Author Topic: Which franchise rules your city?  (Read 394 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: Which franchise rules your city?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
"LOS ANGELES Lakers. The real folks in town—bus drivers, gardeners, school-teachers—own Lakers jerseys. Dodgertown is in Florida. "There's a radio guy here with 'I Slept with Shaq' tattooed on his forehead," marvels Laker Derek Fisher. Think anyone's got "I Slept with Chris Kaman" tattooed on his forehead?"

i honestly think it would be a tie.. you dont draw 3,000,000+ (22 seasons of 3M+) almost every year if no one likes ya.  dodgers draw an average of 2,946,443 since 78..and an avg. of 2.79 million since the stadium opened.  the dodgers have all types of attendance records.

los angeles is as much a dodger town, as it is a laker town.  everyone else ranks a far second. 

i think given the fact that the dodgers havn't been that great over the last 2 decades ....and they're still popular as fuck proves how much LA is a dodger town as well.

Dodger history is great and everything, but they currently have nothing on the Lakers in terms of popularity. This was recently a topic of discussion on AM570 KLAC and nobody argued that this was a Dodger town...not even the hardcore fans. The 1 caller who tried to say it was almost even got laughed at. LOL.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »
 the fact that they still bring in many many people into the stadium, have an insane hardcore fan base, and arn't even THAT good and havn't been since the late 80's  says alot

the writer of the article pointed out that everyone owns a laker jersey......but i'm pretty sure more people own dodger hats,lol.

also i want to bring up the what if question..........what if the dodgers were to start rolling in the playoffs now? don't you think that given what i stated earlier they'd be up there with the Red Sox as far as city fan support??

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
the fact that they still bring in many many people into the stadium, have an insane hardcore fan base, and arn't even THAT good and havn't been since the late 80's  says alot

the writer of the article pointed out that everyone owns a laker jersey......but i'm pretty sure more people own dodger hats,lol.

also i want to bring up the what if question..........what if the dodgers were to start rolling in the playoffs now? don't you think that given what i stated earlier they'd be up there with the Red Sox as far as city fan support??

IF is the key word...most people who own the LA "Dodger" hats don't even care for baseball. IF the Dodgers started doing big things on a consistent basis, THEN we could compare them to the Lakers. As of now, they have a lot of work to put in...PeACe

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
just because they're not hanging banners doesn't take away the fact that they're still very much LA's team along with the lakers. in no way shape or form do i believe or have ever seen a dramatic between the love the city has for both.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
"LOS ANGELES Lakers. The real folks in town—bus drivers, gardeners, school-teachers—own Lakers jerseys. Dodgertown is in Florida. "There's a radio guy here with 'I Slept with Shaq' tattooed on his forehead," marvels Laker Derek Fisher. Think anyone's got "I Slept with Chris Kaman" tattooed on his forehead?"

i honestly think it would be a tie.. you dont draw 3,000,000+ (22 seasons of 3M+) almost every year if no one likes ya.  dodgers draw an average of 2,946,443 since 78..and an avg. of 2.79 million since the stadium opened.  the dodgers have all types of attendance records.

los angeles is as much a dodger town, as it is a laker town.  everyone else ranks a far second. 

LOL...Anyone who thinks LA is a Dodger town is out of touch with reality.

anyone who says LA isnt a dodger town is out of touch with reality.

im not saying that LA is ONLY a dodger town and not a laker town..i am saying is that.....lets put it like this...LA is a big backyard..and the lakers and dodgers are the two meanest and biggest pitbulls in this backyard.  all the other teams are a little ass taco bell chihuahua.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:06:35 PM by The Wykid Won »

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
^ that's the truth right there.

and then to ellaborate on that ....it's not just LA it's surrounding areas as well. you go 3 hours in any direction and it's the same story with the lakers and dodgers.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »
Boston has been more Patriots than Red Sox as of the last 15 years. Maine doesn't count they are not in the epicenter of it. I live within 5 miles of Gillette, I see it. Patriot Place is the best sports/ entertainment/shopping/ area in the country.

Sparegeez

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
The Niners 8)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »

and then to ellaborate on that ....it's not just LA it's surrounding areas as well. you go 3 hours in any direction and it's the same story with the lakers and dodgers.

Actually... you are wrong... if you got 1 hour east into this valley called the Inland Empire, you'll find that there are as many Angel fans as Dodger fans. Everyone under the age of 30 is majority Angel fans (won a World Series more resent, has a Mexican owner, seen as just better baseball overall) BUT everyone is a Laker fan. So say you have... what... there is 3million in this valley, and half are Angel fans, and the other half is Dodger fans, but EVERYONE is a Laker fan, save the 2% of idiots who root for the one team no one likes, then the Lakers CRUSH the Dodgers in greater LA. If you go in LA city limits, then you might have an argument, though the Lakers still take the title. After all, 3 million fans, but there is 56,000 in that stadium compared to 19,000 for the Lakers, on top of that there are 81 home games in baseball, compared to 41 home games in basketball. So, if you say that the Dodgers do draw 3million people, that's only an average of 37,000, which is not selling out every game. Now tell me the last time the Lakers DIDN'T have a sell out. To be honest, I don't remember, but I still think Nick Van Exel was shadow boxing well Vlade Divac blew kisses to the crowd.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »

Actually... you are wrong... if you got 1 hour east into this valley called the Inland Empire, you'll find that there are as many Angel fans as Dodger fans. Everyone under the age of 30 is majority Angel fans (won a World Series more resent, has a Mexican owner, seen as just better baseball overall) BUT everyone is a Laker fan. So say you have... what... there is 3million in this valley, and half are Angel fans, and the other half is Dodger fans, but EVERYONE is a Laker fan, save the 2% of idiots who root for the one team no one likes, then the Lakers CRUSH the Dodgers in greater LA. If you go in LA city limits, then you might have an argument, though the Lakers still take the title. After all, 3 million fans, but there is 56,000 in that stadium compared to 19,000 for the Lakers, on top of that there are 81 home games in baseball, compared to 41 home games in basketball. So, if you say that the Dodgers do draw 3million people, that's only an average of 37,000, which is not selling out every game. Now tell me the last time the Lakers DIDN'T have a sell out. To be honest, I don't remember, but I still think Nick Van Exel was shadow boxing well Vlade Divac blew kisses to the crowd.

check what i said...i was in no way comparing the lakers attendance with the dodgers..of course the dodgers draw more cause of the longer schedule and bigger stadium...

what i did say is that "you dont draw 3M+ if no one likes ya".  if LA wasnt a dodger city, we would only draw about 15,000 fans a game. 

Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »

check what i said...i was in no way comparing the lakers attendance with the dodgers..of course the dodgers draw more cause of the longer schedule and bigger stadium...

what i did say is that "you dont draw 3M+ if no one likes ya".  if LA wasnt a dodger city, we would only draw about 15,000 fans a game. 

I was responding to Jake.

Of course you don't draw 3mil if no one likes you. The Angels are drawing 3mil as well, Vlad Guerrero and Manny Ramirez are so popular right now they could be mayors of their city and Arte Moreno I think could be governor of California if one of his positions is more lower beer prices. Both are liked quiet well.

Still... the Lakers are the kings. If the Lakers could have an area large enough to max their attendance, I think you'd see a 40,000+ stadium complete with cheap sets that you know everyone in East Los, South LA and the poorer areas would populate. Because from my experience, even when the Lakers have an off year, they have a HUGE following in the hood, and they'd all love to go to a game, but can't afford it.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
the dodgers have had an 'off year' for about 20 years now. lol

and STILL manage to draw more than any other club in the NL. 

if the lakers werent in the hunt for 20 years (like the dodgers), would anyone still show love for the lakers?  probably..LA loves the lakers AND dodgers..thats why this is AS MUCH A DODGER TOWN, as it is a laker town.   8)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:48:32 PM by The Wykid Won »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »
the dodgers have had an 'off year' for about 20 years now. lol

and STILL manage to draw more than any other club in the NL. 

if the lakers werent in the hunt for 20 years (like the dodgers), would anyone even care about the lakers?

actually... yes. They are on TV everyday, and they have that history of winning. The Dodgers don't draw flies to shit when they don't hit .500. And in the 90's they had years when they could draw. Resently they've had some decent years, and LA fans don't really care if they are going to the World Series, or Finals, or anything else. The LA Rams drew sell outs and NEVER won a Super Bowl, the Lakers sold out when they sucked, or were playoff underdogs, and the Dodgers still draw for the most part when they were mediocre. LA loves it's teams, and the experience of live sports.

This is why they NFL is retarded. If they knew what's best for them, they get a team in LA right now. LA is a market of loyal fans. Not the loudest, but they arrive for games.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
Funny think, I'm not arguing anyone from MN... lol.

For the record, yes MN is all about the Vikings, BUT, if the Wild ever win something, I think this will go back to a hockey state in no time. They pride themselves on hockey, notice the Mighty Ducks was all in MN, and that's because MN is just waiting for a hockey team to give them that first Stanley Cup. Until then though, it's all about the Vikings and football.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:53 PM »
that whole angel thing is a recent phenomena. i have cousins in Alta Loma that i stayed the summer with and we went to a couple of quake /lake elsinor storm/ angel games (back when they had chillie davis, tim salmon, jim edmonds, jt snow [went to the game where that bitch got cracked with a bat])  and it was pretty empty and you saw a lot of dodger apparel out there  as well. when the angels started winning and got that world series win, it was like clipper fans coming out when they made the playoffs.