Author Topic: The Official Nappy Roots "The Humdinger" Discussion Thread.  (Read 147 times)

Lunatic

The Official Nappy Roots "The Humdinger" Discussion Thread.
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »

Artist: Nappy Roots
Title: The Humdinger
Label: Nappy Roots Ent.
Genre: Rap
Bitrate: 187kbit av.
Time: 01:01:27
Size: 87.29 mb
Rip Date: 2008-08-04
Str Date: 2008-08-05

1. Intro 0:56
2. Beads And Braids 3:39
3. On My Way To GA 4:40
4. Pole Position (Feat. Slick And Rose) 4:27
5. Flex 3:49
6. Swerve And Lean 4:12
7. Good Day 4:21
8. Down 'N Out (Feat. Anthony Hamilton) 4:28
9. Tinted Up (Feat. Groove Chambers) 3:56
10. Fresh 4:26
11. Kalifornia Dreamin' (Feat. Slick And Rose) 3:51
12. Who Got It??? 3:24
13. No Static (Feat. Greg Nice) 3:22
14. Don't Stop (Feat. Groove Chambers) 3:52
15. Panic Room 3:07
16. Small Town 4:57

coppin this tomorrow if i can find it, bout 2 spin it now though..
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

smegma

Re: The Official Nappy Roots "The Humdinger" Discussion Thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
I'm positively surprised. After one listen my opinion is that it's a real good album. "No Static" is my song for a while now. It's on the nomination list to become a personal classic :P

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »
^just started, "beads and braids" is dope as fuck already..skinny Deville is one of my fav, most under rated rappers

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
IS this album out yet??
I just noticed on the front page of Dubcc, they premiered 'Karliafornia Dreaming'  record!
I'm digging the acoustic feel of that track!
Is the rest of the album of that vibe??

y..skinny Deville is one of my fav, most under rated rappers

Skinny Deville is Tight!!
I kinda upset that Prophet lef the group..Cuz he was my fave, next to Skinny Deville..
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
^comes out tomorrow
ain't heard the cd yet, only 2-3 songs, can't tell u bout da vibe
never was a fan of prophet, my least fav member

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »
^comes out tomorrow
ain't heard the cd yet, only 2-3 songs, can't tell u bout da vibe
never was a fan of prophet, my least fav member

It's all good, Prophet IMO was  Really Good! His flow kinda brought a Low vibe to Skinny's High Flow..

The songs I've heard so far, paint  a picture of a good album!!
I still bump thier first album!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Chad

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »
The album is dope as fuck!  We're doing the in-store in Louisville, KY @ ear x-tacy on wednesday....make sure you guys go out and cop that album!  You won't be disappointed...
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

i B 2 QUIK 2 c

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
kinda off topic, but since there's a bunch of Nappy Roots fans in this thread, i'd figure i'd ask...

Anyone have the Nappy Roots track "Shine" produced by Alchemist ??? the track was supposed to be on Alc's First Infaltry album, but it didn't make the cut... he released the instrumental (which is  :o ), but i always wanted to hear the vocal version...

anyways, might have to peep this album out!

PEACE!

wc-reppin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:13 PM »
I went in with mixed thoughts on this cd. I love old Nappy Roots stuff but had not heard from them in a bit so was hoping they would deliver. All I can say is DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! This cd is fire from front to back!!! There was not one song on the cd I was not feeling. Chill tracks, party tracks, feel good tracks!!!! I am very impressed and will definetely be picking this up tomorrow. The track Down and Out with Anthony Hamilton got that Outkast feel to it and Kalifornia Dreamin is dope too.

Support real music and pick up this cd!!!

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »
Just finished my first listen and I must admit I have mixed feelings. More listens will be needed before I form my final opinion, but there are some songs on here that don't impress me cause it ain't there styles. Those include: Pole Position, Flex, panic room (minus skinny's verse which was sick)

Down N Out is crazy; as is No Static. Those are my 2 fav joints so far. Beads & Braids is sick as well.  Swerve & Lean is pretty good.

On my way to GA doesnt impress me and good day is cool, not a fan of the kiddy hooks though. Tinted up is alright. Fresh is avg.

I like Kali Dreamin & Who Got It.

Will drop my final review after a few more listens.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:19:54 AM by Lunatic 63 »

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »
Finally gave this a proper listen and my thoughts have practically changed fully. My new review pretty much does a 360 from what I said earlier lol.

1. Intro - N/A

2. Beads N Braids - this beat go hard as hell. pure old school southern shit. Who better than Skinny DeVille to start the album off? he (of course) drops such a dope verse. The hook is fantastic as well. This is some classic Nappy. Big V spits pretty good 2. This Ron Clutch spitting third?  Rating: 5/5

3. On My Way To GA - the beat is dope once again. Fish Scales rapping first? Not bad at all. Skinny kills this shit once again, god damn he's so dope lol. B.Stille rapped pretty good as well on this. I'm feelin this track this time around. Rating: 4.5/5

4. Pole Position Ft. Slick & Rose - This beat is pretty damn hot. Didn't expect Nappy to rap over this, but i'm feeling it now. The hook is catchy as fuck. Skinny DeVille murders this again. Rating: 4.25/5

5. Flex - the beat not really nappy roots style, but it's good. the hook is pretty trash though. First verse sucks (can't tell if it's Clutch or Scales). Big V comes weak as well lol. Skinny DeVille comes better than the rest on this, much better. feelin the flow. Trash verse again. B.Stille comes weak as well. Weak track overall, filler. Rating: 2/5

6. Swerve & Lean - This beat is SICK. Skinny DeVille solo track here and he starts it off and uses a real unique flow over this beat and really destroys it, wow. Skinny also does the hook and is great. This puts the album back on track with the classic Nappy sound us fans have come to love. DAMN, Skinny's 2nd verse is murder again. God damn, this makes me want a Skinny solo even more. Another dope verse by him third. Rating: 5/5

7. Good Day - The first single and am glad to see it getting spins on BET/MTV. The beat is cool and the hook is alright (not a fan of the kiddy hooks). Big V drops an ok verse. Fish Scales drops a pretty hot verse. Skinny DeVille drops a verse third and it's cool, far from his best. Scales came the hardest on this. 2 bad Stille & Clutch don't spit on it. Rating: 4/5

8. Down N Out Ft. Anthony Hamilton - great beat. God damn this joint is so great, another Nappy/Hamilton classic. I don't think there's been a more consistent rapping/singing collaboration over the years than this group/singer. Hamilton drops a great hook ofcourse. Skinny drops a hot ass verse first off as well. B.Stille spitting 2nd and comes with real shit. Fish Scales comes with the third verse and raps great as well. Rating: 5/5

9. Tinted Up Ft. Groove Chambers - Beat is funky and hot. The hook is pretty hot. Fish Scales first verse and it's pretty hot. Big V comes 2nd and it's pretty good, haha funny as hell with that obama/mama line. B. Stille comes third and it's cool. Ron Clutch spitting 4th and comes alright. Skinny DeVille comes last (nice to have all members rappin on this 1) and kills it. Rating: 4.5/5

10. Fresh - The beat is alright and the hook is cool, nothin special though. Big V drops the first verse and ain't feelin it. Kind of like a crunk song but that ain't Nappy style. Skinny DeVille drops a bridge and he also sounds a bit out of place on here. Fish Scales rapping next and he actually fits on this, pretty hot verse. Ron Clutch goes next and is average. B.Stille missing on this. Rating: 2.5/5

11. Kalifornia Dreamin' Ft. Slick & Rose - S&R drop a HOT hook and this beat is great. B.Stille spitting first and comes correct. Skinny DeVille spitting 2nd and merks it (once again). Ron Clutch spitting next and drops real shit. Big V comes next up. Wish Scales spat on this, still a hot record. Rating: 4.5/5

12. Who Got It - Another beat that don't really fit the NR style IMO. B.Stille comes first and I'm actually feeling his verse over this beat. Hook is annoying though for me. Big V comes up next and is alright. Skinny DeVille comes next and somehow makes me feel his part a lot lol, hella catchy and his verse is hot. Rating: 3/5

13. No Static Ft. Greg Nice - The beat/hook have a real old school feel to it that i'm really feeling. First verse is hella hot. Skinny DeVille spits next and is great lol. B.Stille is next and is cool on this. Rating: 5/5

14. Don't Stop Ft. Groove Chambers - the beat is hot and the hook fits real nice over this. B. Stille comes first and comes pretty nice. Fish Scales rapping next and is dope on this. Big V up next and is cool. Skinny DeVille spitting fourth with Clutch fifth. Rating: 4.5/5

15. Panic Room - The hook is annoying and the beat ain't good. 2 many non NR style tracks on this, kind of weird, but so many hot tracks as well. This is just a weird track overall. Rating: 2/5

16. Small Town - Nice way to close out the album since they are small town boys themselves. Big V comes first and has a feel good verse fa sho. Cool song overall. Rating: 4/5

Fav tracks (IN order):
Down N Out
Beads N Braids
Swerve N Lean
No Static

could do without:
Flex
Fresh
Panic Room

all in all, a great album that was definitely worth the wait. Could be the best Nappy album period, but with those 3-4 out of place tracks, gonna take a bit longer to figure out where this fits in there disco. Def a great album though, glad i bought it, and don't regret it at all - will be coppin the next joint 2.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:14:12 AM by Lunatic 63 »

D~Nice

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »
Picked this up last night at Best Buy, but I have yet to listen to it.

Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
do so asap D!

D~Nice

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 06:40:38 PM »
do so asap D!

I just have soooo much music to listen to. This, Ras Kass, Big Hutch, Lloyd, Re-Up Gang. I will get to it, maybe later tonight.

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »
do so asap D!

I just have soooo much music to listen to. This, Ras Kass, Big Hutch, Lloyd, Re-Up Gang. I will get to it, maybe later tonight.
I feel u. This is dope. Haven't peeped Ras or Hutch or Lloyd. Re-Up is alright, 2 many old songs on it though; KOCH messed it up.