Poll

Pick 1, bitchel.

Batman (1989)
9 (15%)
Batman: The Dark Night (2008)
51 (85%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Batman (1989) vs Batman: The Dark Night (2008)  (Read 1506 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Batman (1989) vs Batman: The Dark Night (2008)
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »

Bale was way better as Batman, I actually think Keaton was a better Bruce Wayne. Keaton had Wayne's more personal side, Bale never let Wayne show his personal side. Keaton as Wayne way great because he owned Wayne's personal demons, and he allowed himself to have Wayne show his darkside, were as Bale was just the cocky jerk Wayne, Bale had tons more swag but didn't let you seen Wayne as who he is. As for Batman, visually, Bale had a way better Batman, he also had like 40 pounds on Keaton. This allowed for a more believable Batman, and Bale allowed for Batman to enter that grey area that Batman always does, that makes you think his crossing the edge were as Keaton's Batman didn't seem to be someone that will take it all the way to the edge.

I thought Bale did show his more personal side in both Begins and TDK, specifically whenever he would talk to Alfred. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

Bale was way better as Batman, I actually think Keaton was a better Bruce Wayne. Keaton had Wayne's more personal side, Bale never let Wayne show his personal side. Keaton as Wayne way great because he owned Wayne's personal demons, and he allowed himself to have Wayne show his darkside, were as Bale was just the cocky jerk Wayne, Bale had tons more swag but didn't let you seen Wayne as who he is. As for Batman, visually, Bale had a way better Batman, he also had like 40 pounds on Keaton. This allowed for a more believable Batman, and Bale allowed for Batman to enter that grey area that Batman always does, that makes you think his crossing the edge were as Keaton's Batman didn't seem to be someone that will take it all the way to the edge.

I thought Bale did show his more personal side in both Begins and TDK, specifically whenever he would talk to Alfred. 

Not at the level of Keaton, who would show a side that could be hurt, where as Bale showed off Wayne as some who was personal to Alfred, but not to Rachael, not to anyone else. Keaton showed a crazy side in his exchange with Joker in Vicki Vale. Bale seemed more reserved as Wayne, but Keaton seemed way more at ease playing the role. I said it many times in my life, Keaton was not a great Batman, too small, not rough enough with villians other than Joker at the end, but he played a DAMN GOOD Bruce Wayne. Bale is a GREAT BATMAN, from tapping cell phones to his obsession with stopping Joker, though still saving his life.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
We all have good memories of the old Batman, but watch it again after you've watched The Dark Knight. It's zero competition in every category. Set design, directing, story, acting, Dark Knight is superior in every single way. No one could possibly say Jack's Joker was better. Heath captured the role perfectly. And Keaton did a terrible job, bad acting, bad everything. Same with Clooney and Kilmer, horrible acting.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
the new one, no fuckin doubt

Man On The Moon

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'll Be Posted With My Blunt and A Brew...
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
The OG Batman is nostalgic. It reminds us of our childhood which is why we all like it a lot. The Dark Knight is clearly the better movie though. I even dusted off my old VHS copy of Batman and watched it the other day just to be sure.

Church...

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »
It's been ages since I saw those "old school" Batman movies, so I can't say really, but the Dark Knight is an awesome movie!

Anyway, the old batmobile kicks the new batmobile's ass! Damn I hate that new one!

kemizt

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:09:07 AM »
the dark knight > batman begins > batman (1989)

i've never really liked any of the first 4 (batman, batman returns, batman & robin, batman forever) as they were quite campy and gay. jack didnt portray the joker, he was jack playing jack in makeup. the joker is meant to be scary, terrifying and make your kids have nightmares. heath got that accomplished. the joker killing batmans parents? yeah, lets just make some shit up. what about alfred bringing vicky vale down to the batcave? yeah, why not!

the first 4 weren't even batman movies, they simly took the batman character and made some shit up. nolan knows what he's doing, from batman begins it was evident that he was a fan of the source material. i can live with little things (league of shadows vs league of assassins et al), but to simply make shit up as you go along is wack.

the dark knight gets my vote

+1...great point.

Dark Knight > Batman Begins >  Batman
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

F-cisco

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 11:09:23 AM »
"I love Jack, trust me, I love Jack, but Heath just dominated the role. There can never be another Joker, the role has been retired, 'cause Heath just made Joker the way he was suppose to be."

Heath's acting was Oscar worthy but the Joker character is far bigger than any A-list actor. Warner Bros will reboot the franchise in ten years with a new cast, director etc., for the new generation of fans.

J Bananas

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 01:09:28 AM »
The OG Batman is nostalgic. It reminds us of our childhood which is why we all like it a lot. The Dark Knight is clearly the better movie though. I even dusted off my old VHS copy of Batman and watched it the other day just to be sure.

pretty much

thisoneguy360

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
It's hard to say, the Dark Knight was probably more entertaining because of the improved special effects and plot twists. It's hard to beat the classics though.

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »
the dark knight > batman begins > batman (1989)

i've never really liked any of the first 4 (batman, batman returns, batman & robin, batman forever) as they were quite campy and gay. jack didnt portray the joker, he was jack playing jack in makeup. the joker is meant to be scary, terrifying and make your kids have nightmares. heath got that accomplished. the joker killing batmans parents? yeah, lets just make some shit up. what about alfred bringing vicky vale down to the batcave? yeah, why not!

the first 4 weren't even batman movies, they simly took the batman character and made some shit up. nolan knows what he's doing, from batman begins it was evident that he was a fan of the source material. i can live with little things (league of shadows vs league of assassins et al), but to simply make shit up as you go along is wack.

the dark knight gets my vote

+1...great point.

Dark Knight > Batman Begins >  Batman

The Maestro

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »
Batman '89 fucking sucks. It sucked in 89 and it still sucks now. It's not even close to anything Nolan has done with Batman in the last two films, whether we are judging as a portrayal of Batman or as a film in general. Batman was a cheezy, cookie cutter, paint by numbers action film with zero going for it. Dark Knight is a masterful film worthy of high praise. Seriously, comparing Dark Knight or Begins to anything Burton did is like comparing Batman '89 to the 60s TV show (except at least Adam West and the boys knew they were bein campy. I think Burton actually thought he was making a dark film).

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
Batman '89 fucking sucks. It sucked in 89 and it still sucks now. It's not even close to anything Nolan has done with Batman in the last two films, whether we are judging as a portrayal of Batman or as a film in general. Batman was a cheezy, cookie cutter, paint by numbers action film with zero going for it. Dark Knight is a masterful film worthy of high praise. Seriously, comparing Dark Knight or Begins to anything Burton did is like comparing Batman '89 to the 60s TV show (except at least Adam West and the boys knew they were bein campy. I think Burton actually thought he was making a dark film).

"Batman" and "Batman Returns" = classics. get over it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »

"Batman" and "Batman Returns" = classics. get over it.

Batman Begins & The Dark Knight>>>>>>>>>>>>Batman & Batman Returns........ get over it

Batman was alright, I'll give it that, it set the bar, but Spiderman far exceded that bar that with Spiderman 1&2 that Batman is not worth mentioning anymore. I mean dogg, Batman was a dated movie the moment the year ended, it was heavy in the 80's, when the 80's were coming to a close. That's why Batman Returns had a different look, but as Burton feared, Batman Returns had too many characters. This is why Burton never introduced Robin (Marlon Waynes was even casted and paid for the part), because Batman didn't seem to fit Robin, and Batman Returns had too many characters. They were decent movies, worthy of passing the bar that the first two Superman movies set (number 3&4 never happened, just like Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, and Spiderman 3, and I have yet to see X-Men III so I'll throw that in too) and allowing superhero movies to get away from being like the comic book and telling a story that will connect with the popular crowd. But at the end of the day, the Batman series don't touch the Dark Knight series. Seriously Heath was better than Jack, Batman Begins set up Dark Knight perfectly where as Batman Returns seemed to have no flow coming in from Batman, and the story of Bruce Wayne is easier to follow with Nolan telling it as oppose to Burton,