Author Topic: Favourite Year In West Coast Rap Music?  (Read 921 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Favourite Year In West Coast Rap Music?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »
hiphop in general peaked in like 92-94, those were dope years for west coast as well

you had snoops best shit, some of cubes best shit, dre's best shit, some dope 2pac stuff, then a load of dope underground stuff like pharcyde, souls of mischief

probably have to go with 93 because of Doggystyle

by 96 shit was getting mad disappointing - snoop had fallen off, 2pac had gone completely thugged out, dre has fallen off for a second there and hiphop in general was just sliding down from it's peak

i can see why you were very disappointed, but was it really THAT bad to you?  :P ;)

Yeah, when Doggfather dropped I was SO disappointed. It's like Snoop had only got Doggystyle out, so I was expecting another Doggystyle (not realizing that Dre was really the mastermind behind that, so there was no way I was getting another Doggystyle). And Snoop had also dropped nothing but dope verses on everyone else's shit AND there was a rumor out at the time that he had got a full orchestra in for the beats, so I was thinking, holy fuck, so like Doggystyle but with mafioso strings all the way through - DOPENESS!!! And then I got the album and of course now it doesn't seem that bad... but at the time the rhyming seemed bored, the beats were so-so, there was way too much filler, etc - it was horrible listening to that for the first time, I thought they mustn't have given him enough time to finish the album or some shit, but my expectations were so high - basically Doggystyle 2 with an orchestra was what I was expecting

Same thing with the Dre album really, he had a few dope tracks on Aftermath presents, but not up to his usually standards and with looooads of filler. Luckily he fixed the problem by firing everyone and starting again lol

i understand  ;)

but how is the aftermath compilation not up to his usual standards?
i can understand that you were expecting something different back then ( from that point i probably would have had a similar reaction) but if you look back at it now ( not sure if that's what you meant with "same thing with the Dre album") you probably agree with me that you used to have the wrong impression of what the aftermath compilation was going to be like.

so i also disagree with the statement about the staff; some of the people that were part of the "first" aftermath producers team were already working with Dre back at death row.

the aftermath compilation is far from being a personal favorite to me, but that's another story.

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 11:20:47 AM »
1992!

-The Chronic
-The Predator
-Spice-1
-Way 2 Fonky
-Shorty the Pimp
-Guerillas in the Mist
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »

i understand  ;)

i can understand that you were expecting something different back then ( from that point i probably would have had a similar reaction) but if you look back at it now ( not sure if that's what you meant with "same thing with the Dre album") you probably agree with me that you used to have the wrong impression of what the aftermath compilation was going to be like.

so i also disagree with the statement about the staff; some of the people that were part of the "first" aftermath producers team were already working with Dre back at death row.

the aftermath compilation is far from being a personal favorite to me, but that's another story.

Well yeah, it just had Dre's name on it, so everyone was expecting that next hot shit, but it's not a Dre album - but still the beats weren't all that compared to like California Love or anything before that. Like everything Dre had been involved in up to that point was pure illness, so when that came out it was like uh oh, has he lost his touch, it's not bad but it's not what we're used to

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
well the early 90's would be the obvious choice...but i also liked 2006...when the doctors advocate and the blue carpet treatment came out on the same day...and both albums were slammin...2 of the best albums out that year...next 2 king,release therapy,Hip Hop Is Dead, and The Inspiration...imo
06 sucked. It was all about the Hyphy shit and it fell to peaces.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »

i understand  ;)

Well yeah, it just had Dre's name on it, so everyone was expecting that next hot shit, but it's not a Dre album - but still the beats weren't all that compared to like California Love or anything before that. Like everything Dre had been involved in up to that point was pure illness, so when that came out it was like uh oh, has he lost his touch, it's not bad but it's not what we're used to

i understand, but was just your first reaction right?

i just don't like all that talk of the magazines/critics of how he fell off and shit  :laugh: :P
that's just a bullshit conclusion  ;)

i mean, i wouldn't say that his best work was on that compilation and Dre definately made a lot of dope stuff back when he was with Death Row, but not everything he made during that period was great IMO.

but unlike those critics/magazines, i'm not coming with a bullshit conclusion  ;)

Okka

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
1999 was really a great year for West Coast rap music. Dr. Dre released one of the best albums ever, Snoop  released another classic album, Kurupt released a classic (his best album), N.W.A. released "Chin Check", they could've came up with more great music. Shit like this won't happen ever again.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »
1999 was really a great year for West Coast rap music. Dr. Dre released one of the best albums ever, Snoop  released another classic album, Kurupt released a classic (his best album), N.W.A. released "Chin Check", they could've came up with more great music. Shit like this won't happen ever again.

2 of my favorite albums of all time Streetz and 2001 8)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »
Rap had a couple of good years throughout the 90's, but overall 1996 was the best year in rap ever.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
was chin check ever released
thats one of my favorite westcoast traccs period
bangin, bangin tracc
I fucks wit that cube right there
ren,dre, damn even snoop

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 05:29:01 PM »
was chin check ever released
thats one of my favorite westcoast traccs period
bangin, bangin tracc
I fucks wit that cube right there
ren,dre, damn even snoop

Chin Check was on the Next Friday Soundtrack

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »

i understand  ;)

so you're saying that even your least favorite Dre productions from the death row era are better to you, than Dre's productions on the aftermath compilation?

S.J

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »
95 or 96
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
UCC?

i understand  ;)

so you're saying that even your least favorite Dre productions from the death row era are better to you, than Dre's productions on the aftermath compilation?

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »
3 years for me are my favorite

94, 96, 98
It's funky enough!

BIGWORM

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

~Spice-1/Spice-1
~E-40~Federal
~Dr.Dre~The Chronic
~Ice Cube~The Predator
~Eazy-E~5150 home for the sick
~M.C. Ren~Kizz My Black Azz
~Above The Law~Black Mafia Life
~Comptons Most Wanted Music To Driveby
~D.J.QUIK~Way 2 Fonky
~Too $hort~Shorty The Pimp
~Paid The Cost~Penthouse Players Click