Author Topic: Who are you favorite sport teams and why ?  (Read 959 times)

herpes

Who are you favorite sport teams and why ?
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:59:32 PM »
New York Mets - My father was a Mets fan so I followed suit.  Why did I have to be born in the 80's when the Mets were a good team.  It just leads to a very lonely and painful existence.

Chicago Bulls - When I was 5-6 years old I really got into basketball but no one in my family followed basketball and the only player I knew was Michael Jordan and he played for the Bulls so I became a Bulls fan.

Miami Dolphins - Followed my dad on this one, he was  Jets fan but when they moved to Jersey he said fuck em.

New York Rangers - I got into hockey and had an illegal cable box and I just happened to watch the Rangers more then the Islanders... thank god.  Plus I became a fan in 92-93 when they sucked

St. Johns college basketball - I really started following them the year before they went to the elite 8 since St Johns is in Queens.  So I followed them and still do even though the program has turned into a complete and utter joke.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
Re: Who are you favorite sport teams and why ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »
Sf Giants -  Both of my parents and their families grew up in San Francisco and the bay area and yeah basically the Giants are in my blood, from the first second I could walk I loved everything about the Giants and will be a diehard Giant fan till the day I die.

Sf 49ers - pretty much what I said about the Giants applies here also

Indiana Pacers - This is where I am different from everyone else in my family, I got into the NBA in 1992 when I was 8 years old and randomly just loved the Pacers right away and have never looked back and that will never change.  Reggie Miller is my hero as far as athletes are concerned.

College Football -  Alabama   :  My Dad is from the bay but his dad was from the South and my Dad grew up loving Alabama football and I followed suit, I remember being a little kid watching him root so hard for the Crimson Tide and I became the same way, loved them my whole life.

College Basketball - North Carolina :  Again I followed my Dad on this one, I grew up watching him idolize the Tar Heels and I followed right there with him

I am 24 and every team I just listed was my favorite team when I was 7 years and all of these teams will be my favorite teams when I am 70 years old and until the day I die, I am a true Sports fan to say the least

DIP DIP SET SET

'EclipZe

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
Toronto Raptors - Loved them since VC. After that CB4. Even if my favorite player was Kevin Garnett I still loved the raptors more

Feyenoord Rotterdam - As a kid I loved soccer and followed my uncle with this one

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Raiders - Pops was from Oakland, got me hooked when I was 8.

Spurs - Dont really know why actually. I became a huge David Robinson fan back in his early years...and they just stuck with me.

USC - Just a southern Cali thing

Other team sports - Dont matter.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »
NFL - Miami Dolphins - thanks to my dad, I grew up LOVING football. I started watching football at 4 years old. the first game I watched was a Dolphins game. I soon became a huge Marino/Dolphins fan ever since, buying jackets, hats, jerseys, posters, going to games, etc..

NBA - LOVE it, but never had a fave team.

the other sports I don't watch.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »
Raiders - growing up in Cali in the 80's, one thing, Starter Jackets. Everyone had them and everyone had those Los Angeles Raider hats. I started watching football, saw Marcus Allen, Bo Jackson, and I was hooked. These dudes were the coolest muthaphukkaz on the planet to me.

Angels - Jim Abbott. I liked baseball, but never really picked a team. My dad was an Angel fan, but you'd see me pumping my fist like Kirk Gibson rounding the bases too. But when Jim Abbott came, I watched every game he pitched, I checked the newspaper daily to see if he pitched and if it was on TV. I learned about pitching rotations and everything about baseball just because I was trying to watch Jim Abbott.

Lakers - Anyone who grew up as a child of the 80's in LA, and didn't like the Lakers is a hater, plan and simple. When you have Magic and Kareem everyday on TV, you are a fan just because it's almost culture. They kept winning and when they won titles, it was everywhere. To me, Magic Johnson was the greatest player ever to me, when I played pick up games I always passed, rarely shot the ball, and have been a Laker fan ever since.

USC - As a life long Norte Dame fan, I was so sadden to see them fire Tyronne Willingham. I never thought I'd be a USC fan, ever, I rooted for UCLA if I rooted Pac-10, and Norte Dame every year. But after Willingham was fired, I found myself wanting Norte Dame to lose, every week. I was cheering for USC during their rivalry games, and it's almost out of spite that I root for USC. How long before I go back to my Catholic peoples, maybe never.

Green Bay Packers - My high school teammate is Nick Barnett, their starting linebacker. So I catch Packer games now that I'm in the Mid-West. But I still watch Direct TV so I can watch my Raider games.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:35 PM »
Baseball- Well,i grew up in Santa Monica and you really can't go anywhere without seeing a dodger cap or some cholo in a dodger jersey. plus everyone i knew growing up played for some minor league team called the Dodgers. Also when we moved to bakersfield the Minor league team here was the Bakersfield Dodgers. It was cool cuz i saw ALOT of legendary modern day dodgers play before they got big like Mike Piazza , Hideo Nomo,Eric Karros, ect..  Plus Mike Piazza looked like my uncle.  When i really started getting into baseball however it was when i was in 95' i want to say, when i was staying at my cousins house in Alta Loma. He was a huge angels fan and i just remember having a blast watching the old school CALIFORNIA ANGEL team that had tim salmon, jt snow, jim edmonds, chillie davis, gary disarcina, young garrett anderson, damion easley , chuck finley, jim abbott, troy percival , ect. anyway, I just stuck with both teams because this was before interleague play ever happened. I guess now i lean more towards the Dodgers because the fanbase seems more authentic....i don't like how a lot of angel fans just jumped on the bandwagon after they won the world series. but make no mistake i want both teams to win

basketball- always has and always will be the lakers, i remember growing up and having a little magic johnson basketball hoop in my room and playing with that all day long. Then i remember in grade school we'd always pick who we were , and of course everyone would be MJ or Magic, but since i was a taller kid (don't know what happened) growing up i was always the Center, so i remember EVERY Recess being Kareem, and laying the smack down with my sky hooks. But that's always been my team, in basketball. didn't like the bulls because EVERYONE did back in the day. I hated the spurs because i thought David Robinson was a gay mormon or something. I had no love for the knicks, and even though SHaq and Penny were THE dynamic duo, i couldn't get past the whole Disney feel of the team. Loved the elderly showtime era, loved the nick van exel/eddie jones/cedric ceballos era, loved the kobe shaq era, didn't like the kobe by myself era, but i'm really liking the Kobe/gasol/odom/bynum era.

Football- i always get a lot of shit because i have two teams. I love the cowboys and the raiders. growing up i didn't know there was a conflict. My whole mom's side of the Family was ALLLLLL cowboys and my dad's side was all Raider nation. They all got along every sunday. everyone would wear their tim brown/emmitt smith/aikman/ bo jackson jersey and that was that. we'd watch both games and every one went home happy. I liked both, i thoroughly enjoyed watching both teams. My Raider uncles would come over and watch the cowboys beat the bills TWICE  and routed for them. I didn't know the difference so my allegiance was to both. But the older i got the more shit i got for liking both. i mean growing up it was like choosing gangs....anyone from southern cal knows what i'm talking about. the 49er kids.....they had their side of the yard and they were usually the bratty white kids who had every ninja turtle toy INCLUDING The BLIMP...FUCK THEM.....then there were the raider kids who were the lil cholos in training....then you had the cowboy fans who were a lil bit of both  groups mixed together, i was always the social butterfly so every group i hung with always gave me shit about liking the other, but when push came to shove i've always maintained my support of both, even in the turbulent times  both have faced, i have stood and said that i like both......so what happens when they play each other you might ask? well i use to play the political role and say "oh it hurt me too much to watch" but nowadays i say fuck it...whoever needs it more that's who i want to win......the raiders ain't doing shit this year and need that low draft pick to get a quality lineman (won't happen but it's nice to fantasize) and the cowboys couldn't afford to lose to a team like the raiders. i do like both....the floormats in my car don't lie.

hockey- i don't watch it don't like it, but i go for the mighty ducks or ducks now i guess they're called since i loved the movies.

college basketball- ucla........c'mon now who else am i giong to say?
college football- USC.........c'mon now who else am i going to say?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

WestCoasta

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »
Dodgers  -      my parents, my mothers parents, myself and all my siblings were born and raised in LA
                      been going to Dodger Stadium since I was like 6 years old
                      they're the home team plus they got the best broadcaster ever for all the games added in with all the tradition and stuff

Lakers    -      again being from LA, who am I going to like, the Clippers?
                     I grew up watching Laker games with my dad and always can remember Chick Hearn and Stu Lantz on KCAL 9
                     my dad always told me how dope the Showtime era was and he saw some big games
                     I remember the 90's being bad for the Lakes but once 2000 rolled up how could you not love that shit

Ducks    -        my brother got me into hockey about 4-5 years ago, the Ducks were his team, he didn't like the Kings for some reason
                      I just followed with him for fun and watching the games was exciting, especially the year they won the Stanley Cup
                      I don't watch a ton of games but I definitely check out the playoffs since that's when real hockey is played

NFL       -       never had a team, never will
                     I was just a little kid when the Rams and Raiders were in LA but I always remember liking football as a whole
                     watching all the games on Sunday not paying attention to teams

thisoneguy360

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »
Seattle Mariners- I grew up watching Griffey back when he was arguably the best player in baseball and have been a mariners fan my whole life.

Seattle Supersonics Oklahoma Thunder- Fuck this shit

Seattle Seahawks- Gotta rep where i'm from.....

Dallas Cowboys- I wasn't really raised on pro football but I always loved watching the Cowboys, have always been a huge fan of Emmit Smith, Aikman, etc and still root for them in all there game (minus when they play Seattle of course)

La Lakers- I didn't watch a lot of pro basketball when I was younger either but I got into the Lakers during the Shaq era and have been a big Kobe fan since. Always root for the Lakers except against Seattle, who the fuck knows what i'll do this year.

Illinois Fighting Illini- Both of my parents grew up in Illinois and graduated from University of Illinois, so I was raised on their college teams (basketball & football)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:38:32 AM by 360 »

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »

On 28 May 1888, Celtic played their first official match against Rangers and won 5-2.  The club's first ever goal was scored by Neil McCallum in this match.

The fact that strangely enough I have the same surname as Sir Neil *hint hint* might have a teensy weensy bit to do with the fact I have been brought up a Celtic supporter.  :idea:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:52:02 PM by Mac 10 »
NO MORE WAR

E-Crazy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • E-Crazy
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
First Off, Personally - I don't really like it when people have two teams, especially two teams in the same market (Angels & dodgers, clippers & lakers, giants & jets, islanders & rangers, etc.) - it's cheating, when one team does bad, you have the other team to lean on, that's not being a true fan of a team.
Anyway, I digress - here are my teams:

MLB - Angels - I was not really into baseball, when I was around 8 or 9, My dad took me to see the Angels for my first time and I was hooked since then. I remember having a "Smokin Tim Salmon" Poster On My Door when I was younger, My dad telling me about the Angels playing out in Palm springs & their minor league out there (we always go to palm springs every year since like I was 5 on a family getaway & he would show me the stadium and tell me about the time he was drunk there, lol) - but yeah, my dad was a big angel fan & it transcended down to me, even though we were definitely the minority at games (being mexican, now it's kinda even thanks to Arte)

NBA - Clippers - When I first started playing basketball, everyone was all about the Lakers (this was the Nick Van Exel/Eddie Jones Era) - But I was hooked on the Rockets, Hakeem, Sam Cassell, Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Those were the days - but It became really hard to follow them and I really hated that they traded away Cassell for Charles Barkley (I didn't like him back then for some reason, I love watching him on TNT and TV now though) - Anyway, I would always beg to go to A Rockets Game when they came into town each year when I was little, and one year we could not get tickets for some reason and instead my pops got tickets to a Clippers vs. Suns game and we sat almost courtside near the clippers bench and the whole place seemed so empty (this was the Sports Arena) but what made it so cool was the players turning around and interacting and saying "hi" and acknowledging the fans (Danny Manning & Brent Barry) - Since then I was hooked. everyone always clowns, but it's my team.

NFL - Jaguars - Well, LA Does not have a football team, I hate the Raiders & Chargers (Everyone in my family loves either of those teams) - so I was looking for a team to like (this was around when I was 11ish, Me & friends would be big into sports) - anyway, I remember my old neighbor telling me the Bills were going to beat the Jaguars and just to be a dick, I went against him and during the game I would come outside and cheer while everyone in their garage would be watching the game and Mark Brunell put on a show - taking the Jags to the AFC championship, and since then, I became a fan. But If LA Gets a Football team, My Loyalty will go to them (Im Hoping it's the Jaguars, lol I heard rumors)

NHL - Kings - Im not a huge Hockey Fan, I only have known the Kings, Don't really Like Ducks, So Kings It is, lol

MLS - Galaxy - LA soccer team, I don't like Chivas. The End.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:57:38 AM »
Manchester United, passed down many generations of the family

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »

that's cool...what's your first memory of United??

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »

that's cool...what's your first memory of United??

Probably the first match i went to, must have been in about 1989 or 90.

Beat Arsenal 4-1 in the opening game of the season !

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Kool Beenz

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
Dallas Cowboys- Like anybody from Texas the Boys are our team. plus i was watching a game the other day where they were saying that Dallas is not just Texas's team but its Americas team and how its merchandise gets the most money out of any sports team period even more than the Yankees which make them Americas Team...

San Antonio Spurs- Mainly because of Manu Ginobili but they are a great team and ive always like Duncan and Parker and thats another team everyone in texas goes for

Houston Rockets- I was never a fan of the Rockets i hate Yao Ming i think he is the biggest pussy to ever play basketball but now that my favorite player Ron Artest plays for them i am a fan.

La Lakers- just because i have always like Kobe.

Cincinnati Bengals- Mainly becuase of Chad Johnson but now that he sucks im not sure anymore