Author Topic: Where my Reggae/Dub heads at? ..even if you're curious check this shit out..  (Read 467 times)

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
This is the heavy bass, echo chambers...Dub, i let blast on speakers :

King Earthquake

Jah Shaka

Aba Shante

That is some sick shit!!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
i've always liked my reggae.. but never knew much really.. till lately..

good friend of mine is a long time reggae/dub fan.. and advised me to check out a book called "the rough guide to reggae".. picked up the latest edition cheap from amazon marketplace.. its a huge tome.. but i'm working through it..

trying to work out which era of jamaican music i like the most..

i seem to like lee perry (especially the Super Ape album)... and on the dub side.. Scientist.

lee perry - zions blood -
lee perry - croaking lizard -

perry produced some real classics.. like..

junior murvin - police and thieves    (covered by the clash)

max romeo - war in a babylon 

max romeo - chase the devil    (sampled by "the prodigy")

another thing.. there are two jamaican movies (kind of the "boys in the hood" and "juice" of reggae..) which are The Harder They Come (starring Jimmy Cliff) and Rockers... both have good soundtracks..

three classics from the Harder They Come soundtrack

007 (shanty town) by desmond dekker  (this is the same guy that did "israelites" that everyone knows...)   also my current fave of that early roots reggae sound (post ska)

this ones great with headphones...  scotty - draw your brakes

and this one.. is the lead song from the movie
jimmy cliff - harder they come

as far as the modern stuff goes... i love damian marley and stephen marleys stuff

i dont like sizzla apart from one track... which is the riddim for worldwide love.. that shit fucking bumps!

find this without the toasting over the top.. its amazing in a car with a good system

nearly forgot.. fuckiing love some barrington levy stuff.. he's collabed with a bunch of rappers so you've all prob heard of him before too

this is my jam right now..
barrington levy - teach the youth

this one is sick too..
barrington levy - black roses

dont forget.. ALL this rap shit owes a debt to jamaican music.. beats/riddims from the producers and deejays+toasting/rappers.. its all the same principles.. just that they were doing it in the 70s

of course i've been listening to much more bunny wailer, tosh, burning spear.. but if you have any recommendations holla!

Nice thread.  I'm pretty much in the same position as you where I've been getting into reggae myself but still don't know that much about it.  I may pick up that book you were talking about, Rough Guide To Reggae.

The first Reggae artist I really got into was Lucky Dube just a few years ago.  He's my favorite artist now, and I listen to his albums more than any other artist, from any genre.  Then recently I've been listening to the reggae station they have over at www.undergroundhip-hop.com
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BIG D O

• 'G'
  • Spreadin' That Good Music....
love dub, Raggae and Dancehall music kid....good thread!!
Out Now!!

Download for free here:
www.myspace.com/d_o_beatz

CHECK THE ILLEST BLOG ON THE NET:
www.purehip-hop.blogspot.com

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
tree wuds me sing

Eek-a-Mouse

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PyEwTM0n04c&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PyEwTM0n04c&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5Orqt_QUMw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M5Orqt_QUMw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ySVg2uYuKbQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ySVg2uYuKbQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:57:52 AM by Don Jacob »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Seer

yeah i've  got eek a mouse vols 1 + 2.. and wa do dem.. pretty good stuff but his sound is quite repetitive so its hard to listen to a lot at once

going to look into tenor saw.. he was influenced by barrignton levy alot... luckily i've got the reggae tome with me at work today as being the w/e i'm off to the missus for a few days :)

(update: RIP tenor saw... he got killed by car in houston tx. in 1988.. at the age of 22)

turns out i must have had already heard !"ring the alarm".. its on a collection called "The Story of Jamaican Music: Tougher Than Tough" .. an amazing 4cd set which covers every era... its very expensive to buy... but it might be on piratebay ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:41:37 AM by Don Seer »

everlast1986

Max Romeo and The Upsetters were fucking sick. I posted the 'War Ina Babylon' album in the spot a while ago.

For more modern stuff check out I Wayne, Jah Cure, and Morgan Heritage.

Elano

i really like my reggae

'EclipZe

that lee perry music is relaxin.

The Predator

Dub,

THE MIGHTY JAH SHAKA - AT THE ROCKET LONDON(1990s)

King Earthquake live sound (turn your speakers up to hear it properly)

some roots gems,

Police In Helicopter

Rumors

Screechie Across The Border

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:55:12 AM by The Predator »

Don Seer

nice one John Holt Police In Helicopter sounds like my kinda shit.. grabbing the album for sure! :)

The Predator

BABYLON - THE ENDING OF THE CLASSIC 80s REGGAE FILM (Shaka Vs Aswad soundclash)

Beefy pulling out a machete at the dance lol, he was the man in that 80's film about the adventures of a roots/dub sound system crew.

and here is 'Dub in The Mountain' from Black Uhuru's 1986 'Brutal Dub' LP

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:45:34 PM by The Predator »

Miez

• Lil Geezy
i love reggae and that sizzla song was nice

thats one of my favourites...check out all artists on this riddim

:D :D :D

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i've always liked my reggae.. but never knew much really.. till lately..

007 (shanty town) by desmond dekker  (this is the same guy that did "israelites" that everyone knows...)   also my current fave of that early roots reggae sound (post ska)

this ones great with headphones...  scotty - draw your brakes

and this one.. is the lead song from the movie
jimmy cliff - harder they come

as far as the modern stuff goes... i love damian marley and stephen marleys stuff

Yeah man, Harder they Come soundtrack gets played at least once a week 4 me, absolute classic! Just copped the movie as well!

Hav u listened 2 Ziggy Marleys last album, Love is my Religion? Its def. worth a listen, some gr8 chilled out reggae.

Plus if you like a bit of older reggae u shud listen 2 Black Uhuru, a classic raw reggae group, and you can pick up their best of/classics for only a few quid!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Don Seer

not heard Love is my Religion.. hunting it down :)

cheers for info on babylon predator.. managed to find the movie+soundtrack easy!

i love reggae and that sizzla song was nice

i found out yest.. that the riddim is on an old tenor saw song.. whether its older than that i dont know..  the song is "lots of sign" and the riddim/dub is called "Lots of dub" on the album (fever)  (gotta love how they put the songs AND riddims on the albums!).. from what i can see in google its called the "lots of sign" riddim.. so its probably the original!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:13:42 AM by Don Seer »