Author Topic: Lakers interested in Luol Deng?  (Read 148 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Lakers interested in Luol Deng?
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
Morning Report: The Luol Deng Story

By:  Steve Kyler     Last Updated: 7/22/08 10:03 AM ET | 6521 times read

Reports yesterday suggested that Chicago Bulls' forward Luol Deng and his agent were ready to issue an "ultimatum" to the Bulls, basically saying if Luol did not have a deal done by September 1st, that he would back away from negotiations and not negotiate again with the Bulls. The reports suggested if Luol did not get a deal he's comfortable with, he'd sign the Bulls' $4.4 million qualifying offer sheet and become an unrestricted free agent next year and walk. After spending the bulk of the day on the phone talking with Bulls and league sources and a couple of agents, there is some truth to this stance. Let's not call it an ultimatum - the parameters of the negotiations have been established. That's how the agents frame it. The Bulls have had several discussions with both Luol Deng and Ben Gordon and are basically offering both players the same kinds of packages they offered last year. In Luol's case, $57 million is not enough for a number of reasons. First, other teams are offering sign-and-trade packages that Chicago seems lukewarm on exploring. Those sign-and-trade packages could get Luol in the $13 to $14 million a year range, which is substantially more than Chicago's offer - roughly $9 million per year. Some teams are telling the agents of the restricted class to take the qualifying offer this year and get radically paid next year as unrestricted free agents; this includes Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. League sources suggested that the Lakers, Pistons, Heat and Jazz have all had discussions with Luol Deng's camp about the framework of a sign-and-trade. Luol's camp would not comment on the situation, stating they did not want to negotiate in the media, but did confirm that talks were on going and that Luol, after the first round of talks, wants to remain "loyal" to the Bulls. One veteran agent not involved in talks with the Bulls explained that there are limited things a player can control in this process; one of them is choosing when to talk. The belief in both Ben Gordon and Luol Deng's case is the Bulls have had two years of talks to get to a deal, and if at this point they are not ready to make the kind of investment both players are seeking, then it's not going to happen for them. The question remains will the Bulls get serious in contract talks, or will they look to cash Luol out in a sign-and-trade and get an asset for him? It will be interesting to see who blinks first in this high stakes game of chicken, and it seems Luol's camp is ready to move on if Chicago does not get serious about Lou. The question really is can the Bulls afford to lose a player of Luol Deng's caliber next year without compensation?

Interesting. Would be nice...I wouldn't give up Odom, though.

D~Nice

Re: Lakers interested in Luol Deng?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »
Man John Paxson is fucking up.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:23 PM »
lol@laker-fans who are dreaming about a walton - deng swap now
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:33:11 PM »
deng is underrated. hes mad good, would lock up a lakers return to the finals, IMO (depending on who they gave up...).

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
If we (the Bulls) end up getting Luke Walton, I wouldn't care if we got Kobe or whoever with him, I'd just look @ Paxson in utter disgust for excepting Walton, period. I can't stand that entire family lol.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:26 PM »

Reports yesterday suggested that Chicago Bulls' forward Luol Deng and his agent were ready to issue an "ultimatum" to the Bulls, basically saying if Luol did not have a deal done by September 1st, that he would back away from negotiations and not negotiate again with the Bulls. The reports suggested if Luol did not get a deal he's comfortable with, he'd sign the Bulls' $4.4 million qualifying offer sheet and become an unrestricted free agent next year and walk. After spending the bulk of the day on the phone talking with Bulls and league sources and a couple of agents, there is some truth to this stance. Let's not call it an ultimatum - the parameters of the negotiations have been established. That's how the agents frame it. The Bulls have had several discussions with both Luol Deng and Ben Gordon and are basically offering both players the same kinds of packages they offered last year. In Luol's case, $57 million is not enough for a number of reasons. First, other teams are offering sign-and-trade packages that Chicago seems lukewarm on exploring. Those sign-and-trade packages could get Luol in the $13 to $14 million a year range, which is substantially more than Chicago's offer - roughly $9 million per year. Some teams are telling the agents of the restricted class to take the qualifying offer this year and get radically paid next year as unrestricted free agents; this includes Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. League sources suggested that the Lakers, Pistons, Heat and Jazz have all had discussions with Luol Deng's camp about the framework of a sign-and-trade. Luol's camp would not comment on the situation, stating they did not want to negotiate in the media, but did confirm that talks were on going and that Luol, after the first round of talks, wants to remain "loyal" to the Bulls. One veteran agent not involved in talks with the Bulls explained that there are limited things a player can control in this process; one of them is choosing when to talk. The belief in both Ben Gordon and Luol Deng's case is the Bulls have had two years of talks to get to a deal, and if at this point they are not ready to make the kind of investment both players are seeking, then it's not going to happen for them. The question remains will the Bulls get serious in contract talks, or will they look to cash Luol out in a sign-and-trade and get an asset for him? It will be interesting to see who blinks first in this high stakes game of chicken, and it seems Luol's camp is ready to move on if Chicago does not get serious about Lou. The question really is can the Bulls afford to lose a player of Luol Deng's caliber next year without compensation?

Who would you trade Odom for?  And Sasha while we're at it.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »
Well he did say he'd take Sasha over Posey. So for Odom? Nik would probably turn down Lebron for Odom.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
Nik would probably turn down Lebron for Odom.

who wouldnt? :P

but on the real Deng>Odom on a daily basis. but Deng at his best<Odom at his best.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 02:11:51 AM »
would be a nice pick up but i don't want to get rid of odom for him.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:36:23 AM »
Odom>Deng
But IF they could get him another way...wow!  :o

The Best of 3 Worlds

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
Well he did say he'd take Sasha over Posey. So for Odom? Nik would probably turn down Lebron for Odom.

You're an idiot.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:52 AM »

Who would you trade Odom for?  And Sasha while we're at it.

If we trade Odom, it better be for a superstar, and that's not gunna happen.. so I'm against trading Odom. Odom's value to the Lakers is just that high...Sasha is very tradeable, though.

SO PRUP

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »

Who would you trade Odom for? 

i was just about to ask the same thing