Author Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread  (Read 216 times)

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »
darkside and wish you were here  :o  :o  :o

the aussie pink floyd tribute band are summit else....if u can see these dudes go!

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
^ I like Atom Heart Mother, but you really have to be in the mood for that, the two main tracks are almost pure avantgardism.

Personally, I think The Wall is dramatically overrated, IMO that's when they really began to fall off...first Waters going megalomaniac and then Wanters leaving the band. Final Cut really wasn't all that and the Gilmour-era albums, I dunno...Divison Bell is nothing special and I still haven't listened to the entire Momentary Lapse of Reason yet. But Pink Floyd 1967-1977 are unfuckwithable

By the way, if you haven't, check out Syd Barrett's solo albums

Yes, I own both Barrett albums.  Madcap Laughter is Syd in his rawest form IMO, while the 2nd album Barrett is a more polished record, at least production wise anyway.  But both albums are a must have for any Floyd head.  Syd was such an eccentric individual and it showed in both of his solo albums.

As for Atom Heart Mother, it feels somewhat like a mash-up of Ummagumma and Meddle, but less refined since it didn't really follow a particular concept.  But for me personally, I can spin that album pretty much anytime I'm in the mood for Floyd music. 

I used to think like you about the Gilmour-era Floyd albums, but have recently revisited them on and off for the past couple of years and see them differently than I used to, and for the better.  If you haven't sat back and listened to any of them Gilmour-era albums as of late, maybe you should make another attempt, because I've found that those albums grew on me over time, especially if you've only listened to those albums sparingly or not at all.  I think it's a personal growth thing with them albums, but maybe that's just me?