Author Topic: Slim Thug Weighs In On Mike Jones/Trae Beef, “I Hope This Sh*t Ends”  (Read 100 times)

Elano

With a new album Boss Hogg Outlawz album set to hit stores, SOHH caught up with Houston rapper Slim Thug to talk about his move from Interscope to Koch and to get his opinion of the recent altercation between Mike Jones and Trae tha Truth at the Ozone Awards.

Slim Thug, who gained notoriety by distributing his own mixtapes on the streets of Houston, released his first album Already Platinum on Interscope Records, but has since parted ways with the major label.

According to Slim, Interscope had a major turnover in their employees after the release of his first LP in ’05.  He says he tried to stick around for a while but the label never quite got back on track. 

“They was moving a little too slow for me,” he said.  “I just decided I wanted to go back independent and do it how I always did it in my career, how it always worked for me, so I got with Koch.  They like a major independent so it worked out good for me.”

For the record, Slim still maintains a good relationship with Pharrell Williams, who signed the rapper to a production deal during his time at the label. 

“Me and P we still cool to this day,” he explained. “It ain’t got nothing to do with him.  It’s a Geffen/Interscope thing.”

Now that he’s found a new label home, Slim Thug is ready to release the follow up to his Boss Hogg Outlawz group album, Serve and Collect.

Fellow group member Killa Kyleon takes credit for the title of the new album, Back By Blockular Demand (Serve & Collect 2).

“I always went by the saying ‘back by popular demand’ and being that it’s a street record, I just flipped it around to Back By Blockular Demand,” he said.

Though the new album was created for the streets, the group didn’t hesitate to get Koch label mate, Ray J to lace the first single, “Keep It Playa.” 

“We just needed a record that was going really be radio friendly for the chicks but really wasn’t going to put us out of character,” explained Killa.

The rest of the album isn’t so commercial. 

“It’s the genuine H-Town, Texas gangsta music,” said Thug.  “It might not have the biggest hit song [on] radio and TV but it’s real good music I think if people actually pick up the record and listen to it they’ll fall in love with it.”

Slim Thug also took the time to weigh in on the recent fight that took place at the Ozone Awards between fellow H-Town rappers Mike Jones and Trae.   

“I knew Trae since like 7th grade we went to school together,” he revealed. “Mike Jones, I went to high school with him. They both my partners. I hope this sh*t ends.”

Back By Blockular Demand (Serve & Collect 2), will be released on Koch Records on September 2nd.