Author Topic: Bishop Lamont freestyles for 10 mins and talks Detox subject matter  (Read 1843 times)

PLANT

Re: Bishop Lamont freestyles for 10 mins and talks Detox subject matter
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Detox WILL eventualy come out and be a classic, no doubt

BUT

that freestyle was fuckin insane :o 8)

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »
:eh: bishop lamont ain't really like 50 cent at all perhaps you have a misconception of his music?

sorry my post didn't really express what i was trying to say. using the example you used of 50 Cent - i am guessing he can be a compelling character to some because all he is is a cartoon character if that makes sense. the person he presents on the mic is part- (or total) fiction, a series of film like stories which are entertainment in which he always plays the bad a*s superhero. 50 cent is not trying to (or can't) deliver a 360 degree version of who curtis jackson is.

bishop presents himself on the mic as a "real" person (whatever the f*ck that means). he attempts to deliver a message whether that be as the saviour of hip-hop, a preacher of sorts etc. but for me it is very difficult to listen to someone who is not that interesting musically where lyrically he preaches without any real sense of a personal struggle. he is just not a compelling artist for me. to me there is no soul in his music and while he is a brilliant talker i can't find him a very convincing preacher because there just seems like there sounds to me a lack of honesty somewhere in what he spits about and not enough mic skills to make up for that or carry it off (like a dude like ice cube). sorry if that sounds like hate. i am still anticipating an album if it comes but other than a couple of tracks like Translator i just haven't heard him get the balance right.

That's what worries me too. So I see your point  ;) I mean I was a HUGE BDP/KRS fan,but he kinda lost me around his
Sex and Violence album.  :P
He went on his anti gangster crusade and with all his preaching he lost me,
the music came secondary and the message in focus.
I appreciate Bishop's effort though.
Anyway there's a thread about;
content VS flow here  ;)

chad, to be totally honest with you and i know the dude is a legend but i could never listen to KRS1!!!!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
:eh: bishop lamont ain't really like 50 cent at all perhaps you have a misconception of his music?

sorry my post didn't really express what i was trying to say. using the example you used of 50 Cent - i am guessing he can be a compelling character to some because all he is is a cartoon character if that makes sense. the person he presents on the mic is part- (or total) fiction, a series of film like stories which are entertainment in which he always plays the bad a*s superhero. 50 cent is not trying to (or can't) deliver a 360 degree version of who curtis jackson is.

bishop presents himself on the mic as a "real" person (whatever the f*ck that means). he attempts to deliver a message whether that be as the saviour of hip-hop, a preacher of sorts etc. but for me it is very difficult to listen to someone who is not that interesting musically where lyrically he preaches without any real sense of a personal struggle. he is just not a compelling artist for me. to me there is no soul in his music and while he is a brilliant talker i can't find him a very convincing preacher because there just seems like there sounds to me a lack of honesty somewhere in what he spits about and not enough mic skills to make up for that or carry it off (like a dude like ice cube). sorry if that sounds like hate. i am still anticipating an album if it comes but other than a couple of tracks like Translator i just haven't heard him get the balance right.

no problem  ;)

nah your post doesn't sound like hate at all; you're being honest  ;)
i see what you're saying  ;)

Chad Vader

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
:eh: bishop Lamont ain't really like 50 cent at all perhaps you have a misconception of his music?

sorry my post didn't really express what i was trying to say. using the example you used of 50 Cent - i am guessing he can be a compelling character to some because all he is is a cartoon character if that makes sense. the person he presents on the Mic is part- (or total) fiction, a series of film like stories which are entertainment in which he always plays the bad a*s superhero. 50 cent is not trying to (or can't) deliver a 360 degree version of who Curtis jackson is.

bishop presents himself on the Mic as a "real" person (whatever the f*ck that means).
he attempts to deliver a message whether that be as the saviour of hip-hop, a preacher of sorts etc.
but for me it is very difficult to listen to someone who is not that interesting musically where lyrically
he preaches without any real sense of a personal struggle. he is just not a compelling artist for me.
to me there is no soul in his music and while he is a brilliant talker i can't find him a very convincing
preacher because there just seems like there sounds to me a lack of honesty somewhere in what he
spits about and not enough Mic skills to make up for that or carry it off (like a dude like ice cube).
sorry if that sounds like hate. i am still anticipating an album if it comes but other than a couple of
tracks like Translator i just haven't heard him get the balance right.

yep,I sorta agree with. Maybe a better way to describe it is lack off passion in his delivery to be convincing?

That's what worries me too. So I see your point  ;) I mean I was a HUGE BDP/KRS fan,but he kinda lost me around his
Sex and Violence album.  :P
He went on his anti gangster crusade and with all his preaching he lost me,
the music came secondary and the message in focus.
I appreciate Bishop's effort though.
Anyway there's a thread about;
content VS flow here  ;)

chad, to be totally honest with you and i know the dude is a legend but i could never listen to KRS1!!!!

Not sure when you came around...
but if I assume you came around in the 90´s,you might have got presented with KRS as this stuck up preaching hypocrite. Which is true  :P ;) :laugh:.
But if you was around in the mid to late 80´s,how could you miss out on and not feel?;
BDP; Criminal Minded and BDP; By All Means Necessary?

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
lol, like Dre's even writing his own rhymes.

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
yep,I sorta agree with. Maybe a better way to describe it is lack off passion in his delivery to be convincing?

exactly lacking the passion and hunger of an Ice Cube.

but if I assume you came around in the 90´s,you might have got presented with KRS as this stuck up preaching hypocrite. Which is true  :P ;) :laugh:.
But if you was around in the mid to late 80´s,how could you miss out on and not feel?;

i came around in the late 80s and all i listened to then to be honest was west coast gangster sh*t...

Black Gloves

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »

Bishop doesnt really have that sex appeal that niggas like Snoop for example has.

Bishop is just a regular nigga. Dont nobody wanna hear that shit. At least get a bigger ass or something.

Chad Vader

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »

i came around in the late 80s and all i listened to then to be honest was west coast gangster sh*t...

I see  :laugh: :laugh:
At least I hope you have given them a chance  ;)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
Word up to Lindon, props on your shit on bishop, i usually dig it. Musically the shit gotta sound good whatever sector/area of hiphop u place yourself in. Bishop is placing himself in a group where he is supposed to be 'mature' and real and saving hiphop etc but then he is putting himself in a group with the likes of legends like Nas and even Jigga (not a fan but i appreciate dude got mad skills) and past legends like Cube and lets be real...homie aint even released one album...okay the mixtapes he dropping for joke, but a cats career is defined through albums imo and in terms of skills, he really aint close to any of the others I mentioned in this thread. Ofcourse thats just my opinion but i dont really see it changing right now. Grow Up aint really doing nothing for me and I have heard some songs where bishop flows like a beast (Donkey Kong) but not enough for me.

I too look forward to the album and see what dre can cook up with this nigga but i see what lindon saying about whatever message you tryna put across, the music and flow and how you present it has to be right to because first n foremost, this is music.

Pz