Author Topic: Where my Reggae/Dub heads at? ..even if you're curious check this shit out..  (Read 462 times)

Don Seer

i've always liked my reggae.. but never knew much really.. till lately..

good friend of mine is a long time reggae/dub fan.. and advised me to check out a book called "the rough guide to reggae".. picked up the latest edition cheap from amazon marketplace.. its a huge tome.. but i'm working through it..

trying to work out which era of jamaican music i like the most..

i seem to like lee perry (especially the Super Ape album)... and on the dub side.. Scientist.

lee perry - zions blood -
lee perry - croaking lizard -

perry produced some real classics.. like..

junior murvin - police and thieves    (covered by the clash)

max romeo - war in a babylon 

max romeo - chase the devil    (sampled by "the prodigy")

another thing.. there are two jamaican movies (kind of the "boys in the hood" and "juice" of reggae..) which are The Harder They Come (starring Jimmy Cliff) and Rockers... both have good soundtracks..

three classics from the Harder They Come soundtrack

007 (shanty town) by desmond dekker  (this is the same guy that did "israelites" that everyone knows...)   also my current fave of that early roots reggae sound (post ska)

this ones great with headphones...  scotty - draw your brakes

and this one.. is the lead song from the movie
jimmy cliff - harder they come

as far as the modern stuff goes... i love damian marley and stephen marleys stuff

i dont like sizzla apart from one track... which is the riddim for worldwide love.. that shit fucking bumps!

find this without the toasting over the top.. its amazing in a car with a good system

nearly forgot.. fuckiing love some barrington levy stuff.. he's collabed with a bunch of rappers so you've all prob heard of him before too

this is my jam right now..
barrington levy - teach the youth

this one is sick too..
barrington levy - black roses

dont forget.. ALL this rap shit owes a debt to jamaican music.. beats/riddims from the producers and deejays+toasting/rappers.. its all the same principles.. just that they were doing it in the 70s

of course i've been listening to much more bunny wailer, tosh, burning spear.. but if you have any recommendations holla!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:41:55 PM by Don Seer »

Nat Turner-reincarnated

yea eye like reggae.........going to check these songs out......... what is that book? basically the history of reggae?

Muhfukka

i like that lee perry shit do you have a download link for that album? i have always liked reggae but i don't know about too many reggae artists

Don Seer

try soulseek :)

yea eye like reggae.........going to check these songs out......... what is that book? basically the history of reggae?

yeah its much more though.. it goes from earlier jamaican music right through all different sounds..

mento / ska / rocksteady / early reggae / roots reggae / dub / dancehall / ragga  and so on

The Predator

This is the heavy bass, echo chambers...Dub, i let blast on speakers :

King Earthquake

Jah Shaka

Aba Shante

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:35:34 AM by The Predator »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
The harder they come ost is classic, ill check out the other shit you posted

Elano

i've always liked my reggae..

your reggae ?

Don Seer

its an english language thing :P  kind of like saying...  i've always been a fan of reggae..

da_notorious_mack

i was brought up on this  sorta stuff...this thread annoyed me though cus its reminded me of a song i was trying to remember the title too a lil while back

and i cant even remember the fuckn artist now

Nat Turner-reincarnated

yeah its much more though.. it goes from earlier jamaican music right through all different sounds..

mento / ska / rocksteady / early reggae / roots reggae / dub / dancehall / ragga  and so on

eye was actually watching this movie called "this is england" eye think. well anyway it was about skin heads and shit out in england but what tripped me out was how reggae was apart of the skin head culture out there......but eye am going to check this book out

Muhfukka

eye was actually watching this movie called "this is england" eye think. well anyway it was about skin heads and shit out in england but what tripped me out was how reggae was apart of the skin head culture out there......but eye am going to check this book out
theres a bob marley song called punky reggae party thats called that because of the english punk band the clash

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
soulsek is the sickeest, when youve looked everywhere for something and cant find it, soulseek has it, fuckin great

Don Seer

soulsek is the sickeest, when youve looked everywhere for something and cant find it, soulseek has it, fuckin great

the watch list feature rules too.. you can set a watch for an album you cant find.. and it tells you when it see's it.. AND you can queue it even if the user has then gone so it gets it another time..

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Tenor Saw - Ring The Alarm  8)

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
bob marley - rebel hop, sick as fuck, i throw it on all my party mixes