Author Topic: G-Unit Records may be forced to close shop....  (Read 255 times)

Elano

G-Unit Records may be forced to close shop....
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:13:13 AM »
It’s the Wednesday after the new G-Unit album came out, and the only news stories you can find re: Fiddy Cent anywhere are the ones where he’s sad he can’t bring his son out on tour with him, as if that could be a good idea.

You’d think the fact that Terminate on Sight supposedly somehow managed to sell less than 100,000 copies its first week out would be the key news item, especially coming on the heels of Lil Wayne selling 1 million copies of Tha Carter III its first week out. Hmm…

If it’s big enough news that we have to sit here and listen ad nauseum when an album does unexpectedly well, how is it not also news when an album does unexpectedly poorly? Could it be that the corporations that put these albums out in the first place control the news cycle?

As it is, I had to turn to the esteemed media organization that it Media Take Out to find any information re: Fiddy catching a brick. They’re claiming to have spoken to someone on the inside over at G-Unit, and I’m assuming they’re not just making this up.

Supposedly, the album did so bad, they’re worried about the future of the label.

To wit:

MediaTakeOut.com just got word that it’s official - the G-Unit album Terminate On Sight underperformed. The new album debuted on the chart selling fewer than 100,000 units (approximately 96,000).

And according to our G-Unit insider, everyone over at 50’s label is shocked. The insider told MediaTakeOut.com, “Some people are disappointed, some people are mad [at Interscope], some people are frustrated …. We’re going to have to evaluate whether it even makes sense to have G-Unit anymore..”

Hopefully, there’s an incident like last year (or was it a couple of years ago?), when Fiddy pulled a flat screen TV down from the wall and threw it at someone, because he was upset one of his records leaked.

I know there’s rumors going around that Busta Rhymes got dropped from Interscope like a bad habit, because he had the sheer balls to put his shoe on a tall Isreali. So we know that kind of thing has been in the air in the steroid community as of late.

But I digress. Even if G-Unit Records isn’t given the Busta Rhymes treatement (official statement or not, I wouldn’t be holding my breath for Blessed), I’m assuming some changes are gonna have to be made. Like the child support agreement in which his baby’s mother was receiving 25 grand a month, Fiddy’s vanity label is a relic of a time when people still gave a shit about Fiddy Cent, and obviously that’s no longer the case.

At the very least, I wouldn’t be surprised if a few people ended up losing their jobs over this. That’s probably why people are giving statements to Media Take Out, trying to make it seem as if this shit is Interscope’s fault. With the G-Unit album not being able to crack 100,000 units sold its first week out, they’re just not gonna be able to justify all of those additional salaries. That would be like Styles P having his own vanity imprint.

At Koch Records maybe, but not at motherfucking Interscope.

Granted this was a G-Unit album and not a proper Fiddy Cent album, and it probably sucks balls. But Tha Carter III still sold more than 10 times as much its first week out, and it was… you know, a motherfucking Lil Wayne album. It would be difficult for me to believe that any of those people actually considered copping Terminate on Sight, but then chose not to, because they were afraid the emceeing wouldn’t be up to their ususal high standards.

And this latest development does seem to follow a trend of Fiddy Cent’s album sales tapering off going all the way back to his second album, The Massacre. It sold well, but it never did sell quite as well as its predecessor, despite all kinds of bullshit promotions and rereleases. As the saying goes, it was pretty much issued to you, if you lived in the suburbs. Then Curtis came out, and it did even worse, losing its first week sales battle with Kanye West’s Graduation and then stalling out at just above a million albums sold.

Terminate on Sight, meanwhile, probably won’t even reach that plateau. I shudder to think what’s gonna happen when the next proper Fiddy Cent album is released. Could it be that Lil Wayne really did Ja Rule Fiddy Cent, having hardly so much as dissed him on a record. Since I’m borrowing Jackpot’s theory, I’m gonna go ahead and borrow his catchphrase. Speak on it!

(xxl online)

Black Gloves

Re: G-Unit Records may be forced to close shop....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 06:04:21 AM »
lol @ mediatakeout