Author Topic: Euro 2008 Quarter Finals Thread  (Read 4073 times)

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
Re: Euro 2008 Quarter Finals Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
You got yourself a new lesson to learn: never celebrate too much a win unless it's the one of the Final.

true dat.
I like to quote myself now:

Smegma: If not us, it will be Germany, but i'm not too worried about them after that Croatia game - i think will edge them out.

You're forgetting one thing: Germans tend to become stronger during major tournaments game after game.

yeah and other teams who were fantastic in the first round but were suddenly out when the important games came (like Argentinia in 06)  and that's the danger for Holland
In one game everything is possible, so don't rely too much on these first games.

2 teams (if you count Croatia in 3) who looked good in the first ound already out (Holland, Portugal). Spain will be next.
But I can't understand Holland's performance today, that was nothing. They were really lucky to get a second chance but still messed up. They were sleepin the whole game, Russia clearly deserved the win, way more aggressive. but no dream final :(

'EclipZe

« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
great game by the russians, they deserved to win it !

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
Spain to flop against Italy and a Germany - Italy final.

Every tournament is the same, always Portugal/Netherlands/Spain year. Maybe next time.

*Spain will probably win the whole thing now*

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »
Italy over Spain. 1-0. Boring match with Italy out-smarting Spain. I'm calling it.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

'EclipZe

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
naww spain will win it 2 - 1

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
Damn, Russia was great, Holland dissapointed (again when it comes to the final stages).

Agree with the above, 1:0 for Italy tomorrow.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »
Italy over Spain. 1-0. Boring match with Italy out-smarting Spain. I'm calling it.
I see that one coming too lol...and I won't even be crazy about an Italian victory cause I really love Spain. If Italy takes it, then ALL teams that came in first in group stages will have ended up losing their quarter final games.

As for today's match, I told y'all, don't underestimate the Russians. I never believed those people predicting something like 4-0 Holland, still I thought the Dutch would take it. This time. But that was a very uninspired performance, they were lucky they got another shot (1-1) and then they fucked it up badly. I was cheering for Holland in this match, but when it was over, I really couldn't be mad, those Russians just showed they're one of the most talented teams in this tournament, they played great offensive football and got a well-deserved victory. And it's not like Greece last time, somehow kicking out favored teams by boring you to death, it was just great to watch. So it's sad to see Holland out (you guys had the greatest fans by the way, I was in Berne the other day and it was one huge party), but I'm gonna be supporting those Russians of whom I had no opinion at all before

Lunatic

« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
WOW at holland LMAO
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Elano

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »
WHY DONT YOU WRITE IN ORANGE ?  :D[/b]

Elevz

« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
Failure. Total failure. I guess I should be lucky I was at a garden party where I hardly got to see any of it.

You know there's going to be shit, when a Hiddink-team suddenly starts performing well, as they did against Sweden. Add to that an opponent which peaked way too fucking early (I mean come on, after humiliating Italy and France, anything would have been a disappointment except for a 6-0 win). We had reason to be afraid, oh so afraid. You can't keep up a spirit like that for six matches straight. I was afraid of the impact of the whole Boulahrouz-situation (his daughter was born four months early and died this week). Afraid of having peaked too early. Afraid of anything Hiddink might have done. He did it.

I guess from this day on, there'll be a negative connotation whenever I mention my last name. I thought it would be perfectly okay, because there was no way to lose in a match where either side would be a great winner, but The Netherlands ended up a total failure, while they were practically obliged to score a total of 18 goals this tournament and take home that trophy. Some things will never change. I should get my name changed to something irrelevant, unless Hiddink manages to make it to the final and win.

Anyway, Russia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Netherlands. So be it. Let's see what happens next. I can see the same thing happening to Spain, but please, please, if they're going to let Italy grow back into the tournament, at least make it good.

Elano

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2008, 04:09:19 AM »
lmao@ lunatic and his predictions about holland and portugal  :D

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2008, 04:37:28 AM »
was disappointed to see Holland go out, but full credit to Russia.. they proved why they were right to finish above us in the qualifiying..

So tonight Italy/Spain... my support is fully with the Spanish, as ive still got money riding on them too lift the euro.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »
Failure. Total failure. I guess I should be lucky I was at a garden party where I hardly got to see any of it.

You know there's going to be shit, when a Hiddink-team suddenly starts performing well, as they did against Sweden. Add to that an opponent which peaked way too fucking early (I mean come on, after humiliating Italy and France, anything would have been a disappointment except for a 6-0 win). We had reason to be afraid, oh so afraid. You can't keep up a spirit like that for six matches straight. I was afraid of the impact of the whole Boulahrouz-situation (his daughter was born four months early and died this week). Afraid of having peaked too early. Afraid of anything Hiddink might have done. He did it.

I guess from this day on, there'll be a negative connotation whenever I mention my last name. I thought it would be perfectly okay, because there was no way to lose in a match where either side would be a great winner, but The Netherlands ended up a total failure, while they were practically obliged to score a total of 18 goals this tournament and take home that trophy. Some things will never change. I should get my name changed to something irrelevant, unless Hiddink manages to make it to the final and win.

Anyway, Russia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Netherlands. So be it. Let's see what happens next. I can see the same thing happening to Spain, but please, please, if they're going to let Italy grow back into the tournament, at least make it good.
It was really sad to watch Holland go down the way the do almost every time, after telling yourself "not this time. This time they're too good", and this is really part of the reason I see Italy winning tonight. I might be wrong, and I got reason to cheer for both teams, so may the better team win, only I don't think the better team will necessarily be Spain. Spain's got that Holland vibe, and failure looks inevitable until the very moment they hold that trophy in their hands. It wasn't even like you could complain about that result (no offense), you just lost to a team that played better. The only part of the game when Holland was really equal was when they were 0-1 behind and even then both teams were on a par, no great Dutch offensive play, no creativity, no quick passing, just a rather lucky goal that wouldn't be enough in the end. It was one of the most disappointing matches in this tournament for me because of that Dutch team, although at the same time, I've become very impressed with the Russians and, once more, Hiddink.

...and that's your last name, by the way? lol, that sucks. But from what I know about the Dutch, I guess the press is (reasonably) bashing Van Basten rather than Hiddink, right?

smegma

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »
You got yourself a new lesson to learn: never celebrate too much a win unless it's the one of the Final.

Hey, we don't need a big cup to celebrate and to have a great time! ;D

'EclipZe

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2008, 05:40:53 AM »

Hey, we don't need a big cup to celebrate and to have a great time! ;D

true that, you can say what you want but the dutch got the best supporters of the world. we turn everything orange, even the swizz.