that irritating behavior is not entirely their fault.

Pre-med students may be victims of a broken system. Medical school admissions should be competitive, but the standards have become so stringent that scholars must nearly abandon their individuality to ceaselessly study.

Perhaps, instead of separating the brightest students from the rest, pre-med programs weed out all but the few who are willing to give everything up -- hobbies, athletics, even their curiosity -- for the sake of a high-paying job as a body mechanic.

These are sweeping generalizations that are intended to provoke a heated debate, so try not to get too offended.

5. They haggle with their teachers for extra points.
As a teaching assistant, I would have been rich if my pre-med students gave me a dime every time they nagged me for partial credit on questions that they had gotten completely wrong.
4. They use questionable tactics to get good grades.
Some of them may turn to study drugs like adderall, dexedrine, provigil, and ritalin. Others will beg upperclassmen for copies of old exams, which give them an unfair advantage over their classmates.
3. They horde leadership positions and then run organizations into the ground.
To pad their résumés, they run for the presidency of science clubs and volunteer organizations, and then fail to fulfill their responsibilities because they are too busy studying.
2. They game the system to get good grades.
By strategically dropping any class that is not going well and carefully picking courses taught by the easiest professors they ensure themselves a good grade point average.
1. They are not motivated by curiosity.
If they ask a question in class, it's often to find out what will be on an upcoming exam. Some of them volunteer to work in a lab on real research projects, but they don't give it their all because they have no passion for scientific inquiry -- it's just another line on their résumés.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/top-5-reasons-t.html

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
Re: Hey Sikotic
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:01 PM »
that shit is crazy, my uncle is a doctor and he is ashame of what medecine is becoming, with more than 80% of the students being females. My bro is studying ingienery he's on the ritalin 24-7 his head is all fucked up, I'm glad a did made the right choice being an electrician and making more money under the table than they can dream of  8)

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »
^^^ ur trippin, doctors make GWOP!!!

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:22:33 PM »
I'm guilty of 4 of the 5 reasons, I gotta admit. I haggle teachers, get copies of old exams, horde leadership positions (that speech I was talking about was to be VP of my universities pre-med student association), and I game the system. I do have a general interest in the medical field and helping people though.

The system is trying to stick me so I'm gonna stick it back. Most young doctors I speak to have done the same, and they are great at what the do and help lots of people.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
^^^ ur trippin, doctors make GWOP!!!

in usa, in other countrys the make like 500 000$ a year, then the gov come take like 70% of it cuz they got no choice but to declare it all. I can create number compagnies and past all my costs in it. My boss just bought 4 full equiped dodge ram for his business it costs him nothing

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
Doctors suck ass.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
nah, but they put their fingers in it

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
Doctors suck ass.
Nah. The US medical system is another story though.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Doggystylin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 01:32:49 AM »
Why's it feel like every week there's gotta be a thread with either the names of Sikotic, Doggy, NIK, and of course that attention whore KAIN in the subject.

JAZ

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:33:17 AM »
Why's it feel like every week there's gotta be a thread with either the names of Sikotic, Doggy, NIK, and of course that attention whore KAIN in the subject.
lol. its actually kinda true.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:43 AM »
valid point, add Job to that....but this here thread is a bit of an exception since there's a point in addressing Sik and that point is not on some attention-whoring/beefing shit

Floydness

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:17 AM »
Sikotic, you're a med student?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
Doctors suck ass.
Nah. The US medical system is another story though.

it's a combination of both...there are good doctors out there. it's just rare.