Author Topic: KRS one and Souja Boy chat  (Read 308 times)

OchoCinco

KRS one and Souja Boy chat
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »
KRS is the truth man

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:03:38 PM by OchoCinco »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Re: KRS one and Souja Boy chat
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
old heads shoulda done this a long time ago..instead of bumpin and hatin on the lil nigga...

niggas 4times his age and scared to be a man...

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
In my opinion...cats like Ice T should be a lot more frustrated at the companies who promote ringtone rap versus the tools a.k.a. rappers used to make these companies the massive amounts of money.

I HATED "Crank dat" not because it was a song with no substance and a dance..but because his flow was wack, lyrics were repetitive, and it was just hella annoying...and I had to have people beg me to play it when I first started doing parties. I would tell people "nah, I am not gonna download that virus on my computer." Since then, I have loved and hated some of his tracks. I think "Donk" is typical club nonsense with no substance, but I love the energy to it and how it makes people dance...and rap has ALWAYS had ignorance and songs that were of no substance...so Soulja Boy isn't doing anything new at that level.

One question I always have, mainly to young blacks, is what is truly worst....rappers who have skill and good beats, but talk about negativity such as murder, drugs, gangs, sex, and all else....or music with catchy but wack beats and hooks that has a neutral message that isn't really positive or negative? As wack as "Crank dat" was...I'd rather see my kids dancing to that, than to be reciting Doggystyle as I was at nine years old.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:53:21 AM »

One question I always have, mainly to young blacks, is what is truly worst....rappers who have skill and good beats, but talk about negativity such as murder, drugs, gangs, sex, and all else....or music with catchy but wack beats and hooks that has a neutral message that isn't really positive or negative? As wack as "Crank dat" was...I'd rather see my kids dancing to that, than to be reciting Doggystyle as I was at nine years old.

I totally disagree with you!

At the time Snoop was first puttin it down he was young just like Souljah Boy was young.  But he knew his history, Snoop could of told you anything from Poppin and Lockin, to Graffiti Writin, to DJ'in and ran down a whole list with you of old school rappers that he looked up to and respected, and those old school rappers were passin him the torch, and he came up in the game with love and respect for his history, not only as a hip-hop artist but Snoop could also speak on what it meant to be a black man in America, and his place in history.

Souljah Boy can't speak on shit.  Only influence he knew of was 50 Cent.   

And as far as the message your trying to say that Souljah Boy's message is better than Snoop's?  Come on dogg.. you lived in the 90's you know way better than that.  The 90's was all about keepin it real, less is more, just being yourself, and relatin to others in a real way.  Snoop defined that.  That was the mantra of the whole 90's gangsta rap era was "keep it real".  Now you can say they may have exaggerated violence but they were careful in songs and interviews never to alienate the regular everyday brothers they came up with and who supported them. 

Souljah Boy is a rapper who came out with songs that had no sense of history, no message, or articulation of any struggle.  Gangsta rap did articulate the struggle, the way they did it was raw and aggressive, but it was an articulation of something... Souljah Boy.... man... I'm threw.. you know better than that ... your an intelligent poster... don't go around saying Souljah Boys message was better than Snoops.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MY FIRST LOVE WAS HIP HOP

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »

At the time Snoop was first puttin it down he was young just like Souljah Boy was young.  But he knew his history, Snoop could of told you anything from Poppin and Lockin, to Graffiti Writin, to DJ'in and ran down a whole list with you of old school rappers that he looked up to and respected, and those old school rappers were passin him the torch, and he came up in the game with love and respect for his history, not only as a hip-hop artist but Snoop could also speak on what it meant to be a black man in America, and his place in history.

And as far as the message your trying to say that Souljah Boy's message is better than Snoop's?  Come on dogg.. you lived in the 90's you know way better than that.  The 90's was all about keepin it real, less is more, just being yourself, and relatin to others in a real way.  Snoop defined that.  That was the mantra of the whole 90's gangsta rap era was "keep it real".  Now you can say they may have exaggerated violence but they were careful in songs and interviews never to alienate the regular everyday brothers they came up with and who supported them. 

Souljah Boy is a rapper who came out with songs that had no sense of history, no message, or articulation of any struggle.  Gangsta rap did articulate the struggle, the way they did it was raw and aggressive, but it was an articulation of something... Souljah Boy.... man... I'm threw.. you know better than that ... your an intelligent poster... don't go around saying Souljah Boys message was better than Snoops.

real talk!!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:34 AM »

Nah man...I don't think you get what I'm sayin.

The only thing I am saying is that most of Doggystyle had HELLA cussing, and the content was filled with bitches, weed, murder, gangbangin, etc. etc....and me being a 9 year old, that was the first time I was really exposed to that, and that was too much for me to be listenin to. I am not talkin about them as rappers, or about what they know...it's obvious Snoop was much more talented and all else...but truth is, that music was NOT meant for kids...that's my only point.

I would go to school in 4th grade reciting Doggystyle's lyrics word for word, and I remember having everyone from the blacks to the asians singing the lyrics...and some of them would even tell their parents, "Ronald sings that song every day at school"...we all know how vulgar "Ain't no fun" and "For all my niggs and bitches" was. Sure, it may have been "keepin it real" for the hood...but that music was NOT meant for kids at all.

Soulja Boy has no message. He does have some negative messages, and even songs like "Shootout" are obviously more negative than anything else. But most of his music is just typical nonsense that has no message, good or bad....and I feel that if I had kids, I'd rather them listen to this nonsense than to hear "Ain't no fun" the explicit version. That's the only thing I'm saying...not to defend Soulja Boy as if he's talented, or to knock "Doggystyle" which is still my favorite album ever....I'm just unbiased enough to speak about these kinds of things without being subjective to who I like.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »
that nigga krs one he cool and all back in the day..........but now a days that nigga is straight whack........... like is whole style and the songs he puts out

hellrazor86

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • There Can Only Be One Don
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
KRS One The Truth.. nothin mo nothin less

One

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:02 AM »

Nah man...I don't think you get what I'm sayin.

The only thing I am saying is that most of Doggystyle had HELLA cussing, and the content was filled with bitches, weed, murder, gangbangin, etc. etc....and me being a 9 year old, that was the first time I was really exposed to that, and that was too much for me to be listenin to. I am not talkin about them as rappers, or about what they know...it's obvious Snoop was much more talented and all else...but truth is, that music was NOT meant for kids...that's my only point.

I would go to school in 4th grade reciting Doggystyle's lyrics word for word, and I remember having everyone from the blacks to the asians singing the lyrics...and some of them would even tell their parents, "Ronald sings that song every day at school"...we all know how vulgar "Ain't no fun" and "For all my niggs and bitches" was. Sure, it may have been "keepin it real" for the hood...but that music was NOT meant for kids at all.

Soulja Boy has no message. He does have some negative messages, and even songs like "Shootout" are obviously more negative than anything else. But most of his music is just typical nonsense that has no message, good or bad....and I feel that if I had kids, I'd rather them listen to this nonsense than to hear "Ain't no fun" the explicit version. That's the only thing I'm saying...not to defend Soulja Boy as if he's talented, or to knock "Doggystyle" which is still my favorite album ever....I'm just unbiased enough to speak about these kinds of things without being subjective to who I like.

i agree kuz from the age 5-14..my daughter will be that boys biggest fan..then she can get into the other stuff..

im a 80s-90s baby and growin up we had way more nonsense rap than anything..5-14..it was kid n play,mc hammer, vanilla ice, salt n pepa, atcq,father mc.. and a bunch of others..for me growin up..the shit was catchy..i aint give a shit bout what they was sayin..or if they knew the history of hip hop or what it meant to be a black man.. kuz nigga im mixed...thought never crossed my mind or thought it was that important..im tryin 2 get to the last pop tart and bottle of jungle juice..

n every friday at our soc-hops..this the shit that was bein played...kids eventually grow out of that phase once they get to jr high and highschool..

thats where all these religious hip hop posters fail to realize..shit like snoop i can tell u the same shit..bout poppin and all that other shit.. snoop grew up in that era..jus like i did..

soulja boy was born in 1990..born in chicago..raised in the south..and i can tell u now..the era he came upon..in the south..was outkast, no limit, 50,ja rule, luda, khia, trick daddy

and the history of hip hop aint all that important in the south..but if u wanna learn it..u can..but aint nobody gone make break or hate u cuz u dont know it..shit u aint gone lose no sleep kuz u dont know all the lyrics to kurtis blow's duece album..

but my granddaddy always said.. what they eat dont make u shit..

thats our mentality down here..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:18:20 AM by 3rd Coast »

'EclipZe

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »
soulja boys a cool dude, his music is just crankin dance music, don't like his music but he's doin his thing

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »
Soulja Boy is doin what kids nowadays can relate to and like listening to.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  On the other hand, I think someone like "DJ" Khaled, who just ruins tracks by yelling over them, is someone who I cant really respect and dont consider any type of artist. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

corner_boy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offroad
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
thanx for the post, growing up my first hip hop album was wu-tang but then i jumped on KRS with older people in the fam tellin me to listen to some of the older music here and there to get better picture of how the music has evolved.  In reality it wasnt till i started college that i really saw the value of remembering and respecting the older generations.

KRS here was on point mentioning how it is the responsibility of the older generation to step up and at least make sure that the new cats have support and knowledge of what the business is all about..  Without this they just gonna make stuff that has no long term value.

Knowledge Reign Supreme - Over Nearly Everyone

Preach on homie

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
that nigga krs one he cool and all back in the day..........but now a days that nigga is straight whack........... like is whole style and the songs he puts out

i agree
i wont buy any more of his stuff.... he seems off his game

D-Stress

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
fuck the ringtone-rap shit.
OG´z will be OG`z 4 ever.dont take the credit, stay real, stay hip-hop.fuck hip-poppers.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »
thats some real shit its jus the fact that its all soulja boy
but cats might like (I think they would actually) liek to hear krs, nas, game, shit even underground above the law, tech n9ne in the club vs jus lil wyane, fat joe and soulja boy

In my opinion...cats like Ice T should be a lot more frustrated at the companies who promote ringtone rap versus the tools a.k.a. rappers used to make these companies the massive amounts of money.

I HATED "Crank dat" not because it was a song with no substance and a dance..but because his flow was wack, lyrics were repetitive, and it was just hella annoying...and I had to have people beg me to play it when I first started doing parties. I would tell people "nah, I am not gonna download that virus on my computer." Since then, I have loved and hated some of his tracks. I think "Donk" is typical club nonsense with no substance, but I love the energy to it and how it makes people dance...and rap has ALWAYS had ignorance and songs that were of no substance...so Soulja Boy isn't doing anything new at that level.

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.