Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (GN'R) Discussion  (Read 160 times)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Chinese Democracy (GN'R) Discussion
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
Just wondering, seeing as the majority of threads are hip-hop, who here is looking forward to Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses? Who has heard any of the songs by the new Guns N' Roses, and if you have, what do you think of 'em?     
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Ridah662

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Chinese Democracy (GN'R) Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:57:11 PM »
The Original Lineup Reunion Is About To Happen Soon....The New Songs Are Very Good...

Efrain

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:23:24 PM »
I've heard everything that's leaked (and have them if you need) and overall, I'm not especially impressed. Actually, I'm disappointed.

It sounds very contrived to me, very technical and artificial, albeit very well executed technically. There isn't that organic natural feel to any of it, nothing feels like it just "came together." A lot of the songs suffer from the same things that hurt UYI, axl's "if we add every possible instrument to this song, it will make it THAT much better!" mentality. The same problem spills over into the focus of the project which has so many conflicting elements and directions, hip-hop, chemical, rock, alternative, industrial, etc. Mood wise there is little variation, every song is heavy, all the lyrics and melodies are heavy, depressing and often confusing. Highlights are Better, IRS and TWAT which has a vibe and solo that makes you nostalgic for UYI epics like November Rain and Estranged. Bucket head's guitar work carries the album, and is the reason the best songs are the best songs. I personally don't like his style or his whole deal but at least with him the new Guns N roses made some sense.

Bottom line, it's good but nowhere close to 15-years-in-the-making good and nothing compared to a Guns N Roses album featuring all the original members.

*Plays Breakdown*

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:25:37 PM by Efrain »

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
It'll never drop

kemizt

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »
I've heard everything that's leaked (and have them if you need) and overall, I'm not especially impressed. Actually, I'm disappointed.

It sounds very contrived to me, very technical and artificial, albeit very well executed technically. There isn't that organic natural feel to any of it, nothing feels like it just "came together." A lot of the songs suffer from the same things that hurt UYI, axl's "if we add every possible instrument to this song, it will make it THAT much better!" mentality. The same problem spills over into the focus of the project which has so many conflicting elements and directions, hip-hop, chemical, rock, alternative, industrial, etc. Mood wise there is little variation, every song is heavy, all the lyrics and melodies are heavy, depressing and often confusing. Highlights are Better, IRS and TWAT which has a vibe and solo that makes you nostalgic for UYI epics like November Rain and Estranged. Bucket head's guitar work carries the album, and is the reason the best songs are the best songs. I personally don't like his style or his whole deal but at least with him the new Guns N roses made some sense.

Bottom line, it's good but nowhere close to 15-years-in-the-making good and nothing compared to a Guns N Roses album featuring all the original members.

*Plays Breakdown*

I feel you on your points made (PS Breakdown is f'n awesome).  Axl does have a penchant for the extreme and grand, thats for sure.  I personally like the new songs, although I think the quotes in Madagascar go on a little to long (maybe replace with a guitar solo).  I think the depressing parts of the new music really comes from where he was/is at in his life, there for IMO it isn't forced.  Songs like Breakdown, Estranged, and November Rain were all more "Axl" songs than Slash songs, and I think they were good foreshadowing into what direction the band was going with Axl directing it (depressing, self reflecting, influenced by a bad relationship).  Also, he manages to do this emotional kind of stuff without coming off like a whiny bitch (whereas many modern rock bands cant pull of "bad ass" sad songs). 

Hard Knocks: Dallas Cowboys is comin' on, I gotta go!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:38:33 PM by Its Adam, Not Pacman »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:26 AM »
unless slash, duff, matt/adler, and IZZY (maybe dizzy too) are apart of it i'll probably download it, but i'll never buy it.....it's not guns n roses, it's the Axle Rose flying Circus as far as i'm concerned.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »
unless slash, duff, matt/adler, and IZZY (maybe dizzy too) are apart of it i'll probably download it, but i'll never buy it.....it's not guns n roses, it's the Axle Rose flying Circus as far as i'm concerned.

Hey, to each his own. I hope people can give this music a chance, even if they think it's a "flying circus", I still think its quality shit.  I do totally understand if it's just not ur cup of tea.  Also, Dizzy is part of the new GNR.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:22:28 AM by Its Adam, Not Pacman »

MediumL

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:10 AM »
Wow so Detox and this are coming out??? Lol The two biggest myths in music lol Never really bothered with GNR
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>