Author Topic: Tyronn Lue to sign with the Phoenix Suns.  (Read 309 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Tyronn Lue to sign with the Phoenix Suns.
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »
Lue believes he will sign with Suns

by Paul Coro - Jul. 9, 2008 10:51 PM
The Arizona Republic

Disarmed of money to offer and without much of a 2008 playoff pedigree, the Suns appear to still have recruiting wherewithal with free-agency target Tyronn Lue, who said he expects to sign with the Suns.

"I think we're going to get it done in Phoenix," Lue said Wednesday.

Signing Lue, 31, would fill the Suns' free-agency priority. Suns General Manager Steve Kerr has said he wanted a veteran point guard to back up Steve Nash and start about 12 games to rest Nash, 34.

Lue played his first three NBA years with the Lakers, including the 2000 and 2001 NBA champions which were led by current Suns center Shaquille O'Neal.

He also was a part-time starter for Washington, Orlando, Houston and Atlanta before going to Sacramento in the Mike Bibby in February.

Lue did not play for the Kings before they waived him. The Suns pursued Lue then, but he said last week that he chose Dallas in March because he had feared that then-Suns coach Mike D'Antoni would use only seven players.

Once Dallas re-signed Jose Barea this week, Lue's preferences were down to the Suns and Boston Celtics.

Lue, who is 6 feet and 175 pounds, has averaged 8.9 points and 3.3 assists per game (to 1.25 turnovers) in his career, with a 39 percent 3-point clip. He is not known as a creator, but he runs a stable point, is quick and defends well.

The Suns plan to use Leandro Barbosa exclusively as a shooting guard, leaving D.J. Strawberry's combo-guard game as the other option at point unless second-round pick Goran Dragic is let out of his Tau Ceramica contract.

Because of its luxury-tax forecast, the Suns planned to only offer a one-year minimum contract to free agents. As a 10-year pro, Lue would make $1.26 million on a one-year deal, but only about $800,000 of that would count on the Suns' payroll for salary-cap and luxury-tax purposes. A league fund offsets the remainder on one-year contracts.

Until this year, Lue had not been on a playoff team since 2001. He picked Dallas over Phoenix in March, prompting O'Neal to ask Lue, "How are you going to say no to me?"

Lue's role vanished in the playoffs. He played two postseason minutes with Dallas, which played Jason Kidd and Jason Terry at the point.

Lue might not want to say no to O'Neal twice.

"He took me under his wing and did a lot for me, and financially, too," Lue said last week of O'Neal. "He always kept me confident, and that was big for me. He gave me the confidence to play my game."

Lue also said last week, "I feel really good about the Suns. I want to go to a winning team and a good organization. They have both those things."

The Suns' medical staff examined forward Darius Miles, a long shot to be signed, on Wednesday. Miles missed the past two seasons because of a right-knee injury. According to the Oregonian, Miles has a 10-game suspension pending for an anti-drug program violation.

Pretty good for the vets min.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:38:03 AM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Tyronn Lue to sign with the Phoenix Suns.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:40:51 AM »
Looks like the Suns aren't his only option anymore... Maybe still his top option, but he's claiming it's between Miami, Phoenix, and Boston.

Tyronn Lue departs without Miami Heat offer

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
2:52 PM EDT, July 14, 2008

MIAMI - The courtship of Tyronn Lue proved fleeting for the Heat, with the free-agent point guard bypassing a scheduled physical with the team.

Lue, who had been scheduled for the 5:30 a.m. physical today to answer questions about a calf problem that limited him last season, backed out of the plans shortly after attending the Zo's Summer Groove charity game Sunday.

Heat General Manager Randy Pfund said the Heat had no plans to issue an offer to Lue, 31, and indicated the team would wait until later in the offseason to possibly utilize its $1.9 million lower-level exception, its lone remaining salary-cap chip.

"We're kind of in a wait mode," Pfund said.

At today's formal introduction of free-agent forward James Jones, whose signing ate up most of the team's offseason salary-cap exception space, Pfund said the Heat now would "watch what happens here for a little while" before making another personnel move.

Lue said Sunday he had narrowed his free-agent choice to the Heat, Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns. At the time, Lue said the decision would be difficult because of his friendship with Boston's Kevin Garnett and Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal, his former Los Angeles Lakers championship teammate.

Lue had previously been seen as leaning toward the Suns.

The 6-foot guard split last season between the Hawks, Kings and Mavericks, although the calf injury kept him from suiting up for Sacramento. The 10-year veteran has also played for the Wizards, Magic and Rockets.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
 ::)

The Best of 3 Worlds

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
lol tyrone lou..........eye remember when iverson crossed that nigga up, wet the shot then walked over top of him.............lol

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »
LOL@Bucks ...looks like he failed at landing a spot on his three most desired teams.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 04:59:49 AM »
lol tyrone lou..........eye remember when iverson crossed that nigga up, wet the shot then walked over top of him.............lol

Actually Tyrone Lou defended great against AI.
He was one of the main reasons we won the Finals, that year.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
Tyronn Lue has more rings than Iverson, batch.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Citizen-Y

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »

I don't know how Lue didn't foul out every time he was out there. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

I don't know how Lue didn't foul out every time he was out there. 

:laugh:
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
damn i 4got that this nigga was still playing